Sponsored by:

Just Put Rubber/Vinyl Tiles on Garage Floor

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 07:17 PM
John 65
Le Mans Master

Received 403 Likes on 326 Posts

Floor looks really great. Nice job.

Hey how do you like those tires. I am going to get a set after my car gets painted. I like the narrow stripe white wall on them. They are more reasonable than the repro tires and the thin stripe looks close enough for me.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:33 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 234 Likes on 143 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by 929nitro
Can you work on it? Move around an engine hoist or floor jack? Looks good.
Originally Posted by Gordonm
Educate me on this. This is purely cosmetic or does it provide some benefit for the car or owner. It looks like you cant put a jack stand or roll anything across it. Just looks like spongy stuff for the car to sit on. It does look good but it would last about 5 minutes in my garage. I spill, weld, grind and roll stuff around under mine. I would love to epoxy coat mine but right now just have old paint on it. Spills clean up ok this way.
It is made of a hard but flexible vinyl, it is not spongy. After 2 years of use in my garage - I actually work on my cars in my garage - it had not been damaged by ANY automotive liquid spill, including laquer thinner. It has not been damaged by my 3 ton floor jack rolling around on it. Or my engine hoist. When I put a car up on stands, I use plywood squares under the stands, but I did that on the bare concrete as well.

It is a floating floor, if you do damage a section, you can just replace the damaged tiles very easily.

It acts as a vapor barrier and insulator over the cold damp concrete floor. If you have spent any time under a car directly on the bare concrete, then you know what I mean.

It acts as an anti-fatigue mat. It doesn't hurt to lay on it for extended periods of time.

It can be cut to size and easily installs with little to no prep work.

It withstands heavy load conditions.

It cleans up easily, and always lokos great.

I can't believe I lived with the bare concrete for so long, I could never go back! Here in Canada, it is marketed under a different brand name - Multy - and I bought mine at Home Depot. For any Canadians reading this, Home Depot no longer carries it, but Canadian Tire does:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en

Old 03-01-2011, 07:37 PM
BobbyC3
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by PhilaScott
Been wanting to get this done. Started on one side for now. Looks great. Got the squares at Lowes - ($50.00 for box of 8); Edging is like $10 for 4 pieces. Not inexpensive -- but not expensive. Tiles are 20.5 x 20.5 (comes out to $6.00 per tile);

For now, it's under the Vette. May do the other side and connect it. We'll see. Still need to put a few more edge pieces on. Definitely looks better than plain concrete. Just snaps together. Simple.

As far as what tools are needed you might need to use a rubber mallet
Looks great, love to have a whole garage floor covered in those.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:41 PM
PhilaScott
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by John 65
Floor looks really great. Nice job.

Hey how do you like those tires. I am going to get a set after my car gets painted. I like the narrow stripe white wall on them. They are more reasonable than the repro tires and the thin stripe looks close enough for me.
They are Michelins. They ride nice and look great. I wouldn't recommend pushing the pedal down on a corner unless you want to do a power slide out though... The previous owner had the fiberglass suspension installed in the rear. Car rides very nicely. Happiest when it's going 60 to 70 in a straight line.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:16 PM
daanbc
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

(It acts as a vapor barrier and insulator over the cold damp concrete floor. If you have spent any time under a car directly on the bare concrete, then you know what I mean.)

(It acts as an anti-fatigue mat. It doesn't hurt to lay on it for extended periods of time.)

Good points, My floor is hard to lay on after awhile. I just like the fact that its always clean.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:36 AM
jr9170
Race Director

Received 1,069 Likes on 755 Posts

Old 03-02-2011, 03:07 PM
builder
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I used a bridge sealer on my new concrete (clear) with some grit thrown on top. Then I got a 10'x25' roll of grooved vinyl floor for under the car at Menards. The grooves go towards the garage door.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:41 PM
Archgator
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by daanbc
The orange wall. LOL. I always wanted to redo my garage. I wanted a color that would be bright. So I went with The blue back wall, and orange on the sides. My wife does not like the color, so I figured she'd stay out more. LOL. I was looking for a blue vette, but could not find a clean one. Then I came accross my orange one. It was so clean and the condition was great for a great price. I couldn't pass it up. Now my wife likes the color. Can't win.....
GO GATORS!! Sorry, couldn't pass it up!!
Old 03-03-2011, 09:36 PM
GPGG70
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by daanbc
(It acts as a vapor barrier and insulator over the cold damp concrete floor. If you have spent any time under a car directly on the bare concrete, then you know what I mean.)

(It acts as an anti-fatigue mat. It doesn't hurt to lay on it for extended periods of time.)

Good points, My floor is hard to lay on after awhile. I just like the fact that its always clean.

daanbc,
Did you have your epoxy floor laid by a company or did you do it your self. Looking to do a section of my floor myself and wanted to get more information. Thanks
Old 03-04-2011, 12:33 AM
daanbc
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by GPGG70
daanbc,
Did you have your epoxy floor laid by a company or did you do it your self. Looking to do a section of my floor myself and wanted to get more information. Thanks
Did it myself.
Old 03-05-2011, 05:30 PM
PhilaScott
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts

NOTE: Found out that you need to be careful to not spin the wheel backing in or this floor mat will move. Let's just say it's all fixed now.. not doing THAT again.

Quick Reply: Just Put Rubber/Vinyl Tiles on Garage Floor