Old 03-09-2011, 09:37 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by ElCid79
Man, I want those in my 79..
It's the wood insert on the door panel which came with the deluxe interiors. Yours are black on a 77.

If you want the wood, order the 70-76 trim panels.

Old 03-09-2011, 09:40 AM
LancePearson
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I paid $10,000 for a cosmetically good 76 Vette five months ago and knew it needed some things...50 items later and $7500 added dollars later it is in apparently perfect shape with re designed true dual exhausts, an engine that is smooth, mufflers that rumble delightfully, etc. And...it goes to a road track for a 100 minutes of Touring Lights April 13. Once in a lifetime.

Yesterday, at the top of the bottom two gears the front of the engine developed a small squeal that wasn't there before. I do have new belts for it as spares and it could be that though belt dressing didn't change it. It could be a pulley, it could be belts, it could be a water pump or other. Right now I'm just letting it sit in the garage and a week from today it will go into the garage for its required mechanics track tech inspection and I'll let them dig into it. Right now I just don't want to do any more wrench work on the small stuff and since they'll have it I'll let them diagnose and fix and put my new belts on anyway. It seems that these old cars when they get used, things that were relatively weak but hidden take the opportunity to need repair. Get used to it is the message to me. Wonder what 100 minutes over four 25 minute sessions on a 3.27 mile, 17 turn track will do for it? Something, I bet!
Old 03-09-2011, 11:44 AM
ElCid79
Drifting

Received 190 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark G
How's your dash and seat covers? You can save $$ if you order a whole interior kit.

Also, check your car's front/tail piece retainers. If they are mostly rust-free, you can re-use and not buy the stainless retainers. Mine were fine and personally the aftermarket retainers are not nearly as good of a system as the original brackets. If you have access to a plasma cutter you can make new tail retainers. The nice thing about the stock brackets is they give the top deck of your car some rigidity, where if someone leans or presses hard on the rear deck by the back bumper and you have the aftermarket retainers in, you could get cracked fiberglass.

Last bit of advice is order as much as you can per order. The shipping and HANDLING on smaller onsie-twosie items will astonish you! Most places have a club that you pay $25 and then you always save a certain percentage.

It's not the money, it's the journey!

Mark G
Where can you get the complete kits? If you see the inside of my car, it needs a bit of TLC...
Old 03-09-2011, 01:01 PM
GD70
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree regarding reconditioning as many original parts as possible. One, you know they fit properly. There's been tons of threads about the frustrations of after market interior parts not fitting. Very easy to re-die. I used a fabric & vinyl paint to redo my black sun-faded carpets. They look new and it cost 8 bucks for the spray can. Unless a part is physically damaged, try to reuse the originals.
Just my 2c.
Good luck which ever route you take, and have fun.
Glenn
Old 03-09-2011, 01:10 PM
damoroso
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd figure on adding another 15% or so for miscellaneous items/cost and be careful of "whileimatititis"....that can cost well over 100% of your initial estimate....
Old 03-09-2011, 01:27 PM
LancePearson
Drifting

good advice on reusing and on shipping and on doubling your estimate and you'll be closer. They ain't cheap especially if you can't do the heavy work which I'm not willing to do anymore. I bought my car Oct 4, 2010 and by Christmas I got 'valued" customer Christmas cards from Zip Corvette and Mid America Motorworks!
Old 03-09-2011, 01:53 PM
markids77
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Corvette America sells "not quite perfect" items on eBay all the time... these might be blemished, or otherwise cosmetically a bit off... but at about half price they are a screaming deal. Search "NQP" in Motors and Happy Saving!
Old 03-09-2011, 02:48 PM
24695bob
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wait and order the stuff at Carlisle or another major eent...no sales tax as most vendors now only take orders there plus all of them seem to give you a discount...To be honestt If I had to odered $3000 in parts I would ask for an additional 10 percent discount on top of the show discount...

Bottom line is ya gotta do what ya gotta do..BUT I do agree 100 percent that if you replace one thing "something" else that looked ok" will suddenly look bad enough to be replaced also... never ends

Bob G
Old 03-09-2011, 04:20 PM
loflite
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 28 Posts

I am just finishing my '76 right now. I started my project because I needed a new clutch at 107k miles on the original. Then it progressed to a Kiesler 5speed as long as the tranny was out. Then we might as well rebuild the original L82. Well might as well do the steeroids and c4 front suspension rebuild right of way. Then when the underside looked so nice, we better paint the car otherwise it looks kinda shabby. Finally, the interior now looks horrible against the rest of the car so here goes! This all started with a clutch replacement. Added all together I have north of $20k stuck into this car above the original purchase price. Obviously I intend to keep the car as I will never get the money out of it. BTW, bought the interior from Willcox Corvettes. Outstanding service. Most of their stuff comes from Corvette America.
Old 03-09-2011, 04:37 PM
BTGRN75
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by kdf1986
It does get expensive and quick when you start to add things up.

