What size battery should I get?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 10:15 PM
Mpls Funk
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Default What size battery should I get?

Hi,
I have a current leak somewhere that I have to find...my battery is always dying on me. So I need to buy a new one (again). what size do you all recommend (cold crank amps)? Considering I'm in MN and only drive it during warm months...I wouldn't think I would need a ton of CCAs? I just have a small block engine.

Also - aside from the obvious (fix the current leak), do you have any suggestions about how to get the battery to keep its charge? I remove the cable when it's not in use...but it still seems to die. Would it help if I bring the battery in the house during the cold months? Any other suggestions?

Thanks!
Old 07-03-2010, 10:52 PM
Roughrider
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Leaving the "fix the current leak" aside, your car uses either a size 24 (top post terminals) or 74 (side post terminal). My '69 has top post mounts. While we all have our preferences in battery make (I won't open that can of worms), look for a battery with the highest cold cranking amps and largest reserve capacity. You won't always find the most cold cranking amps with the biggest reserve capacity in the same battery. In your case, maybe reserve capacity is the more important factor...that's your call.

You can buy and install a cable attachment where you can turn the current on and off without having to remove and reinstall the cable. They're inexpensive and most auto supply stores carry them.

What I do in the off-season is leave the battery connected and have a Battery Tender Plus attached the entire Winter. You can remove the battery if you like and store it in a room temperature environment.
Old 07-03-2010, 11:59 PM
mds3013
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I use the AC Delco ACD78-60. Plenty of power for my stock L82. Also has a handle which helps getting it in and out. I keep a Black and Decker tender on it 24/7. They are $20.00 from Lowes. mike...

Last edited by mds3013; 07-04-2010 at 12:02 AM.
Old 07-04-2010, 10:28 AM
theother_bob
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd suggest a solar powered trickle charger and maybe a battery switch.
Old 07-04-2010, 11:12 AM
427SIXPACK
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 431 Likes on 258 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

NOT FACTORY...............
BUT...........the OPTIMA yellow top has worked amazing for me.........never needs a charge, never dies, even in the garage all winter ...........AWESOME !!!
Old 07-05-2010, 02:04 PM
Mo.red69
Navigator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery

Red OPTIMA with a Battery Tender Plus has worked for the past six years without problem.
Old 07-05-2010, 11:41 PM
Dantana
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i use one with 795 CCA's, no problems. i just unplug the + terminal when I'm not using the car for extended periods. I also use a a bettery tender at times, but until i find my slow drain, which I think I may have, i'll stick with unplugging the cable.

Get notified of new replies

To What size battery should I get?

Quick Reply: What size battery should I get?