Sponsored by:

69 Headlight washer

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 08:28 PM
ahough76
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 69 Headlight washer

My 69 headlights operate as well as my wipers and windshield washer but I cannot get the headlight washers to spray fluid. Any ideas? Do the headlight washers only operate when the headlights are up? Any info on this system is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 06-01-2010, 09:09 PM
GD70
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I could be wrong, but I thought I read that you need to push the wiper **** inward to operate the head lamp squirters. I'm not sure if the wipers have to be going. Look in your owners manual if you have one, or buy a reprint from one of the vendors. I'm sure others will chime in.
Glenn
Old 06-01-2010, 09:30 PM
Faster Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 145 Posts

According to the Owner's Manual, pressing the wiper button activates the windshield washer for a period of time. Holding the button in activates the headlamp washers. I had to look it up because I have never considered activating the system, especially with washer fluid.
Old 06-02-2010, 06:58 AM
corvetteload
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

The lights don't need to be up to squirt. Also, the 69 washer pump system was special, had an extra pump that was supplied by the two lines from the normal pump "Y'ed" into one, this line fed the solenoid pump and then one line ran to the lights, split several times at the lights and the other port went to the wiper arms, being split along the way. This is a repro, but indicative of what it looks like:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Corve...Q5fAccessories
Old 06-02-2010, 12:59 PM
Young69Owner
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine worked after I fixed it. Shortly afterwards, the primary pump jammed, and I am putting off taking it apart to find the failure mechanism.

All I would do was push the switch down and the system worked. There is no way for the system to know if the headlights are up or down, and I could definitely see the mess I was making when they were down.

BTW - a new '69 only washer solenoid cost me $150!

Get notified of new replies

To 69 Headlight washer

Quick Reply: 69 Headlight washer