Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is this '72 worth?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 04:42 PM
pwsusi
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds like a fair offer. Looks like a 10-12k car IMO.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:50 PM
rod7515
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Doug, Back in August when I bought my 72 I would have gladly taken the vette you are looking at for 10k - 12k. Like I said in my earlier post I found a convertible but it was in much worse shape then the one your looking at. I do understand your statement about the bag over your head. I drove mine for about 3 weeks just to get a feel of whether it needed anything else mechanically before I started on the restoration. As much as I can say I was proud to own it I didnt want anyone to see it up close because of how ruff shape it was in. I also understand the thought of where do you stop putting money into it. I can tell you this, if I thought /found that I needed a cam because a lobe was wiped or wearing badly I would pull the motor and go over it.The metal from the worn cam is floating around in your engine and probably already embedded in the bearings. I definitely wouldnt throw the price of a new roller cam,lifters an engine if that were the case.
Let me know what you decide. When Im done with mine I know I will have over 30k in it. I probably wont be able to get that kind of money out of it but I will have the car I always wanted!
Best of luck with your decision.
Rodney
Old 01-09-2011, 07:24 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by AZDoug
He is asking a bit less than 18K.

I offered something over 10K, and less than 13K. The motor is what concerns me also, as wiped cams lobes can often generate larger repair bills than just replacing the cam and lifters.

I see $3600 in parts alone to get this to what I would consider drivable without having to wear a bag over my head, and that doesn't include unknowns like the radiator and rear control arm assemblies and related components.

Then you start refinishing the gauge cluster,and replacing door sill plates, and lock *****, etc, etc, to start looking really nice, and money piles on even more.

Plus the labor of detailing the engine compartment....

Doug
He is a fool. You would be to buy it.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:54 PM
dboz
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would look close around the windshield, especially where the vin tag is located. If there is any signs of rust around there, good chance it ran down the front of the bird cage and you may have some rot at the body mount or worse. Just saying because that passenger side pic looks a little dicey, at least at the distance you took the pic.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:55 PM
C3POL82
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 15 Posts

I think you may have more engine problems than you think. You can measure the lift on the lobes with a dial indicator, but the wear on the engine suggests you need a complete overhaul (mine did). These engine didn't last anywhere near 100k. Deduct for the engine and front end work, at least 5k from the asking price. After that, you may have a nice driver.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:18 PM
BBCorv70
Melting Slicks

Received 108 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by pwsusi
Sounds like a fair offer. Looks like a 10-12k car IMO.
Good paint (not necessarily show) and a rust free frame are worth something. An engine can be rebuilt fairly easily. The weatherstrip issue is minor. The extension can be bought separately or as part of the main weatherstrip if you're looking for originality.

$18K sounds too high for a base model which needs engine work and other misc.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:37 PM
markids77
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe your offer is fair in the current market. I might have come in a bit less for a base engine needing as much as this car still does since I also suspect there might be "issues" lurking under that newish, not show quality paint. Note that I see no horrid deficiencies in your pics, simply a general lack of "detail oriented" prep.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:23 AM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by C3POL82
I think you may have more engine problems than you think. You can measure the lift on the lobes with a dial indicator, but the wear on the engine suggests you need a complete overhaul (mine did). These engine didn't last anywhere near 100k. Deduct for the engine and front end work, at least 5k from the asking price. After that, you may have a nice driver.
The motor was supposedly overhauled sometime in the last 10 years; based on the engine paint, even under the oil seepage, I believe it. or somebody did a good job of painting the motor without overhauling it, even underneath.

Cam probably went bad due to improper break in or low zinc oil.

No biggie to pull motor and flex hone the cylinder walls if no taper or wall damage and install new rings and bearings. Or do an in car hone ring and bearing, if no taper. One is of course taking a gamble that there is nothing inherently wrong other than the cam, and it was rebuilt in the past.

Stamp pad shows evidence of some cleanup work done of deck surface.

I have an eye for rust, if this car had rust, or was even exposed to water, I would know it.

If the guy considers my offer, i will investigate the black shiny stuff on the door jam, it looked like some sort of sealant that had leaked down from the windshield, underneath the chrome trim to me.

I know you back east people find it hard to believe, but have you ever seen a 40 year old frame with not even rust colored spots on it? Not flakes, not surface rust, not even rust colored fuzz, not painted over rust pits, just original dull black painted metal with dirt and dust on it; side rails, kickups, rear crossmember, control arms..

