Sponsored by:

I can see my tank sheet...

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 12:50 PM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Default I can see my tank sheet...

... how do I get it out without destroying it? Its a 1981. I can see it hanging over the edge of my tank. I touched it and a piece broke off. is there an easy way to just lower the tank a little and grab it?
Old 04-16-2011, 02:59 PM
BPHORSEGUY
Melting Slicks

Location: SUFFIELD CT USA 2023 C8 CORVETTE UN-MODIFIED FINALIST
Received 655 Likes on 351 Posts
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

No!
Old 04-16-2011, 03:25 PM
garage-ghost
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you try to reach in and grab it, you are most likely going to destroy it. The paper is very fragile and has to be remover with great care. Sorry but you have to drop the tank to do it safely. Not to say you could get lucky and there isn't much glue holding it on, but that isn't likely since it's still there. Take lots of pictures BEFORE making any attempt of removal, just in case it crumbles or gets torn. Good luck and patience.
Old 04-16-2011, 04:00 PM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by garage-ghost
If you try to reach in and grab it, you are most likely going to destroy it. The paper is very fragile and has to be remover with great care. Sorry but you have to drop the tank to do it safely. Not to say you could get lucky and there isn't much glue holding it on, but that isn't likely since it's still there. Take lots of pictures BEFORE making any attempt of removal, just in case it crumbles or gets torn. Good luck and patience.
Thanks. I didn't realize it was glued on, i thought they just stuffed the corner under the left side tank strap. I'm replacing my exhaust next Saturday. I will attempt to remove the tank then.
Old 04-16-2011, 07:49 PM
Sebago Shark
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Usually about a 3-4 inch gob of glue under it but it holds good. Pretty hard to remove with some damage. Try to get a good sharp razor blade under the glue.

Old 04-16-2011, 08:00 PM
Geno Kearney
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Sebago Shark
Usually about a 3-4 inch gob of glue under it but it holds good. Pretty hard to remove with some damage. Try to get a good sharp razor blade under the glue.

Did that build/tank sheet come out of that pace car? Where exactly was it? On what area of the tank? I'm hoping mine is there, but I can't see it or feel it. Thanks,

Geno
Old 04-17-2011, 08:23 AM
Sebago Shark
Racer

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Geno Kearney
Did that build/tank sheet come out of that pace car? Where exactly was it? On what area of the tank? I'm hoping mine is there, but I can't see it or feel it. Thanks,

Geno
Yes, the Pace car. Drivers side up on the front corner. Dropped it to fix the sending unit.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:55 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

If your 81 is a Bowling Green car, contact the NCM to determine whether they can provide a copy of the build order for your car. https://store.corvettemuseum.com/ser...buildsheet.asp

If your 81 is a St. Louis car, go here http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...x.php?cmd=area and see if the Allied-Vaughn folks have a copy of the original dealer invoice.

In either instance, you can get what you want without having to drop the tank.

Old 04-18-2011, 02:18 PM
daanbc
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

On my 77 it was on the tank shield, not the tank itself. I was lucky, there was only one small dab of glue holding it. The rest of the glue dried up and seperated from the shield. Like what was said before, TAKE PICS RIGHT FROM THE START. Just blowing on it to remove dust will wipe the ink away. I took mine and had it laminated right away. Good luck!
Old 04-18-2011, 02:35 PM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
If your 81 is a Bowling Green car, contact the NCM to determine whether they can provide a copy of the build order for your car. https://store.corvettemuseum.com/ser...buildsheet.asp

If your 81 is a St. Louis car, go here http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...x.php?cmd=area and see if the Allied-Vaughn folks have a copy of the original dealer invoice.

In either instance, you can get what you want without having to drop the tank.

Thanks, mine is a St. Louis car. I was considering trying to get the original invoice, as it will probably tell me even more about the car since they supply the name of the original dealer.

I'm still planning on trying to get it out on saturday, I'll let you guys know how it goes.
Old 04-18-2011, 03:17 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by qwank
...Thanks, mine is a St. Louis car. I was considering trying to get the original invoice, as it will probably tell me even more about the car since they supply the name of the original dealer...
Yep. The invoice has more information on it than the build sheet/order copy. It will have the date the car was expected to be shipped from St. Louis, the original dealer's name and address, all the options and prices; the GM mark up, etc. Nice to have.

Here's a sample from a '77. This one came from Allied-Vaughn.:

Get notified of new replies

To I can see my tank sheet...

Quick Reply: I can see my tank sheet...