Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Barn/Garage Find photos of 69 I just bought

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 05:00 AM
jimo
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great find, well done i wish you could find these type of barn finds in Australia!!!!
Old 02-09-2011, 07:37 AM
corvetteload
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

What I'm trying to say, and I'm not accusing "you" of this, but if you restore back to a "big block" car and start telling everyone that it was a true tripower and you really have no evidence of this (anyone can buy a tripower air cleaner lid used) YOU might get the reputation among your peers of being a Bullsh#t artist. One might even go so far to say that financial gain could be gotten in a sale of the car due to faked items................Not pointing fingers, but JUST SAYING!!!!!
You will have nothing more than a 69 Corvette, not an original, nor matching, nothing...just a 69 Vette and all the problems it will present to you................
Old 02-09-2011, 08:15 PM
seacliffe301
Pro

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by longbros
The original engine was not replaced with anything. Once the previous owners life began to spiral down and the original engine was lost, the car then sat untouched for roughly 30 years.
What was the story with the original engine? Was it pulled for repairs? Nice color. Is that the original Marlboro Maroon?
Old 02-10-2011, 06:29 AM
corvetteload
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jeffp1167
It is a rare car ... I have never seen the logic behind numbers matching, as long as it is a engine and trans of the same vintage and built to what it originally would have been thats all that counts .... the only matching numbers I ever worry about is that the VIN matches the title.
What's rare about it?!?!?!?! You are throwing that term around pretty loosely, hardly a rare car, just an original 427 tripower with A/C, which is now just a rusty money pit rolling chassis with no engine or trans, "rare" isn't the first term I would come up with to describe it.................Gee, wonder what the all matching 69 427 I have with 72K miles on it would be termed?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
Old 02-10-2011, 06:57 AM
GREGG-73
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Reply

[QUOTE=Gee, wonder what the all matching 69 427 I have with 72K miles on it would be termed?!?!?!?!?!?!?![/QUOTE]

"Nice" !!!!!!!!

Stay in tune....
Old 02-10-2011, 09:35 AM
longbros
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by seacliffe301
What was the story with the original engine? Was it pulled for repairs? Nice color. Is that the original Marlboro Maroon?
The original engine was pulled for repairs. Soon afterwards, the owner of the car lost his son, then his wife divorced him, and his life continued to spiral down. It is not clear, but I assume he never paid the machine shop for the work, and they kept the engine, that was 30 years ago. The original exterior color is 988 Burgandy, with 421 Saddle leather interior.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:00 AM
longbros
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by corvetteload
What's rare about it?!?!?!?! You are throwing that term around pretty loosely, hardly a rare car, just an original 427 tripower with A/C, which is now just a rusty money pit rolling chassis with no engine or trans, "rare" isn't the first term I would come up with to describe it.................Gee, wonder what the all matching 69 427 I have with 72K miles on it would be termed?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
Since I have never used the word "rare" in this thread, I assume you are not directing your comments toward me. However, since I started this thread, I will take a shot at answering.

My dictionary at hand defiines "rare" as 1: not frequently found; scarce; uncommon. I am sure you would agree that in this day of age, a barn find or garage find such as this is rare as definded above.

Now, I know very little about the 69 Corvette, I have more knowledge of other years. However, my experience and the experience of others tells me this car was a big block car from the factory, no question. Additionally, the car has a single fuel line. I also have parts and pieces pertaining to the tri-power set up. Additionally, I have the verification of the previous owner of 40 years, that the car was a 427/400 tri-power car.

Now, can we be 100% certain it was a 427/400 tri-power car, no. However, given what we know about the car, and given the way it was found, and the history and documentation included, and given the condition, I think you would agree that this car is a car that is "not frequently found, scarce, and uncommon". Hence, the word "rare" comes to mind for many people.

I appreciate your position and comments. Hey, somebody has to play the devil's advocate here! Even though I agree with the term "rare", perhaps interesting or even exciting would be a better choice of words to describe this unusual find.

Last edited by longbros; 02-10-2011 at 02:08 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-10-2011, 10:46 AM
highschool67
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I find comments like this to be almost laughable in our hobby today.

In this day and age when you can get fake docs, have a number restamped on your replacement engine and buy all the correct replacement parts, a buyer has to do a lot of research to verify a correct car, as they should when spending the kind of money for a numbers correct car. Who is to say this is not the car he represents? I think you are jumping very quickly to conclusion.

With all due respect, with anonymous members like yourself, with no info in their profile on this forum, your comments and a buck fifty will buy a cup a joe.

With no info in your profile....
Who is really the one doing the misrepresenting?
A guy with a 69 BB with 72k on the clock might post a pic of it in his forum garage instead of a chevelle (nice as it may be)?

BTW Great find longbros! Pretty car, well optioned.
Old 02-10-2011, 02:12 PM
DIP51
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Winner

Gee, wonder what the all matching 69 427 I have with 72K miles on it would be termed?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
Ahhh...A WET DREAM!!!!!

jk
Old 02-10-2011, 03:41 PM
corvetteload
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by highschool67

With no info in your profile....
Who is really the one doing the misrepresenting?
A guy with a 69 BB with 72k on the clock might post a pic of it in his forum garage instead of a chevelle (nice as it may be)?
Here are pics, didn't have them at work to put in profile (name of your car!?!?!?!?) As for "rare", has the gunmetal interior and rear window defroster, maybe more rarer than a tripower with A/C.

Old 02-11-2011, 12:29 PM
mlcounts
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default great find!

these kind of post are why i like hanging out in here. love to see how people find cars and what they do to them. to me it's about having fun with what you have.

great find lb and would love to see your project in motion.

Quick Reply: Barn/Garage Find photos of 69 I just bought