C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad Ebay Sale.......will dash parts crack if shipped by air???

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 11:46 AM
avalonjohn
Le Mans Master

Received 276 Likes on 211 Posts

Default Bad Ebay Sale.......will dash parts crack if shipped by air???

ok......I sold a super nice 68/69 dash pad (top pad) to a guy in Canada about 2 weeks ago on Ebay. He asked NO questions prior to bidding even though it was suggested. The dash had NO cracks and was as nice as the NOS one I have. It was not dry and was still soft and pliable. I posted about 6 pics or so in the auction. The guy calles me after the sale and was driving me bananas about wanting other parts (which I did not have). I could tell he was a perfectionist and frankly, I do not sell much (I am the buyer ususally........ask my wife).....anyway, I could sense he was a bit OCD so I INSISTED that I send MORE pictures of the dash, close ups and all to make sure he still wanted it. He thought it was not necessary but I did it anyway. This thing was just about mint.
So..I BUY a special box (cost me $10, did not charge him).....48' x 10' x 10".......bubble wrap the whole dash, box it, then fill the whole thing in peanuts.
The guy calls me today saying it is a complete POS..that it is all cracked all over "from sun".........that he's so pissed off he is going to throw it in the trash........At first I thought he was kidding.
Now, once before I shipped a 68 Bezel to Canada and it arrived cracked. After MONTHS of calls and paperwork, the post office paid the insurance.
WTF is going on??? Could it have cracked if it was shipped by air in an un-pressurized container??? I have never had this problem and frankly do not know what to do.
Any advice??
Old 10-01-2010, 12:00 PM
markdtn
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I have had poor luck shipping glass and dash pads. I parted a rusty '73 Eldorado convertible. For the door glass I made wooden boxes. UPS lost 1 and broke 1. They paid for the lost one, I ate the broken one. The dash pad was nice. I advertised it as pick-up only and it didn't sell. I guy wrote saying he would pay my asking price ($20) if I would agree to ship it. I boxed it as nice as I could, but it was in bad shape when it arrived. I gave him his money back, he ate the shipping. I do not ship glass or dash pads anymore. Sorry for your luck, 68-69 usually do better than the later ones because they don't have the speaker holes.
Old 10-01-2010, 12:01 PM
moosie982
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Sorry, but I cant understand how it can turn into a piece of crap in shipping unless they used it for a hockey stick, etc. and then again that wouldnt give it cracks from the sun. sounds like maybe he wants a discount or a refund or maybe you oughta just get it back from him and cross him off your list of who to sell to. Sounds fishy to me. Good luck. Peace,,, moosie
Old 10-01-2010, 12:09 PM
avalonjohn
Le Mans Master

that's what I am thinking........the guy has "5" total feedbacks. That in and of it self made me roll my eyes when he bought it. I asked him to send me pics of the damage. When I get home I will post pics from the auction, as well as those I took right before I shipped it to him......
Prior to shipping this guy must have called me about 8 times, hounding me for pics of other parts that I really did not want to sell. I (sorry I did this) gave him the number of a friend (thank goodness he is still my friend) who has many parts. This guy called him (I swear) 8 TIMES in one day.......my pal was busy and could not get to the phone.......8 TIMES!!!!!!

THIS is why I hate selling stuff...I give up
Old 10-01-2010, 12:11 PM
avalonjohn
Le Mans Master

PS........He's a NOOBIE member here at my suggestion......sorry guys
Old 10-01-2010, 12:31 PM
joewill
Safety Car

Received 263 Likes on 210 Posts

people talk about parting out cars etc.. I just will not go to the trouble of selling parts, worrying about buyers from hell, trips to post office etc.. go get boxes and bubble wrap.. buyers possible disputing charges on Paypal that I could never win. the time you spend fetching materials, packing, shipping, hauling to the shipping office, setting up tracking.. plus the sticker shock some shippers give you to ship. taking photos, answering questions on EBAY. Aint worth any $$ I might make..

just one crazy buyer can kill your enthusiasm for your hobby.. it's happened to me before.

I have boxes and boxes of household goods and electronics that the family wants me to sell on EBAY.. I am pretty sure I will just give it all to goodwill and take the charity deduction.
Old 10-01-2010, 12:46 PM
avalonjohn
Le Mans Master

I agree, I give up.......ok, guys, all my parts are now free, come and get them!!!!!!!

I just fired off an email to this guy, attached all the additional pics I sent to him after the sale and prior to shipping......waiting for his response and waiting for pictures of the "sun cracks"......How can a frig%n 43 yr old dash survive this long and get cracked in a NEW oversized box protected by all sorts of styrofoam???

Bad week for AJ......first the alleged "Judge" calls my car a "non survivor"..then the Canadian Warlord cusses me out on the phone.

I don't get it.....I woke up in a great mood!
Old 10-01-2010, 12:50 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Maybe it has survivor patina on it now and is worth even more money. Tell the buyer he owes you more money.

