C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1week / 970 miles later - a couple of questions and a youtube video of 'the sound'

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 10:02 AM
LeSkid
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

slightly delayed reaction but:

Originally Posted by PKguitar
Well, I just go ahead and fart when I am in the seat, no need to get out as I am pretty much always wearing pants, and usually underwear too, and I have a convertible.
You crack me up! I re-read what I wrote and it DOES sound like I'll actually pull over and get out of the car to let one rip! I'm not quite that **** lol.

NO FARTING ALLOWED IN MY VETTE. All farters will be left road-side.

Revised phrase: Sometimes you'll have to get out of the car and MESS with the seats to free-up the clasp
Old 09-22-2010, 05:35 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by LeSkid
slightly delayed reaction but:

You crack me up! I re-read what I wrote and it DOES sound like I'll actually pull over and get out of the car to let one rip! I'm not quite that **** lol.

NO FARTING ALLOWED IN MY VETTE. All farters will be left road-side.

Revised phrase: Sometimes you'll have to get out of the car and MESS with the seats to free-up the clasp
Putting flatulence aside what have you found?
Old 09-23-2010, 09:57 AM
LeSkid
Instructor

Originally Posted by paul 74
Putting flatulence aside what have you found?
Paul
Not that there was much doubt anymore but I got someone else to drive so I could jump-out at stops if we heard it. When peeking underneath, I can actually watch - the individual clunks I hear, along with the steady clatter is indeed the exhaust / cross-member. As noonie suggested, I'll get the mounts / clamps looked at when she's up on the hoist (whenever I nail-down the hoses I need to change)

I'm now relaxed. As other have said, after the shakedown road trip, that's not much of an issues list AND none of the issues actually require immediate attention. (oh yeah, the clock doesn't work)

What can I say about a group of people who all demonstrate genuine interest and such a willingness to help, even for complete forums noobs like myself?

I can't imagine repeating the past week without your help so I thank all of you for your insight and input!

I'm a happy / relaxed new corvette owner thanks to all of you.

Andre in Montreal
Old 09-23-2010, 11:05 AM
Derrick Reynolds
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15, '17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Paul
Not that there was much doubt anymore but I got someone else to drive so I could jump-out at stops if we heard it. When peeking underneath, I can actually watch - the individual clunks I hear, along with the steady clatter is indeed the exhaust / cross-member. As noonie suggested, I'll get the mounts / clamps looked at when she's up on the hoist (whenever I nail-down the hoses I need to change)
All you need is a new set of muffler bearings. Make sure to get the blue ones, they are the best. The guy at the auto parts store will try to talk you into the red ones, but don't go for that.

Wait a minute, did you just say that you weren't so "****" as to get out of your car to pass gas? Sounds to me like there has to be a contradiction there somewhere.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:23 PM
PhilaScott
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts

I would offer that running the tank all the way to empty is probably not the best thing to do. You don't know what's in the bottom and sucking sediment or water into the engine is not such a great idea. I don't let the tank go below 1/2 if it can be helped.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:01 PM
mds3013
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Clock may just need cleaning. I bought a new one back in the 90's but after cleaning and lubing the old one it now runs just as good as the new one. Let the guys know when you are ready to fix it and they/we can give you the procedure. mike...
Old 09-23-2010, 09:56 PM
LeSkid
Instructor

Originally Posted by PhilaScott
I would offer that running the tank all the way to empty is probably not the best thing to do. You don't know what's in the bottom and sucking sediment or water into the engine is not such a great idea. I don't let the tank go below 1/2 if it can be helped.
I've heard that many times in my life but umm... full or empty, the fuel is drawn from the bottom of the tank anyway, no? IE what's the difference? Being a frost-bitten Canadian boy, I know all too well about keeping your tank full in winter. Never carried methyl hydrate (aka gas line antifreeze) nor have I ever needed it. In warmer months, however, I've always been pretty relaxed about fuel levels.

Originally Posted by PKguitar
All you need is a new set of muffler bearings. Make sure to get the blue ones, they are the best. The guy at the auto parts store will try to talk you into the red ones, but don't go for that.
Way ahead of you.... on top of new muffler bearings, I'm going preventive and have also ordered 8 brand new piston return springs. Better safe than sorry.

Originally Posted by mds3013
Clock may just need cleaning. I bought a new one back in the 90's but after cleaning and lubing the old one it now runs just as good as the new one. Let the guys know when you are ready to fix it and they/we can give you the procedure. mike...
I will be taking you up on that! thanks again
Old 09-24-2010, 09:50 AM
PhilaScott
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=LeSkid;1575419147]I've heard that many times in my life but umm... full or empty, the fuel is drawn from the bottom of the tank anyway, no? IE what's the difference?

