Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1980 L-48. Need to change starter...

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 08:40 PM
Mikey1968
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1980 L-48. Need to change starter...

Well, first fuel fouled my plugs, then killed my battery tryign to get her fired up again. Recharged battery, then fried my starter. Love this old car ownership! Hahaha (at least I have a new hobby).

Any suggestions on the best way to replace the starter, before I tackle it tomorrow. I am a bit of a rookie....
Old 03-25-2011, 09:21 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Really a pretty simple and straightforward job. Pay attention to the wires as you remove them from the solenoid. Use some masking tape and mark them if need be to get them back on correctly. Also if the front brace/bracket is still attached between the starter and block be sure to reinstall it. Some rebuilt starters are missing the correct (through) bolt that needs to be on the starter to attach this bracket, so if you do turn in your old starter, be prepared to switch the bolts before you let go of the old starter.

My personal preference regarding rebuilt starters is to rebuild the original one if at all possible. Most communities has at least one old automotive electronics shop that does this and many have been doing it for generations. At least you will know whose hands did the job and you will get your original starter back.

Good luck... GUSTO
Old 03-26-2011, 01:56 AM
TexasMadMan
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just in case no one told you, disconnect the battery before removing any starter wires.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:16 AM
79L48
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

May I ask what exactly happened that you believe your starter "went"?
I referenced that you were being hard on your starter by reefing on it so hard, but I am curious as to what happened for you to think it failed.
Also, buy a new battery and clean off all your contacts and grounds. Keep the charger on the battery. Only crank for 15-20 secs max at a time.
Did you replace your plugs yet? I know you replaced your ignition module, but did you replace your coil, too? I know you said you had spark, but maybe it's weak. (not likely as they typically fail all the way)
Also, since you know your wires are on right, you may have a timing issue which means all the cranking in the world ain't gonna get it.
Might be time to find a good mechanic, or a good forum member to help in the flesh.
Good luck!
Old 03-26-2011, 01:22 PM
Mikey1968
Advanced

Originally Posted by 79L48
May I ask what exactly happened that you believe your starter "went"?
I referenced that you were being hard on your starter by reefing on it so hard, but I am curious as to what happened for you to think it failed.
Also, buy a new battery and clean off all your contacts and grounds. Keep the charger on the battery. Only crank for 15-20 secs max at a time.
Did you replace your plugs yet? I know you replaced your ignition module, but did you replace your coil, too? I know you said you had spark, but maybe it's weak. (not likely as they typically fail all the way)
Also, since you know your wires are on right, you may have a timing issue which means all the cranking in the world ain't gonna get it.
Might be time to find a good mechanic, or a good forum member to help in the flesh.
Good luck!
Good point. I am assuming it 'went' as i fully recharged the battery, and then went to try and start. First, it just kept clicking, then nothing at all. Just dead.
I will get a new coil as well, as they are cheap and easy to change. Any tips on removing the starter? Looks like a simple swap and bolt on? Correct?
again, I am not a mechanic, so any instuction would be great. (while I am at it, I may change valve cover gaskets, as they are leaking-This $H1t adds up quick!)
Old 03-26-2011, 01:29 PM
24695bob
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with 79L48....

Starters DO fail...been there done that with all my cars BUT I have my serious doubts that your started failed because you plugs were fouled and you cranked the car so much your battery died,,,

Replacing the starter is a piece of cake ...got to be one of the few repairs that you can accomplish in 30 minutes without first dissembling the entire car... BUT do unhook your battery and put a jack stand under the passengers side of the front of the car...

Another plus is that rebuilt starters are dirt cheap BUT some require a ship which usually comes with it anyway...

