C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Small fiberglass repair question (pics).

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 10:31 PM
rajsid
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Small fiberglass repair question (pics).

What do you use to fix such small fiberglass cracks?
I am looking for a quick fix now. Is there anything that I can use to fill the crack and touch up?

A broken door spring did this to my door

Old 02-06-2010, 10:47 PM
temvette72
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That looks familiar! That darn spring! I fixed mine by using a piece of stiff paper or cardboard ( a playing card worked for me) as a backing. Grind out the edges of the crack a little and lay several layers of fiberglass mat in the void. Leave it just a little beneath the finished level of the door skin and finish with good filler. I'm no pro, but it worked for me! As far as paint touch-up, that metallic paint is a problem. Go to www.paintworldinc.com and see if they can help. I just repainted almost an entire fender of my 72 with a rattle can (!) of their touch up paint and it turned out awesome! Good luck!

Temvette72

Last edited by temvette72; 02-06-2010 at 10:52 PM.
Old 02-06-2010, 10:59 PM
rajsid
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by temvette72
That looks familiar! That darn spring! I fixed mine by using a piece of stiff paper or cardboard ( a playing card worked for me) as a backing. Grind out the edges of the crack a little and lay several layers of fiberglass mat in the void. Leave it just a little beneath the finished level of the door skin and finish with good filler. I'm no pro, but it worked for me! As far as paint touch-up, that metallic paint is a problem. Go to www.paintworldinc.com and see if they can help. I just repainted almost an entire fender of my 72 with a rattle can (!) of their touch up paint and it turned out awesome! Good luck!

Temvette72
I am a big fan of your rattle can work now
I have some fiberglass cloth lying around. Will that work?
What type of filler did you use?
Old 02-06-2010, 11:04 PM
SD71VETTE
Instructor

Old 02-06-2010, 11:13 PM
demonx
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I was researching fibreglass repair on my 1970 I was told to use Vynilester resin and not the common Polyester.

There are all different types of fibreglass and for our old vettes you need the vynilester. It's only slightly more expensive.

The fibreglass supplier will be able to hookyou up with the mat and hardener to match.

Just make sure when you lay it to make sure to get all the air out from underneath. Squeeze it out.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:58 PM
temvette72
Racer

The random weave of mat is better for repairs than the cloth with the regular weave. I used Evercoat fillers on my car. I used two kinds of filler. One has "kitty hair" in it, which is just fiberglass threads that make it stronger. Then I used another product with no fibers in it. I found that I would get pinholes in the filler with the fibers in it, but the other stuff finished really smooth, ready to prime. I'm sorry but I can't remember the exact names of the two Evercoat fillers I used. The previous poster is correct about the resin. Just go to a good body shop/auto paint supply shop and they will hook you up.

Temvette72
Old 02-07-2010, 02:30 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

You also need to check your hinge bushings. I've seen this happen without broken springs as well. Open the door about 12 inches and see if you can lift the door up without the car moving. If you have any play, it's time to replace the bushings. They're available in the HELP section of most good auto parts stores.

It's not uncommon to find that the bushings have worn completely through. This was especially common on the 70's and 80's Monte Carlo's (Cutlass', Grand Prix etc.) with those huge doors...

Good luck... GUSTO
Old 02-07-2010, 09:58 PM
CorvetteMike2024
Corvette Junkie
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,023 Likes on 839 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by temvette72
The random weave of mat is better for repairs than the cloth with the regular weave. I used Evercoat fillers on my car. I used two kinds of filler. One has "kitty hair" in it, which is just fiberglass threads that make it stronger. Then I used another product with no fibers in it. I found that I would get pinholes in the filler with the fibers in it, but the other stuff finished really smooth, ready to prime. I'm sorry but I can't remember the exact names of the two Evercoat fillers I used. The previous poster is correct about the resin. Just go to a good body shop/auto paint supply shop and they will hook you up.

Temvette72
100%. No need for resins nowdays.

Corvette Mike
Old 02-08-2010, 08:47 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

A. Fix the door hinge/spring or the same thing will happen again.

B. Use fiberglass mat, not cloth.

Old 02-08-2010, 12:53 PM
rajsid
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
A. Fix the door hinge/spring or the same thing will happen again.

B. Use fiberglass mat, not cloth.

I am going springless. No more worries about the door panel cracking again.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:12 PM
temvette72
Racer

I went springless for a while, but having the door fall back on me as I entered/exited got to be a pain. When I bought my car, it had the cracked fiberglass like yours and no spring. When I pulled my seats out to recover them, I found the spring under the seat. So, I re-installed it, which is a little tricky. I guess the trick to prevent them from breaking is to keep the spring lubricated where it contacts the hinge.

temvette72

Get notified of new replies

To Small fiberglass repair question (pics).

Quick Reply: Small fiberglass repair question (pics).