Having been around wrecked Corvettes most of my formative years, i know what to look for in a body and frame. if this car didn't have a perfect frame and 99% original, unhit body, i wouldn't try to buy it. Even at my offer price.

Doug

Last edited by AZDoug; 01-10-2011 at 01:36 AM.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:46 AM
briz
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey guy in my country, Italy, that car it would be in sale in 17-18k euros,not dollars...( 20-22$)believe me.
I envy u...
I paid 20k€ for my vette conv 68 in Italy.and a lot of things were to repair...ignition key, seats, 2-3 gauges,radio,tyres,not very good paint and something else...my engine is 327, TH400 matching numbers, no rust and 6-7 years ago, in England, the car had a medium restored, but it was a good price, because when i'll finish to replace all the things broken or damaged, the price probably grow up.( i wish 25-27k €)
in our country, a chrome bumpers vette, conv, in very good conditions,probably cost 35-37k€....
in America, all the cars parts have a reasonable costs, also for shipping and duty, but not for the Europe and in particular for My ****ing Italy....( i mean for the duty)..
by the way....
very nice vette....
briz
Old 01-10-2011, 05:23 AM
pwsusi
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I know you back east people find it hard to believe, but have you ever seen a 40 year old frame with not even rust colored spots on it? Not flakes, not surface rust, not even rust colored fuzz, not painted over rust pits, just original dull black painted metal with dirt and dust on it; side rails, kickups, rear crossmember, control arms..
Yes...being from the north east it is hard to believe, until i got my '71 which spent most of its life in AZ and had a clean frame like you describe. There are a lot of cars up here that are a mess.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:55 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Mashman
...Despite what others have said, this car doesn't appear to be very bad shape at all...

...He is asking a bit less than 18K...
Too high. $18K can buy you more car.

Old 01-10-2011, 01:13 PM
joewill
Safety Car

Received 263 Likes on 210 Posts

18K will buy you a really nice NOM 72 coupe that needs nothing. go out and buy the best car you can afford and be on the road tomorrow vs. being stuck in the garage being nickel and dimed to death.

sure no rust is rare, but cars that need work are cars that are neglected, who knows what else is wrong with that car that you can't find in a cursory inspection?
Old 01-10-2011, 01:25 PM
Derrick Reynolds
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15, '17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Originally Posted by Linas
If you are aware of any such "projects" actually for sale for 5000$, let me know. I would take three, at least...
Do your own homework. And better yet, read people's posts before mocking them. Notice I said "This is what I would call a project car...." If you don't consider it a project, fine with me. Also notice I said "I doubt I would pay more than $5K for it." The OP asked for an opinion, and I gave him mine. My post says nothing about you, or what you should, would or could do. If the OP has an issue with what I said about the car, let him post it.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:15 PM
Mashman
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I offered something over 10K, and less than 13K. The motor is what concerns me also, as wiped cams lobes can often generate larger repair bills than just replacing the cam and lifters.

I see $3600 in parts alone to get this to what I would consider drivable without having to wear a bag over my head, and that doesn't include unknowns like the radiator and rear control arm assemblies and related components.

Then you start refinishing the gauge cluster,and replacing door sill plates, and lock *****, etc, etc, to start looking really nice, and money piles on even more.

Doug
You offered a IMO a very fair, and competitive price. The car is not worth anywhere near 18k. $18k is what the car would be worth after it has been restored.

Either the owner either 1)will not recognize that the value has taken a hit in the last few years, or 2) doesn't see any of the problems the car has, and will not deduct them from the price, or 3) Is using the NASDA guides to come up with his price and thinks he's selling it for a steal. My money is on #3.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:58 AM
PhilaScott
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts

$9500 to $11500 would be ideal.... but not north of $13k max

Doug
Old 01-13-2011, 07:42 PM
PUNISHER VETTE
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by PKguitar
Do your own homework. And better yet, read people's posts before mocking them. Notice I said "This is what I would call a project car...." If you don't consider it a project, fine with me. Also notice I said "I doubt I would pay more than $5K for it." The OP asked for an opinion, and I gave him mine. My post says nothing about you, or what you should, would or could do. If the OP has an issue with what I said about the car, let him post it.
I'll give the guy a bajillion dollars for the car tonight!

Quick Reply: What is this '72 worth?