Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing valve cover gaskets, help?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 05:36 PM
ATCmoose
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Replacing valve cover gaskets, help?

O.k. so if you read my previous thread you know Bubba but the valve covers on backwards. I am almost done swapping them with new gaskets but....

1. New Felpro gaskets have markings on one side and not on the other. Does it matter which way is up?

2. The gasket sealant says to coat both sides of the gasket, I understood to coat only the valve cover side and use oil on the other... Right or wrong.

I really want to get these puppies on.

Thanks,

Moose.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:23 PM
merc49
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

if there is a right side and wrong side it will be clearly marked,if there is no markings then it doesnt matter.i coat both sides of gaskets,except head gaskets.with valve covers make sure you dont overtighten them and recheck after 100 miles.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:25 PM
ATCmoose
Instructor

Originally Posted by merc49
if there is a right side and wrong side it will be clearly marked,if there is no markings then it doesnt matter.i coat both sides of gaskets,except head gaskets.with valve covers make sure you dont overtighten them and recheck after 100 miles.
O.k. one side is plain and the other side has blue stripes but no words... Either way then?
Old 06-06-2011, 07:48 PM
Roco71
Melting Slicks

I think some are suggesting that you use sealer on the valve cover only so that you can take them on and off without replacing them every time.

I love your new ride I can tell that you are having fun with it! Lots more fun to come! Post a few photos as you push forward.
Scott

Last edited by Roco71; 06-06-2011 at 08:03 PM.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:03 PM
Timsride
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always put writing up but it makes no difference. I also always silicone both sides as I never have luck with them not leaking. But I know people who only do one side and never have a problem.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:29 PM
merc49
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

it doesnt matter which side is up,if you are going to be taking the covers off then glue them to the cover only.if you are not and dont want to take them off for a long time then seal both sides.if you never want them to leak go to an international truck dealer and buy their gray gasket sealer,the stuff is the best ive ever used but its a bear to get off but ive seen deisel engines with 300,000 miles and still no leaks.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:43 PM
larryg3
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

I personally only put sealant on the valve cover side. It is very important not to over tighten and to recheck every once in a while.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:35 AM
mar
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Indian Head sealing shellac on valve cover side - as above so you can get them on and off w/o damage.

Get notified of new replies

To Replacing valve cover gaskets, help?

Quick Reply: Replacing valve cover gaskets, help?