Sponsored by:

hood wont open 1975 help

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 12:13 PM
keith robinson
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default hood wont open 1975 help

i have a 75 and when i was working on suspension the hood shut can not get it open i allready put new hood release cable in it any susgestion will be appreciated thanks in advance Keith
Old 06-27-2010, 02:35 PM
08vycpe
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is an access hole in the wiper area that is plugged with a rubber grommet. Remove the grommet and trip the latch with a screw driver or angle bent tool. It's a good idea to video the process and have a tool handy BEFORE what happens happened. Alternately after you get the hood open you might want to consider hanging a secondary wire from the latch so you can pull it from under the car.

Good luck with it.
Old 06-27-2010, 03:26 PM
keith robinson
Instructor

Default hood stuck

thanks for the reply i will go and check that now and thanks for advise i will hang a wire i shure hope this works i will let you know
Old 06-27-2010, 04:55 PM
ssenay72
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good luck had the same thing happen to me. I ended up having to take the hood hinge bolts out from the wheel well.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:22 AM
stingr4y
Racer

I've been there too. Didn't know about the access hole though. I had to take carefull measurements from a friends car, and drill a small hole between the hood, and windsheld.

I like the hanging wire idea.

Good luck.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:58 AM
keith robinson
Instructor

Default hood stuck

well i finally got hood up could not get hood to release threwaccess hole had to unbolt hood from front and rsise hood the problem was hood needed adjusted in the cross cable so both hood latches would open all the way did install emergrncy cable down threw fender well thanks everyboy for the help Keith
Old 06-29-2010, 08:49 AM
08vycpe
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to see you got the hood open. You're not the only one with this experience. You realize of course that there are access holes on both sides of the car to release both latches. That usually works. If the latch and the striker are out of alignment you might have to rap on the hood or push down as the latch is in the released position.

I used a stainless steel plant hanger wire I bought for $2.59 as an emergency release. It won't rust, has a rubber covered swedge and is pretty strong.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:17 AM
keith robinson
Instructor

Default hood release

thanks again i did not see access hole on right side i will look again thanks for imagies that will work nice now i can start drivingthis has been a long three yeard frame project thanks again Keith
Old 12-08-2010, 01:28 PM
dhest1923
2nd Gear

Default Hood Stuck

One side of the hood latched and the other side would not open. Finally prized the left side enough to spring the latch.

Then I modified the latch system by adding a cable as shown in the pictures. Items are available from Lowes. Obtained some 1/8th cable and ferules (1/8") and swaged them as shown in the pictures.

The cable lanyard lays alongside the hood, is attached with black electrical tape and exits at the left front grill.

Could not determine how to attach pictures, but if interested, I'll send the pictures to you. dh

Get notified of new replies

To hood wont open 1975 help

Quick Reply: hood wont open 1975 help