PS- aircraft cargo holds are pressurized to the same degree as passenger cabins.
Old 10-01-2010, 12:50 PM
rajsid
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ask him to send you close up pictures of the cracks and everything that he sees wrong with it. Don't argue with him (yet). This will help you build a case with eBay.

Original parts sale is a pain. Some of the newbie guys on eBay really wants new repo parts, but will bid on used original used parts thinking that they will get it cheaper.

btw.. post a link to your listing or pics. Would love to see the item being discussed here.
Old 10-01-2010, 12:54 PM
avalonjohn
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Mike Ward
Maybe it has survivor patina on it now and is worth even more money. Tell the buyer he owes you more money.

PS- aircraft cargo holds are pressurized to the same degree as passenger cabins.
thanks.........i was not sure but that answers that......
Old 10-01-2010, 12:55 PM
BBCorv70
Melting Slicks

Received 108 Likes on 91 Posts

Maybe extreme cold a high altitudes froze it?

Does rust count as survivor patina?

Sounds like a scam...
Old 10-01-2010, 01:43 PM
markids77
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's how I deal with claims like this... have him send the part back to you. Even if you have to make a return freight payment, if the part you get back is not the part you sent out you're home free... tell the scammer to kiss your posterior (politely) and fight back if he files a PayPal "not as advertised" claim. You'll have the photos ofthe original item, receipts for the special packaging, and the "defective" item as evidence. If you do get the same part back which you sent, file a claim with the carrier... I hope you did insure the thing????
Old 10-01-2010, 01:47 PM
thatcorvetteguy
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

avalonjohn,

Are you the buyer of the 68 grills on fleebay 2 weeks ago? I bid up $200
I'm guessing you were the winning bid of $250?
Old 10-01-2010, 02:19 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

...Maybe it has survivor patina...
I love it.

Smile, AJ.
Have a good weekend,
Old 10-01-2010, 02:24 PM
427SIXPACK
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 456 Likes on 271 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by avalonjohn
ok......I sold a super nice 68/69 dash pad (top pad) to a guy in Canada about 2 weeks ago on Ebay. He asked NO questions prior to bidding even though it was suggested. The dash had NO cracks and was as nice as the NOS one I have. It was not dry and was still soft and pliable. I posted about 6 pics or so in the auction. The guy calles me after the sale and was driving me bananas about wanting other parts (which I did not have). I could tell he was a perfectionist and frankly, I do not sell much (I am the buyer ususally........ask my wife).....anyway, I could sense he was a bit OCD so I INSISTED that I send MORE pictures of the dash, close ups and all to make sure he still wanted it. He thought it was not necessary but I did it anyway. This thing was just about mint.
So..I BUY a special box (cost me $10, did not charge him).....48' x 10' x 10".......bubble wrap the whole dash, box it, then fill the whole thing in peanuts.
The guy calls me today saying it is a complete POS..that it is all cracked all over "from sun".........that he's so pissed off he is going to throw it in the trash........At first I thought he was kidding.
Now, once before I shipped a 68 Bezel to Canada and it arrived cracked. After MONTHS of calls and paperwork, the post office paid the insurance.
WTF is going on??? Could it have cracked if it was shipped by air in an un-pressurized container??? I have never had this problem and frankly do not know what to do.
Any advice??
HEADS UP:
IF YOU SELL ON FLEA-BAY
DO NOT SHIP ANYTHING TO CANADA / OR INTERNATIONAL
Old 10-01-2010, 02:26 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Originally Posted by 427SIXPACK
HEADS UP:
IF YOU SELL ON FLEA-BAY
DO NOT SHIP ANYTHING TO CANADA / OR INTERNATIONAL
Why not?
Old 10-01-2010, 02:27 PM
427SIXPACK
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Why not?
I have had nothing but headaches MIKE, long delays, customs issues............
it's just not worth the grief & wasted time..... !!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Bad Ebay Sale.......will dash parts crack if shipped by air???

Old 10-01-2010, 02:34 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

I buy stuff from US eBay sellers all the time and import it to Canada. Never had a problem, never had a delay, never had a complaint from a seller.

What are you doing different?
Old 10-01-2010, 03:16 PM
427SIXPACK
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I buy stuff from US eBay sellers all the time and import it to Canada. Never had a problem, never had a delay, never had a complaint from a seller.

What are you doing different?
I guess I mix Canada in with INTERNATIONAL but have only had a few issues with Canada, more so with other countries, long delays, customs issues, and lots of damage with difficulty getting claims paid. Just not worth the time or effort. If you look closely there are a lot of sellers that state NO INTERNATIONAL shipping............

I sell just as much stuff shipping within the USA ONLY, WITHOUT NEARLY AS MANY...... HEADACHES,
Old 10-01-2010, 03:23 PM
srs244
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

i always specify shipping to lower 48 ONLY with no exceptions. i had a member here beg me to ship him a shifter i had for sale, and since he was from here, (long standing) and was willing to pay the difference for the shipping, i made an exception. fortunately that worked out properly, but i won't just do it for the average fleabay buyer.

Quick Reply: Bad Ebay Sale.......will dash parts crack if shipped by air???