C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what type of sandblaster you guys using???

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 10:55 PM
MikeIz 82VETTE
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

Default what type of sandblaster you guys using???

hello all,
i need to get some help as to what type and size sandblaster most weekend mechanics are using. i'd like to start doing some powder coating so i think i will use it alot. i also hear other types of blasters like "bead" and "glass" blasters. which would i need? take it easy on me i'm a newb.

also,
has anyone tried the Eastwood Powder Coating system?

thanks fellas
Old 03-22-2010, 10:58 PM
demonx
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First take a look at your compressor.

I have a AU$1800.00 - 16.5cfm compressor with a 80lt tank - and it struggles to keep up with my two air compressors. I have both pressure feed and a suction feed blasters.

Also - DO NOT use these on fibreglass or it'll look like elephant skin. I have used them on the pot metal corvette grills etc and the other steel parts successfully.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:10 PM
johnt365
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

It all depends on your budget...
Old 03-22-2010, 11:16 PM
weider1717
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 80gal 2 stage compressor and a "little blaster" blasting cabinet.

for the larger things I just have a cheapo 10 gallon wheel around deal got it from a northern tool type place.

the little blaster cabinet tho the name isn't fitting it's pretty big and is around 2500 new.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:17 AM
Mako72
Melting Slicks

Received 698 Likes on 318 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2018 C3 of Year Finalist

After pricing new large cabinets, I elected to build my own to save some money. Welded up a frame and had the local sheetmetal shop bend the sheetmetal to my dimensions. Pop rivited the sheetmetal to the frame. Turned out pretty nice and was a great project. I have a 2-stage 80-gal and it keeps up. You'll also have to look into a vac system to deal with the dust.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:25 AM
hwcoop
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Just a little 200hp model

Seriously though... For large jobs I will take my parts to a do it yourself facility, its quick as you do not have to wait for your compressor to catch up and there is no mess to clean up.
For smaller items such as small brackets I borrow a friends sandblast cabinet or use my small 10gal blaster.
I have a 60gal, 5hp single stage that is ok for small jobs but anything larger i go to the blast facility.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:05 AM
joewill
Safety Car

Received 262 Likes on 209 Posts

homemade.. works pretty good.. it folds up and fits on the back on my truck...

Old 03-23-2010, 09:59 AM
Go Vette Go
Red Road Warrior

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 284 Likes on 201 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11, '15, '19

I started out with a free standing unit from Harbor Freight - under $200 on sale. But I think the key is the compressor. I have a 6.5 HO, 60 gallon single stage compressor that could not keep up. I now have a 7.5 HP, 80 gallon dual stage compressor that cycles off & on as I work.

You can get a cheapo cabinet but make sure you get a dual stage compressor.

As far as the aggregate goes - it depends on what you are cleaning/blasting. For distributor and alternator housing, I use glass bead. For exhaust manifolds, I use a more course media (Black Beauty medium). For brackets, fan blades and pulleys, I use Black Beauty fine media.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:51 AM
stinger12
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I built my cabinet.

I have a pressure blaster for larger items. Items that are really big I take to a DIY facility like hwcoop and blast them myself.
Old 03-23-2010, 04:04 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

I've used a variety of smaller blasters but wasn't too happy with them. I now have a 20 lb pressure blaster and a 6 horse 60 gal single stage (11.5 cfm @90) compressor which handles most jobs easily. When I've got a bigger job like a frame to do I hook up my 2 horse 20 gal (6.3 cfm@ 90) compressor to the 6 horse unit, run both and I never run out of air.
Old 03-23-2010, 04:05 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by stinger12
I built my cabinet.
Impressive - looks factory made.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:34 PM
whitehause
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you keep checking, Harbor freight has their larger cabinet on sale for 219.00 pretty often. I know a lot of people bad mouth HF, but some stuff isn't too bad for low budget guys like me, besides, it's really just a metal box with a window and a pair of gloves. It also has a spot to connect a shop vac to help keep the dust down while your blsting. Put the bigger money in to a good compressor.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:11 PM
my 76 ray
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Priya
I've used a variety of smaller blasters but wasn't too happy with them. I now have a 20 lb pressure blaster and a 6 horse 60 gal single stage (11.5 cfm @90) compressor which handles most jobs easily. When I've got a bigger job like a frame to do I hook up my 2 horse 20 gal (6.3 cfm@ 90) compressor to the 6 horse unit, run both and I never run out of air.
Interesting. I have two compressors with the exact same capacities. How do you hook them together?
Old 03-23-2010, 07:18 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by my 76 ray
Interesting. I have two compressors with the exact same capacities. How do you hook them together?
I put a "T" fitting on the 6 horse unit, one end goes to the air tool or sandblaster, the other end goes to a on/off valve and then to a hose that connects to the 2 horse compressor with a quick connect. The 6 horse unit has a shutoff valve just prior to the "T" fitting, that way I can have either compressor by itself supplying air to the air tool or sand blaster or by opening both shutoff valves both compressors go to the air tool or sand blaster.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:03 PM
Mark G
Melting Slicks

