Sponsored by:

tire selection?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 11:47 AM
SWM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tire selection?

Am planning to pick up a 1980 Corvette which needs a tire change. Car is stock and remain stock. Looking to replace the tires with 255/60/15 (optional correct factory size I believe). Have been told that the 1980 Corvette handles better with the 60 series verse the 70 series. On "Tire Rack" they offer three tires in this size: Firestone Firehawk Indy 500's (very good owner reviews), BF Goodrich Radial TA's, and Goodyear Eagle GT II.

This car will be primarily used by my teenage son to go back and forth to school, so we are not looking for ultimate high speed or track handling performance, but a dependable decent lasting tire which reduces the affects of hydroplane.

Need the raised white letter tires, not black walls.

Appreciate any advice from experience from anybody on the site who have used any of these tires. There is not quite a $100 difference for the set between the lowest and most expensive of these tires.

I should add that this car will not be driven in the snow, but will see rain.

thanks!

Last edited by SWM; 08-02-2010 at 11:50 AM. Reason: weather
Old 08-02-2010, 11:55 AM
Grumpy 427
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts

I am running 255/60/R/15 Cooper Cobra Gt radials on my 1980. They seem to work well so far. I got them for $98.00 a tire taxes paid. That was through a buddy of mine who works at a service shop, that was his cost. There is a 100% markup on tires here anywhere else. Goodyear quoted me $900.00 for 4 mounted and balanced, i was in total shock.

Old 08-02-2010, 12:05 PM
Roughrider
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I've had the BFG's and Cooper Cobra's and can say both are fine tires. I wouldn't hesitate to have either. I've heard many good things about the Firehawks but have no personal experience with them. The reviews of the Goodyears seem to be mixed from what I've read, but again...no personal experience.

Most of my family's cars wear Coopers...I like the quality and I like dealing with the seller...a locally owned company that gives great customer service. I don't usually see that so much anymore with chain tire retailers. Things like that make a difference to me.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:33 PM
iokepakai
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Firestones

Got the Firestones 255/60/15,look great and perform well in the rain.Paid close to 600.00 for tires, mounting and balancing here in Hawaii....

Get notified of new replies

To tire selection?

Quick Reply: tire selection?