Bob G.
Old 03-26-2011, 01:41 PM
Mikey1968
Advanced

Well now you all have me wondering. Maybe it is the battery. I havea trickle charger, and it says 'charged' with the green light lit. Maybe that is misleading as I have drained it and charged it a few times trying to get her running.
Before I start pulling starters and/or batteries, anything I can do first to pinpoint the problem.
Also, the main issue is it running rough and stalling when I crank it with the pedal on the flooor. I labeled the wires, but maybe I didnt do something right. Does anyone have a wire labeling diagram for a 2980 L-48, so I can confirm? I also will try buying a new coil.
Just want to make sure I am diagnosing everything properly before I waste valuable time and money!
Old 03-26-2011, 03:16 PM
Mikey1968
Advanced

So I got under the car and tapped on the starter a bit, and now it is clicking again when I turn the key, but still not firing. Do you think it is the battery or starter? Im sooo confused!
Old 03-26-2011, 04:22 PM
BARRY L-48
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can remove the starter and take it to Autozone,Pep Boys to have it checked for free,then purchase a new starter or solenoid,whatever you may need.
Old 03-26-2011, 04:30 PM
killain
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 512 Likes on 312 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
Oldtimer

Default Starter blues ?

Originally Posted by Mikey1968
Good point. I am assuming it 'went' as i fully recharged the battery, and then went to try and start. First, it just kept clicking, then nothing at all. Just dead.
I will get a new coil as well, as they are cheap and easy to change. Any tips on removing the starter? Looks like a simple swap and bolt on? Correct?
again, I am not a mechanic, so any instuction would be great. (while I am at it, I may change valve cover gaskets, as they are leaking-This $H1t adds up quick!)
Here's a simple test. 1. Turn on the headlights, when you turn the key and the lights dim, you have a bad battery, or a bad cell. Or 2. if you turn the key and the lights stay the same, you've got a short somewhere in the wiring or inside the starter itself.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:29 PM
Carlos840
Racer

I had both issues with mine, both times same symptoms as yours!

First time it was actually my alternator that died, the battery reached a point where it was charged enough to show good on a tester, would still power the windows, radio and lights but was to weak to power the starter! Car would start with cables though!

Second time, a few months after that, it started doing the same thing and that time it was the relay or solenoid in the starter, it was clicking but not doing anything! Took it to an electromecanic shop and they rebuilt it...
Old 03-27-2011, 07:29 AM
79L48
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Mikey,
Sorry. I was gone all day and couldn't check in yesterday. You have to change the plugs. Spray starting fluid in each cylinder as you go. make sure the gaps are right. If you don't have a lift, it is a PIA. I admit I paid someone to do it, but I could drive my car to the shop. Sounds like you need to be a but more intrepid.
If that isn't it, you must have timing problems.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:37 AM
kdf1986
Safety Car

Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

If your battery was low or drained due to all the cranking, you might not have enough voltage to start your car. That might be the clicking noise you hear. You said you had the batter fully charged, but you are using a trickle charger. I dont think that will be enough to fully recharge your battery.

kdf
Old 03-27-2011, 05:54 PM
Mikey1968
Advanced

Thanks all/ had battery and starter bench tested at autozone, and it was indeed the starter. replaced it, and we are good to go.
Thanks!
Old 03-27-2011, 05:55 PM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by kdf1986
If your battery was low or drained due to all the cranking, you might not have enough voltage to start your car. That might be the clicking noise you hear. You said you had the batter fully charged, but you are using a trickle charger. I dont think that will be enough to fully recharge your battery.

kdf
Depends on how low the battery was and how long the charger was charging. If the battery is otherwise in good shape, a quality trickle charger (like the Battery Tender 800) will bring it to full capacity, eventually.

P.
Old 03-27-2011, 06:25 PM
rcread
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 96 Posts

Too late, but you can rebuild your starter for about $20 (American made kit) and 60 minutes.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:26 PM
Blue-C3
Navigator

Doing this same project this weekend as long as the rain here stops!

Get notified of new replies

To 1980 L-48. Need to change starter...

Quick Reply: 1980 L-48. Need to change starter...