Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ZL-1 with the L-88 for sale

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 09:42 PM
ZoraC3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Craigslist ad has been flagged for removal?

I have a 1977 Corvette with a rare, L-48........horsepower delete!
Old 10-12-2010, 09:57 PM
dbeall1968
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This thread cracks me up! I am amazed at what people will say to sell a car- But stepping on the Holy Ground of the ZL-1 is blasphemous!
Old 10-13-2010, 11:37 AM
jotto
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Borowski
...you need permission to build a "clone"???

...if that's the case, there's going to be alot of Z/28, SS 396, '67 L-88, LT-1, Hemi Cuda, Hemi Charger, Shelby Mustang, Pontiac GTO etc. car owners that are going to be in deep doo-doo.
lol....
Steve contacted the owners out of respect I guess. His car is as close to a ZL-1 as you can get. Still a clone but it is what it says it is.

Not like all these genuine LT-1's etc that seem to be on the auction sites all the time. Most of the time you will find more of the rare cars on Ebay than GM even made yet the owners are convinced they have an orignal.

BTW, the car in the ad belongs to a guy called Kurt Sikora and a write up of it can be found here...
http://www.vetteweb.com/features/vem...zl1/index.html

Thanks for the info Jason!

Last edited by jotto; 10-13-2010 at 11:39 AM.
Old 10-13-2010, 12:58 PM
Tally Ho
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Out Where the Buses Don't Run, Eglin AFB/ Niceville FL
Received 1,465 Likes on 789 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by 69 Chevy
Is the other ZL1, the white coupe, that of the Kevin Suydam Collection in Washington state? I ask because I've read an account
that Rick Mears owns the only other one.
The last known location of the white one was in Kevin Suydam's collection. He bought the car from Otis Chandler's collection. The yellow one still belongs to Roger of Roger's Corvette in Florida. One of the Corvette magazines featured what they claim was a real ZL-1 convertible but Chevrolet does not verify it.
Old 10-13-2010, 04:33 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 775 Likes on 556 Posts

Originally Posted by dbeall1968
This thread cracks me up! I am amazed at what people will say to sell a car- But stepping on the Holy Ground of the ZL-1 is blasphemous!
Holy Ground? Oh, please. I can't believe how worked up people get about a couple of overpriced garage queens/paperweights.

For gosh sakes people, get a life.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:12 PM
dbeall1968
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 69427
Holy Ground? Oh, please. I can't believe how worked up people get about a couple of overpriced garage queens/paperweights.

For gosh sakes people, get a life.
http://corvettes-musclecars.com/gall...L-1+427-430HP/

Read carefully. These two cars were anything but paperweights. They were the highlight of the first 40 years of Corvette production, and today are the most valuable Corvettes around, excluding a celebrity owned or otherwise noteworthy historically important car.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:23 AM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.

Originally Posted by dbeall1968
http://corvettes-musclecars.com/gall...L-1+427-430HP/

Read carefully. These two cars were anything but paperweights. They were the highlight of the first 40 years of Corvette production, and today are the most valuable Corvettes around, excluding a celebrity owned or otherwise noteworthy historically important car.
You need to get out of the house once in a while. Corvettes are sports cars, meaning they're meant to be driven. Those two cars are a couple of garage queens owned purely to get some egos pumped up by adoring fans. I'm willing to bet your Corvette has hit higher speeds in the past year than either of those two cars.

I repeat. If it just sits there holding the floor from blowing away, it's a paperweight. Last I heard a '73 Chrysler New Yorker could duplicate that function.
Old 10-16-2010, 11:21 AM
69 Chevy
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Corvettes are sports cars, meaning they're meant to be driven. Those two cars are a couple of garage queens...
Those 2 are museum heirlooms meant to be preserved for their rightful place in automotive history.
Old 10-16-2010, 11:42 AM
MrJlr
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

"Flagged for removal" = scam

Old 10-17-2010, 09:47 AM
Big Block 69
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Tally Ho
The last known location of the white one was in Kevin Suydam's collection. He bought the car from Otis Chandler's collection. The yellow one still belongs to Roger of Roger's Corvette in Florida. One of the Corvette magazines featured what they claim was a real ZL-1 convertible but Chevrolet does not verify it.
First time I've heard of Chevrolet verifying anything.
Old 10-18-2010, 03:59 PM
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by 69 Chevy
Those 2 are museum heirlooms meant to be preserved for their rightful place in automotive history.
Rightful place in automotive history? Oh, please. Can you point out one technical aspect of those two vehicles that wasn't already in production in numerous other sports cars?

Those are '60's Chevrolets, not 1930's Bugattis.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:07 PM
dbeall1968
Melting Slicks

You need to get out of the house once in a while. Bugattis are sports cars, meaning they're meant to be driven. Those cars are garage queens owned purely to get some egos pumped up by adoring fans. I'm willing to bet your Corvette has hit higher speeds in the past year than either of those two cars.

I repeat. If it just sits there holding the floor from blowing away, it's a paperweight. Last I heard a '73 Chrysler New Yorker could duplicate that function.
Fixed!
Old 10-18-2010, 09:23 PM
pulpsmack
Advanced

Rightful place in automotive history? Oh, please. Can you point out one technical aspect of those two vehicles that wasn't already in production in numerous other sports cars?

Those are '60's Chevrolets, not 1930's Bugattis.
I would submit that as rare as a 1930s Bugatti may be, there aren't verified production numbers as low as two and "perhaps" as high as 2 digit production numbers. Frankly, I don't get the hostility, especially from a Vette guy
Old 10-19-2010, 01:41 PM
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by pulpsmack
I would submit that as rare as a 1930s Bugatti may be, there aren't verified production numbers as low as two and "perhaps" as high as 2 digit production numbers. Frankly, I don't get the hostility, especially from a Vette guy
No hostility here, just pure puzzlement. Why worship something that just sits there? Any car can do that. That doesn't qualify as rare in my book. AFAIK, there's no significant history to either of those cars. Did either of these cars win any significant races or set any automotive records (that is, any records requiring that the ignition switch actually be switched on at the time)?

Like I said, I'm just puzzled. Maybe it's just the (automotive) engineer in me that just can't make sense of worship of things that have never accomplished anything.

Can you explain this phenomenon to me? I'm sincerely interested in understanding this.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:48 PM
pulpsmack
Advanced

Can you explain this phenomenon to me? I'm sincerely interested in understanding this.
I think you have partially answered the cause of confusion... logic. From the "too rare to enjoy practically", there is little argument in favor of the cars that would appeal to logic. From a historical point of view, I cannot comment, because I have no knowledge of racing history. From the standpoint of the enthusiast or collector, the appeal is to the heritage. The ZL-1 and L88s were cars that had no business being made. They were so much car that GM made them price prohibitive and option restrictive to discourage purchase, yet they still produced them for the public. In terms of application these were production cars that in pure stock form could make 11s, and with modern tires can hit 10s. Those who love musclecars seem to be particularly keen on rarity and performance... something these cars epitomize. It’s hard not to have a draw towards a car that can pretty much take anything out (stock) in musclecar land shy of a Cobra. Same thing with Superbirds and other such supercars.

Quick Reply: ZL-1 with the L-88 for sale