Sponsored by:

Help with a purchase question

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 12:41 PM
BBCorv70
Melting Slicks

Received 108 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by TuckerO
I will not pay 50k for a 40k car. I don't think many on here would just because they love the car.

Can't argue with that, I agree 100%. Know the market value of the vehicle you're looking to buy, common sense.

When I refer to the love of the vehicle I'm not referring to the purchase price. If you're buying for investment value, you're going to have to keep a close eye on how much over the purchase price you have invested. You'll also be restricted with what you can do with the vehicle which will not erode value. Probably best to leave it parked in the garage, drive on rare occasions. If this is what the buyer wants that's their choice. I DO keep an eye on what I think the value of my car may be and make decisions on what I'll spend on it based on how far beyond current value I'd be willing to go. The value may increase over time to reach what I have invested or it may not. I own the car for my personal enjoyment, not to impress a future buyer or make a fortune on it.
Old 02-14-2011, 12:52 PM
joewill
Safety Car

Received 263 Likes on 210 Posts

there are bad buyers and bad sellers.. I would honestly like to disclose everything I know when selling a car, but there will always be some difference in what you tell the buyer and what he thinks you said. Buyers will ask questions that a seller cannot reasonably guarantee. As a seller, I would certainly ask many questions to the buyer as to his requirements and intentions, all in the attempt to weed out the tire kickers. I would also cover it all with a sales contract that releases me from any and all liability.

the OP did the right thing in going to see the car to confirm it meets requirements.
Keep looking, and realize you learned alot for the next car you look at.

Classic cars are an asset, maybe not an appreciating asset, and hopefully not a depreciating asset ( by paying too much ) . but classic cars at least usually hold their value so one can sell it later and hopefully at worst break even vs. todays new cars that depreciate 1000$ per month.

A new corvette , or a boat, or a RV.. see what these hobbies cost per month in your total cost and the classic corvette comes out way ahead, merely because a classic corvette does hold value. not to offend any corvette owners, but i think it is wrong not to take this into consideration.
Old 02-14-2011, 04:08 PM
Faster Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by BBCorv70
Forgive me for saying this but this sounds a bit like some tired NOM bashing?
I wasn't bashing NOM cars, just directly answering the OP's question at the beginning of the thread...which he already knew the answer to...that a CE block is not the original motor.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:58 PM
TuckerO
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by joewill

Classic cars are an asset, maybe not an appreciating asset, and hopefully not a depreciating asset ( by paying too much ) . but classic cars at least usually hold their value so one can sell it later and hopefully at worst break even vs. todays new cars that depreciate 1000$ per month.

A new corvette , or a boat, or a RV.. see what these hobbies cost per month in your total cost and the classic corvette comes out way ahead, merely because a classic corvette does hold value. not to offend any corvette owners, but i think it is wrong not to take this into consideration.
You are right about the cost of owning new cars etc. I just figured what it cost me in the last 47 months to own a new viper and a new Z06 both modded & are now sold. It figures out to about 1900.00 a month or 89k not counting insurance & taxes. That is why I am looking for an older toy that I like. I have no regrets as I made the decision & paid for it. I could buy a old vette & throw it away in three years & be money ahead. No offense to those who choose to buy new as I was one. I was thinking about a new ZR1 but I got over it. You have to pay to play. Anyone know where I can buy a nice 69 vert.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:16 PM
BBCorv70
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by joewill

I see a new Corvette and a classic Corvette as being two different worlds. The new Corvette I firmly believe will be much more reliable, more than likely faster, better mileage, and more comfortable. They're new technology. You can take a new Corvette on a long trip at any time. Being a newer car, not a classic, they're going to depreciate as most other cars do. Nothing new there.

Classic Corvettes, which I am an owner of one, are more antiques now unless we're talking about a restomod, insert a modern drive train. I wouldn't take a classic Corvette for an extended trip, not on a moments notice anyway. They may retain value but are not daily drivers, referring to the chrome bumper years and earlier. Much depends on what you want to do with the car, what is it's intended use?
Old 02-15-2011, 10:56 AM
BBCorv70
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Faster Rat
I wasn't bashing NOM cars, just directly answering the OP's question at the beginning of the thread...which he already knew the answer to...that a CE block is not the original motor.
Hi Faster,

Yes you did answer the question of originality in the later part or your statement. The first remark was the one I was referring to...

"If you have concerns about the car's value as compared to similar cars with original motors, the person you try to sell the car to, whenever that day comes, will likely have the same concerns. "

To me it reads as "if the car does not have the original engine you'll have trouble selling it". True if the owner buys a NOM, pays for a NOM, then tries to sell it to a collector. Not going to happen. I respectfully suggest the statement which I've heard before sounds pretty much like a marketting scare tactic to motivate people to pay more for originals by suggesting if they were to buy a NOM they'll never sell it. I assert there is most definitely a market for NOMs and Restomods. I had a 67 with a NOM years ago and had no trouble what so ever selling it. I'd expect a tough time selling an original for top dollar as well given the level of suspicion out there regarding what it real and what has been faked. For that kind of money I'd agree, better be careful.

I don't begrudge sellers of originals the premium price they ask for since a true original is rather rare. I also believe there's room for NOMs and Restomods in this hobby. I personally appreciate a NOM done to appear correct per NCRS standards. To me it's a repair, no less legitimate than an original though less rare, many were blown up in the day.

I too would like to see the market recover for ALL Corvettes. We're all in the same boat.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:33 PM
Faster Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by BBCorv70
To me it reads as "if the car does not have the original engine you'll have trouble selling it".
You evidently have a personal bias and like to read something into what somebody else has said. The OP expressed a concern over buying a particular car touted as having a CE block and questioned whether it was the same as buying a car without the original engine. I have no idea whether or not the seller was trying to get more money for the car because it has a CE block, but that was the impression I got from the original post. The OP's reluctance to PAY MORE for it was well-founded. I merely confirmed his apprehension and stated that a future buyer will more than likely have the same apprehension...to NOT PAY MORE for the CE block above any other replacement block.

The OP did question the value of an original engine. I really have no idea what that number might be and would not even try to guess. Maybe nothing at all, maybe quite a bit. Depends on the condition of the engine, the type and quality of any/all rebuilds, the rest of the car, who knows? Certainly not me. I like all vettes, even those without their original motors. Only wish I had more money to spend on them. Most of us on this forum are just trying to make smart choices when it comes to how we spend our money. Peace, brother.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:00 PM
BBCorv70
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Faster Rat
You evidently have a personal bias and like to read something into what somebody else has said.
Hey Faster,

No, I don't think it's a personal bias or reading things in which aren't there. I've seen the phrase I mentioned appear many times from different sources. My impression has been it meant the seller will have a tough time selling without the original engine.

Seems this wasn't what you meant.

My bad, I stand corrected.

Last edited by BBCorv70; 02-15-2011 at 10:35 PM.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:57 AM
rugerm44
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 71 I own has the original engine tranny,rear end.nice that it dose but it wasn't high on the list.It has one of the nicest frames and bird cage of all the 8 cars I had looked at.It didn't have air on it.so I put a vintageair kit on it.I don't care if it hurt the value of it or not.trust me there's always someone out there that feels the same way when it comes time to sell it.every car I looked at that had air had too much rust for way too much money.it is what it is.sorry about the punctuation.new phone.

Quick Reply: Help with a purchase question