Received 457 Likes on 339 Posts

You guys with larger compressors, if it won't keep up to your blaster or cabinet, you need to change to smaller tips. It makes all the difference. Here is what I use:
http://www.uniram.com/other-pb.html
Most pressure blasters come with cheap hoses and small nozzles, I'm sure it's due to cost. By cheap, I mean smaller ID and those tiny 1.5" long nozzles. Here's a hint: You can really supercharge an ordinary blaster by replacing the hose to a larger, 1/2" ID sand blasting hose and a 3" long nozzle. The spray pattern will be larger and less restriction on sand flow. Could cost $100 to do this, but the performance will go up significantly. We did this with my dad's blaster. It went from a POS to a real performer!

If you plan to powdercoat smaller parts, I would say start with a blasting cabinet first. Keep two types of media on hand: sand and glass beads. A HF blaster would be a good start.

Mark G

Last edited by Mark G; 03-23-2010 at 10:14 PM.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:00 PM
skaping
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the larger Harbor Freight cabinet. I bought it used for $100.00 The previous owner upgraded the nozzle etc like Mark G said and it works well. When I got the thing home I disassembled my cabinet. It originally comes unassembled in many pieces of flat sheet metal and the previous owner assembled it wrong. When I put it back together I used a tube of silicone caulk and caulked all the seams. Otherwise you will have dust everywhere in your garage or shop even with a dust colllector. I have a 5HP single stage compressor and an 80 gallon tank and every 10 minutes or so I stop for about 2 minutes to let it catch up.

Last edited by skaping; 03-23-2010 at 10:01 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-23-2010, 10:43 PM
Skip Burney
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by whitehause
If you keep checking, Harbor freight has their larger cabinet on sale for 219.00 pretty often. I know a lot of people bad mouth HF, but some stuff isn't too bad for low budget guys like me, besides, it's really just a metal box with a window and a pair of gloves. It also has a spot to connect a shop vac to help keep the dust down while your blsting. Put the bigger money in to a good compressor.
I have had that one for several years now and it`s filled with glass beads conne3cted to a 5 hp 2 stage and it works great. For big jobs I have a 150 lb pressure pot and hook both my 5 hp 2 stage compressers to it and it works fine for me.

Get notified of new replies

To what type of sandblaster you guys using???

Old 03-23-2010, 11:00 PM
MN80Vette
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by stinger12
I built my cabinet.

I have a pressure blaster for larger items. Items that are really big I take to a DIY facility like hwcoop and blast them myself.
I am very impressed with the blasting cabinet you made. Are you willing to share the design with me? I occasionally have parts and other things I've made that I want to blast, and so do members of the car club I belong to. It would be just for personal and club use.
Old 03-24-2010, 01:19 PM
stinger12
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MN80Vette
I am very impressed with the blasting cabinet you made. Are you willing to share the design with me? I occasionally have parts and other things I've made that I want to blast, and so do members of the car club I belong to. It would be just for personal and club use.
Let me see what I can do. I am a very busy guy, but I'll try and post some specs sometime in the next couple of weeks.
Old 03-24-2010, 02:09 PM
Mark G
Melting Slicks

Received 457 Likes on 339 Posts

I love making things for home and the shop. However, unless you have the plywood and paint and some of the other parts sitting around, I don't believe this one of those items that makes a lot of sense to build when you can buy one on sale for around $200. Plus, if you pick up a Corvette Fever and some other magazines like Popular Mechanics, etc, they routinely have 20% off HF items ....even off the sale price. That gets you in the $180 range. They have a slightly smaller bench-top unit that sells for less. You're going to have a bunch of time and trips to the store and the parts to do it. It will be very difficult to recoupe all that on a $200 item. You'll probably get more out of a HF unit too when it comes time to sell. Don't get me wrong, I'm not taking anything away from making a blasting cabinet. Just consider your costs and time. Good luck,

Mark G

Last edited by Mark G; 03-24-2010 at 02:15 PM.

Quick Reply: what type of sandblaster you guys using???