I think your just scratching the surface with that list.

I made the same list when I bought my 73. Now I wish I would have bought the great looking $20k car that needed nothing. It could have been cheaper.

kdf

I'm trying not to think that but it's creeping in more- day by day
Old 03-09-2011, 05:37 PM
LancePearson
Drifting

Default C3's and Women

Originally Posted by loflite
I am just finishing my '76 right now. I started my project because I needed a new clutch at 107k miles on the original. Then it progressed to a Kiesler 5speed as long as the tranny was out. Then we might as well rebuild the original L82. Well might as well do the steeroids and c4 front suspension rebuild right of way. Then when the underside looked so nice, we better paint the car otherwise it looks kinda shabby. Finally, the interior now looks horrible against the rest of the car so here goes! This all started with a clutch replacement. Added all together I have north of $20k stuck into this car above the original purchase price. Obviously I intend to keep the car as I will never get the money out of it. BTW, bought the interior from Willcox Corvettes. Outstanding service. Most of their stuff comes from Corvette America.
C3 Corvettes and Wives/Significant Others...both are relatively cheap to obtain, have waist lines, seductive curves and can easily turn your head or worst.........but the maintenance costs can only be justified by something other than economics I think!

Lance
Old 03-09-2011, 05:53 PM
beige79
Instructor

Awfully difficult to stick to a budget that you set up in the beginning of fixing up a C3. Once you start digging, you can pretty much count on finding a whole lot more that either needs to be done or that you will want to do "while you are at it." It is a 35 year old car.

If you are going to make a spreadsheet on what everything will cost to fix, the best time to do that is before you buy the car.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:10 PM
1969RAY
Burning Brakes

Received 252 Likes on 112 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Owning and repairing an old vette is like getting into a relationship with a beautiful woman.
You never know exactly how much it will cost or if it'll be worth it in the end, that never stops us.
Most of the money that I've made I spent on fast cars and pretty women-the rest I just wasted. . .
Old 03-09-2011, 06:14 PM
springer89
Advanced

keep an eye out for an eckler's 20 % off sale. i save a lot of $
Old 03-09-2011, 07:31 PM
flyfisher38
Instructor

Originally Posted by chstitans42

Yeah you might want to look into that. I mean more than $800 for door panels?? I bought a NEW pair that I dyed for about $250 shipped off of ebay...
Mine are torn up and missing foam
Old 03-09-2011, 09:00 PM
chstitans42
TheCorvetteBen
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 136 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Hick727
Mine are torn up and missing foam
Im just saying, if you spend $800 on a pair of door panels, you didnt do your shopping. Whoever you paid that much for is sitting back counting all 8 of the 100 dollar bills you gave them and chuckling
Old 03-09-2011, 11:35 PM
Mark G
Melting Slicks

Received 457 Likes on 339 Posts

Corvette America has interior packages they discount for the package. I agree about buying at a major vette show (if you can). I swung a great deal on a complete interior package from Corvette America. I worked with one of the managers for an end-of-show deal. You might try to call a manager at C/A or Wilcox and see what sort of additional discounts they can do you for on a large order. Keep in mind that it's a tight economey and it's a crowded vendor field out there. OTOH, guys like Wilcox and others can't give their parts away or they won't be around very long. It's only a phone call...

Mark G

Get notified of new replies

To Damn this is going to cost alot.....

Old 03-10-2011, 07:59 AM
shotgunvet
Instructor

Default recreational dollar

You also have to look at a lot of this as recreational dollars. Golf, Sporting clays, going to NASCAR races, going to Vegas, and old cars are all recreational dollars....all well spent I guess.

At least with the old cars you can recoupe some or all of your money, get to enjoy the ride, and have something other than a hangover after your done.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:44 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
It's the wood insert on the door panel which came with the deluxe interiors. Yours are black on a 77.

If you want the wood, order the 70-76 trim panels.

I have a complete set of door trim panels from my '72, nice clean....

lemme know, PM/email.....

Old 03-10-2011, 11:16 AM
BrianP
Advanced

I have more invested in my '81 than it would sell for, but sometimes that just comes with the territory if one wants a reliable vehicle that looks good.

I quit looking at receipts a long time ago. It means more to me to be able to jump in the car at any moment, have it fire right up, and take off without worry.

There will be age-related things happen and a restoration is truly never complete. Go about it at whatever pace (financial and time wise) that makes best sense for you.

Bottom line, enjoy the journey!

-Brian

Quick Reply: Damn this is going to cost alot.....