Two questions for you.:

1. Which do think introduces more sediment, water or gas?

2. If you have a tank of gas that has small amounts of water in it, will the
water be on the bottom of the tank OR on the top?
Old 09-24-2010, 10:57 AM
LeSkid
Instructor

[QUOTE=PhilaScott;1575422243]
I've heard that many times in my life but umm... full or empty, the fuel is drawn from the bottom of the tank anyway, no? IE what's the difference?

Two questions for you.:

This has good debate potential. I'm not claiming that my opinion is correct. It is just my opinion.

Way I see it though, when there's sediment at the bottom, it will be agitated and mixed-in to the fuel as it sloshes-about in the tank. The agitated fuel / sediment mixture is drawn from the bottom of the tank and the fuel filter then does it's job. Unless I'm way off, I don't really see how sediment can ever 'accumulate', unless the car rarely sees the road. Mine is to be a daily driver in the summer so.....

As for water, same thing. When at rest, there will be separation into layers but there's no way that separation will survive a trip to the corner store (again, only an issue if the car sits most of the time)

BUT!!! when it's -40 outside in the winter and you do end up with condensation in your empty tank, it clearly sinks to the bottom in as short a period as overnight, freezing-up your gas lines and that's when you need your methyl hydrate.

So since my 76 is unlikely to be driven in february and I intend to drive her everyday in the non-winter months, I don't believe water / soot are concerns, given my use of the car. I'm sure if you only put-on 1500 miles a season, then I surely agree that you'll need to exercise more caution.
Old 09-24-2010, 11:02 AM
PhilaScott
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=LeSkid;1575422902][QUOTE=PhilaScott;1575422243]

This has good debate potential. I'm not claiming that my opinion is correct. It is just my opinion.

nah.. you are right. Just keep running it to empty..
Old 09-24-2010, 11:43 AM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts

Two questions for you.:

Two questions for you:

Where will water and sediment go REGARDLESS of fuel level?

Where is the fuel pickup located?

:
Old 09-24-2010, 12:05 PM
PhilaScott
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by wcsinx
Two questions for you:

Where will water and sediment go REGARDLESS of fuel level?

Where is the fuel pickup located?

:

We all know the fuel pick-up is at the bottom.

You tell ME where YOU think the water (and the impurities in it) are located in a full-tank.

Answer is:
When you drain the tank, you get what's at the top...
Old 09-24-2010, 12:34 PM
wcsinx
Team Owner

We all know the fuel pick-up is at the bottom.

You tell ME where YOU think the water (and the impurities in it) are located in a full-tank.
They will both settle to the bottom of the tank on a parked car. (And something tells me that you actually didn't realize this) That's why it only takes a small amount of water in your gas to either stall you out or make your engine run like crap. But as LeSkid pointed out to you, it takes just a bit of driving agitation to disperse those impurities throughout the tank. So your whole point of not using the bottom half of the gas tank quickly becomes moot the first time you hit a pebble in the road or turn a corner.

Answer is:
When you drain the tank, you get what's at the top...
So you're trying to tell me that water floats on gas now?

Last edited by wcsinx; 09-24-2010 at 12:37 PM.
Old 09-24-2010, 01:17 PM
LeSkid
Instructor

Originally Posted by wcsinx
They will both settle to the bottom of the tank on a parked car. That's why it only takes a small amount of water in your gas to either stall you out or make your engine run like crap.

So you're trying to tell me that water floats on gas now?
Remember old WW2 submarines. To maintain neutral buoyancy as diesel is consumed, the tanks would automatically back-fill with seawater and the fuel pickup is at the top of the tank. Not exactly a good setup for a car though!

Last time I checked, oil floats on top of water, which is why in winter, that water finds it's way into your fuel lines and freezes!
Old 09-24-2010, 01:23 PM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Remember old WW2 submarines. To maintain neutral buoyancy as diesel is consumed, the tanks would automatically back-fill with seawater and the fuel pickup is at the top of the tank. Not exactly a good setup for a car though!

Last time I checked, oil floats on top of water, which is why in winter, that water finds it's way into your fuel lines and freezes!

My dad was on a diesel sub, and I remember him relating that same story to me as a kid. It was hard to wrap my mind around the concept of intentionally dumping saltwater into your fuel tanks, but it makes perfect sense!

Quick Reply: 1week / 970 miles later - a couple of questions and a youtube video of 'the sound'