Sponsored by:

Firewall Bonding Adhesive

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 08:01 PM
stinger12
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Firewall Bonding Adhesive

I'm finally ready to bond my firewall to the birdcage. I usually use Marine-tex whenever I bond a panel in place, but this area calls for another product. Marine-tex dries too hard and is going to be too brittle in this area.

I need a product that is flexible, paintable (with no swelling affects on primer/paint once it is covered) and finally it needs to dry fairly hard. I don't care if I need an application gun to apply it - I have tons of those at work which I could borrow. Please only comment if you have actually used the product before.
Old 11-21-2010, 02:04 AM
avner
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 11 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Hi Jermy

When I bond my front clip I used 3M materials:
To bond fiberglass to metal: 3M, 08115.
To bond fiberglass to fiberglass: 3M, 08219.

Good Luck - בהצלחה
Avner
Old 11-21-2010, 02:11 AM
highschool67
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by avner
Hi Jermy

When I bond my front clip I used 3M materials:
To bond fiberglass to metal: 3M, 08115.
To bond fiberglass to fiberglass: 3M, 08219.

Good Luck - בהצלחה
Avner

I use 3M 8115 all the time. Great on FRP and SMC fiberglass to each other or steel.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:56 AM
Maine Vette
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I used a combination of Lord Fusor 128EZ and premium quality polyurethane based construction adhesive (http://www.loctiteproducts.com/tds/PL_CA_PREM_tds.pdf ) on mine.

I bonded all fiberglass to fiberglass areas with Fusor only. Where fiberglass bonded to steel I used both the 128 EZ and construction adhesive. This was mainly to save a bit of cost since at $35 a tube the Fusor is really expensive. The Fusor material is super strong so you don't need more than a single bead of it to hold the firewall in place. However, the contact surfaces around the birdcage and door pillars are pretty big and I wanted to have the firewall fully seated in adhesive to prevent water from getting in and causing rust. So, first I first ran a bead of Fusor along one side of the contact surface. Next, I ran 2-3 beads of construction adhesive where needed to cover the rest of the bonding surfaces.

In reality, I think the construction adhesive alone would probably be strong enough, but I figure the combination of Fusor and construction adhesive was probably a good 'belt and suspenders approach'.

I've also used 3M materials, but mainly have used Fusor because I've found it to be a bit more affordable. A tube of comparable 3M and Fusor products costs about the same, but you get quite a bit more Fusor product in each cartridge.

Last edited by Maine Vette; 11-21-2010 at 10:59 AM.
Old 11-21-2010, 11:19 AM
SS164
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by stinger12
I'm finally ready to bond my firewall to the birdcage. I usually use Marine-tex whenever I bond a panel in place, but this area calls for another product. Marine-tex dries too hard and is going to be too brittle in this area.

I need a product that is flexible, paintable (with no swelling affects on primer/paint once it is covered) and finally it needs to dry fairly hard. I don't care if I need an application gun to apply it - I have tons of those at work which I could borrow. Please only comment if you have actually used the product before.
This is what I used to bond firewall to birdcage. Crest Ure-Seam across top and sides (hinge posts) and Crest 3500 firewall to floor.

Crest Ure-Seam Plus crestauto.com Pg. 45

Great adhesion, flexible, paintable, and this product drys faifly hard without losing flexability. Does not sag or run. About 45 minute work time. We use these products every day at the shop with excellent results.
Old 11-21-2010, 11:34 AM
stinger12
Safety Car

Bump...
Old 11-21-2010, 11:48 AM
Maine Vette
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Bump...
Bump? It had only been 15 minutes since the last post!
Old 11-21-2010, 11:59 AM
stinger12
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Maine Vette
Bump? It had only been 15 minutes since the last post!
I didn't even look at the time it was posted...my bad.
Old 11-24-2010, 01:59 AM
ikwhite
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jermy, not sure if you have bonded it yet, but my vote goes out for Lord Fusor 127EZ epoxy bonding adhesive. I also used a tube of the Fusor 800 EZ sealer/adhesive around the top outside edge, as well for a good seal, I guarantee no leaks. I love the stuff and every bit of adhesive has been replaced in my car including the rear tub all seams etc... . You will have enough time about 40 min as long as you don't fool around and have everything ready to go.

ikwhite

Last edited by ikwhite; 11-24-2010 at 02:27 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-24-2010, 02:05 AM
ikwhite
Pro

Forgot to add that I get Fusor from White and Peters here in BC, but not sure who would carry it in Calgary .

ikwhite
Old 11-24-2010, 02:31 AM
ikwhite
Pro

Sorry I had 128 EZ and that should have been 127EZ. I corrected initial post.

Also I forgot to mention that as a bonus this product can bond to primed metal as well.

http://www.lord.com/Products-And-Sol...roduct.xml/310

ikwhite
Old 11-24-2010, 06:58 AM
70BBvert
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

[QUOTE=highschool67;1575989771]
I use 3M 8115 all the time. Great on FRP and SMC fiberglass to each other or steel.[/QUOTE

That's what I used on the nose & the quarter panel & tail light panel repairs

Jim
Old 12-30-2014, 09:34 PM
BLUE1972
Race Director

Received 1,162 Likes on 741 Posts

I used west systems epoxy on most of my repairs and they are holding well. They have a free users guide on the web site.

Get notified of new replies

To Firewall Bonding Adhesive

Quick Reply: Firewall Bonding Adhesive