Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A pillar sealing, what goes where?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 12:23 PM
dembo
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Default A pillar sealing, what goes where?

Hey everyone,
I've got strip caulk and a self adhesive foam. Myaim is too blurry to make up what goes where.
Does the caulk goes in between the windshield a pillar and the stainless trim and the self adhesive foam in between the stainless trim and the weatherstrip retainer?
Thanks in advance
Nick
Old 04-23-2011, 01:37 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

My 74 AIM does not list a caulk, but does show #306 and #316 Strip Sealer. It is possible one of the two could be a caulk. #316 is applied to the stainless molding; #306 is applied to the weatherstrip retainer.

My advice would be to attempt to determine which goes where when you remove the retainer and molding. Remnants of the old original should be on each piece.

#306 and #316 appear to seal against each other, so actual placement might not make much difference.

Old 04-23-2011, 02:14 PM
dembo
Burning Brakes

Thank you Mike for posting the page, couldn't read anything on mine. Car won't see any rain but you never know when you get a unsuspected shower so I want to do it right anyway.
Regards,
Nick
Old 04-23-2011, 02:31 PM
C6DuffMan
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Another related question, maybe someone has a pic. The top screw, #7, is there a washer or small plate that goes on with the screw? It would seem that the screw would go right through the weatherstripping.
Old 04-23-2011, 02:54 PM
dembo
Burning Brakes

Was wondering about that too although my corner molding has a slot hole, my a pillar only has the four lower holes and none at the top. I will glue, silicone, ... The top of the weatherstrip to the molding
Nick
Old 04-23-2011, 04:38 PM
Roco71
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dembo
Hey everyone,
I've got strip caulk and a self adhesive foam. Myaim is too blurry to make up what goes where.
Does the caulk goes in between the windshield a pillar and the stainless trim and the self adhesive foam in between the stainless trim and the weatherstrip retainer?
Thanks in advance
Nick
I have been wondering the same thing. When I took mine apart the strips were on the A pillar but that does not mean that GM put them there. In my case it could have been the buba that had my car before me.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:03 AM
C6DuffMan
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry for derailing this thread. But I did find the washer in Dr Rebuild's catalog. I don't know if this is a factory piece or something Doc Rebuild has added. It's listed as a "Tip" for the Weatherstrip (A).

Dr Rebuild, page 117.

Get notified of new replies

To A pillar sealing, what goes where?

Quick Reply: A pillar sealing, what goes where?