Sponsored by:

"81" Door Locks Again

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 07:31 PM
Platinumpanther
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "81" Door Locks Again

Has anybody gone this deep into the lock latch function? What can be done?

Door panels off, new actuators installed, new exterior door handles installed, new linkages installed, latching mechanism cleaned and lubed and here is what happens;

Everthing works as it should until the latch catch closes to a furthest position and you lock the door, then nothing will unlock it; the latch catch has two position. That is unless you push down and click a rectangular portion of the internal locking mechanism with a slotted screw driver, which is easiest to do with the door panel off. I searched past threads and could not find this issue.

I am testing all of the linkages and new parts with the door open. I am throwing the latch catch with a screw driver as if it were the striker bolt. Then I am testing the handles and they open they latch. Then I do it again this time locking the door manually either with the key or the interior lock button; and again they open the latch.

Then, with the screw driver, I push the latch catch to its deepest second position, a second click, and this is where the latch mechanism fails and binds up. As long as you do not throw any of the locks, by key, by interior manual or electrical switch, then the door latch will release and the door will open. However, when you do activate the locks then the latch will not unlock, period.

This problem started when I had the car painted and had new rubber door gasket installed. Then my doors would not unlock. I went through all of the steps of cleaning and then replacing parts. The only thing I have not replaced are the latch mechanisms. My extensive dissassembly and reassembly of door panels and door lock mechanisms resulted in the test results above.

I also read the other threads and Tom Russo's article on door lock actuators, good article!

Last edited by Platinumpanther; 06-09-2011 at 07:37 PM.
Old 06-09-2011, 07:45 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Sounds like you have the outside door handle linkage too tight.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:52 PM
Platinumpanther
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That Was it! I adjusted the outside door handle linkage and it no longer locks up the mechanism. Thanks!
Old 06-11-2011, 10:35 PM
ButchN
Pro

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Platinumpanther
I also read the other threads and Tom Russo's article on door lock actuators, good article!
Can you link to the Tom Russo article please?
My 82 is in the bodyshop right now & I had mechaism & the lock sticking on the pass door.
Figured while it was in there I'd tinker & adjust a bit.

Thanks.

Get notified of new replies

To "81" Door Locks Again

Quick Reply: "81" Door Locks Again