Denpo
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Default Preparing next big jump: body assembly

Right now I'm removing the firewall from my new front clip

On my way to put it back to my new body

I started to list all the sub task, and if you don't mind I'd like to share my plan with you... Ok that's just a long list of question...

here we go:

-Pull up the body one last time

-Level the frame at the body mounts, which one, #2 and #3? I'm thinking about a water level system, with transparent flexible tubes connected to a tank. What do you think?

-Redrop the body and find out the shimming, I heard about the play-doo technique to determine shims size, is that the right way?

-Fix the body once for good.

-Reinstall the doors to make good 1/8" rear gap. I haven't restored them yet planned to do so later. was wondering if doing it after could screw the initial measurements.

-Then put the front clip. I guess having a nice 1/8" front door gap is not the only goal to achieve, you also need to align it in a way or an other to the body, right? How?

-Ken for ken's corvette part advised me to put the front clip back in one piece, with still the bumper assembly and the cover attached. Said it would help for alignment. I guess it makes sense, but significant extra weight will make things harder (maybe using a engine hoist....), what's your take?

Dunno if packing all the question together is the best thing to do... but I did it that way.
Old 03-02-2011, 03:41 PM
RobRace10
Melting Slicks

Received 68 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Denpo
Right now I'm removing the firewall from my new front clip

On my way to put it back to my new body

I started to list all the sub task, and if you don't mind I'd like to share my plan with you... Ok that's just a long list of question...

here we go:

-Pull up the body one last time

-Level the frame at the body mounts, which one, #2 and #3? I'm thinking about a water level system, with transparent flexible tubes connected to a tank. What do you think?

-Redrop the body and find out the shimming, I heard about the play-doo technique to determine shims size, is that the right way?

-Fix the body once for good.

-Reinstall the doors to make good 1/8" rear gap. I haven't restored them yet planned to do so later. was wondering if doing it after could screw the initial measurements.

-Then put the front clip. I guess having a nice 1/8" front door gap is not the only goal to achieve, you also need to align it in a way or an other to the body, right? How?

-Ken for ken's corvette part advised me to put the front clip back in one piece, with still the bumper assembly and the cover attached. Said it would help for alignment. I guess it makes sense, but significant extra weight will make things harder (maybe using a engine hoist....), what's your take?

Dunno if packing all the question together is the best thing to do... but I did it that way.

I would make sure the hinges are either good or rebuilt before you go fitting the body. You will need the doors on to fit the front clip. I would leave the radiator shroud in, but as far as bumper, I would not want to deal with the extra weight either, but Ken's Corvette has probably done a lot of these.

There is a critical measurement from the drip rail to the hood hinge bolts. The old Ecklers fiberglass book may help you as they have a section on installing a front clip. I do have some PDF files of it if you can't find a copy.
Old 03-02-2011, 04:25 PM
Denpo
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by RobRace10
... I do have some PDF files of it if you can't find a copy....
I'd love to get those, PMed you
Old 03-02-2011, 07:20 PM
Denpo
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

PDF received, great piece of information, thanks ALOT !!!

Get notified of new replies

To Preparing next big jump: body assembly

Quick Reply: Preparing next big jump: body assembly