Sponsored by:

Leather seat covers question

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 01:31 PM
onefifty1
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leather seat covers question

I am recovering my '69 seats. The interior code says the seats should be vinal but I am going to use leather. Has anyone had any experience with the "Driver leather" seat covers from Eckler's? They are about $200less than the regular leather seat covers they sell. I imagine that they have a different grain to the leather. Also, when I took off the old seat covers the foam looked to be in fine condition. Should I still replace the foam? Thanks!
Old 04-14-2010, 01:48 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Unless you know the seat foam has been replaced, might as well do that too. The foam is likely to be as old as the upholstery.

Old 04-14-2010, 04:16 PM
Rotonda
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 78 Posts

I believe that the Ecklers 'Drivers Leather' is only available in black. These are made from less than perfect hides. The flaws can range from scars, to thickness to imperfections created during processing.
Old 04-14-2010, 04:36 PM
Top Flight Automotive
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 93 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by onefifty1
I am recovering my '69 seats. The interior code says the seats should be vinal but I am going to use leather. Has anyone had any experience with the "Driver leather" seat covers from Eckler's? They are about $200less than the regular leather seat covers they sell. I imagine that they have a different grain to the leather. Also, when I took off the old seat covers the foam looked to be in fine condition. Should I still replace the foam? Thanks!
The Driver Leather Seat Covers are available only in black. The hides we use to manufacture them do have some scars and/or blemishes in them when compared to the hides we use for making "restoration" type seat covers. As a result they are embossed with a slightly heavier grain than normal so that those flaws are hidden. They carry the same warranty as the restoration seats yet are less expensive. You can either ask Eckler's or contact us for a sample of the material if you like before you make your decision to purchase a set. As for the foam it is usually best to replace it also when you replace the seat covers in order to achieve a proper installation, but a certain percentage of people are able to reuse their original foam and get good results too.

Corvette America
Old 04-14-2010, 08:55 PM
Mark G
Melting Slicks

Received 457 Likes on 339 Posts

I wonder how visible the blemishes are?
I went the easy (but more expensive) route and just bought covers already mounted on new foam. Normally I go the 'more work' route, but not this time.

Mark G
Old 04-15-2010, 01:46 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Mark G
...I went the easy (but more expensive) route and just bought covers already mounted on new foam. Normally I go the 'more work' route, but not this time...

Been there, done that, too. Next time I'll pay to have the pros install them.

Old 04-15-2010, 11:50 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

I bought the real black leather from Al Knoch for my '69.

If you are going to keep your car for awhile, the nicer interior is better.

You should probably replace the foam, too. Do this once.
Old 04-16-2010, 12:23 AM
1955pirate
Racer

Default replace foam

I cast another vote for replacing the buns (foam) on your seats. I replaced the vinyl covers on my '69 with new vinyl and at the same time replaced the buns. Well worth it to do it while you are replacing the covers, leather or vinyl.
Old 04-16-2010, 07:38 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

The Driver leather covers are part of the forum sale section too! http://willcoxcorvette.com/product_i...ducts_id=26875

Our current sale thread will give you the details. The covers are made by Corvette America, I've seen and installed this cover with no problems and the look is great!

They really are a great cover and I don't think you'll be disappointed.

The sales thread is going at this link... http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...ring-sale.html

Willcox
Old 04-16-2010, 10:44 PM
CCrane65
Safety Car

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

I bought driver covers from Willcox and IMHO it was well worth the money spent as well as saved.

They are Corvette America covers and combined with the seat foam also from Corvette America they fit like a dream.

I have installed a fair amount of seat covers from both Al Knoch and Corvette America and I have to tell you that the Al Knoch covers are an extremely tight fit. You have to keep a heat gun handy to soften them up to get them over the foam and the frame far enough to get hog rings into.

If you buy Al Knoch covers, pay to have them installed. I even bought one of their CDs and let me tell you the seat covers that guy was installing were a lot lighter weight than the ones they sent me.

I can't say enough good things about the Corvette America seat covers and foam. They just fit and look great without wearing your out in the process. I have been around auto upholstery all my life and I can tell you from all my experience since 1965, these fit like they are supposed to.

Al Knoch has a great product quality wise but they admit that their foam is over sized to give the seats a more padded look.

Sorry i didn't mean to post such a long explanation but I though some practical experience might be helpful.

cc
Old 10-30-2011, 08:35 PM
drspencer
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by CCrane72
I bought driver covers from Willcox and IMHO it was well worth the money spent as well as saved.

They are Corvette America covers and combined with the seat foam also from Corvette America they fit like a dream.

I have installed a fair amount of seat covers from both Al Knoch and Corvette America and I have to tell you that the Al Knoch covers are an extremely tight fit. You have to keep a heat gun handy to soften them up to get them over the foam and the frame far enough to get hog rings into.

If you buy Al Knoch covers, pay to have them installed. I even bought one of their CDs and let me tell you the seat covers that guy was installing were a lot lighter weight than the ones they sent me.

I can't say enough good things about the Corvette America seat covers and foam. They just fit and look great without wearing your out in the process. I have been around auto upholstery all my life and I can tell you from all my experience since 1965, these fit like they are supposed to.

Al Knoch has a great product quality wise but they admit that their foam is over sized to give the seats a more padded look.

Sorry i didn't mean to post such a long explanation but I though some practical experience might be helpful.

cc
Sound like the best combo would be Al Knock leather covers, but foam from a different vendor, no?
Thanks
Old 11-02-2011, 04:10 AM
onehundred
Da-Fuzz
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I just installed the mounted driver seats in my 74 and they look fantastic. I bought them from Wilcox using the sale he has going for the forum members. Shipping was quick and the install was easy.
Old 11-02-2011, 05:47 PM
Moxy Vette
Intermediate

I recovered my seats with " Driver Leather " . They turned out great and look great. I also
put in new foam, as it had more body and is much firmer. All this stuff comes from Corvette
America if from Ecklers. Deny

Get notified of new replies

To Leather seat covers question

Quick Reply: Leather seat covers question