Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About to rebuild my th350

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 09:16 PM
mzimerf
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its a 4 tab washer. There are a few in there but this one, no idea why it ended up on my counter and not inside the trans
Old 08-10-2011, 09:53 PM
Steve2147
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You "might" have to take it apart again? Left over washers are never a good thing in an automatic. I must have done 100 350's in my time, but can't picture the layout right now. It's been a while. There is a plastic tabbed washer on the back end of the centre support inner race, if I remember correctly. If you can lay your hands on any gm factory service manual of the era it will give you a blow by blow.

Did you check the endplay before you stripped it? It is always done prior to strip so that any adjustment can be made via the selective washer. Rechecking it now and compare to initial will confirm the ommission.

Did you figure out the anti rattle spring in the centre support? I still remember the first one I did and puzzling over that for the longest time.

Steve g
Old 08-10-2011, 10:06 PM
mzimerf
Intermediate

The endplay is within range. The thrust washer is puzzling. I thought I put all of them back in.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:41 PM
mzimerf
Intermediate

Update-i took everything apart again and installed the extra thrust washer. Weird. They doubled it up on the planetary. The trans is in, and after a lot of cursing, and a whole lot of shoving I got the dip stick tube in. F%?$ing nightmare. Now the question- does it matter which cooler line is comnected to which? I cut mine and connected them with rubber but cant remember which one went where. I dont think it matters but better safe than sorry. Otherwise, a pretty easy install. The torque converter I used was a tci 2400 stall which im exited about. The only other issue I had was a dented oil pan which I replaced with a new one, and a bolt hole for the trans/shift linckage which I had to tap. But damn that dip stick tube. I def bent it, but it fit.
Old 08-18-2011, 11:06 PM
Vette79C3
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mzimerf
Update-i took everything apart again and installed the extra thrust washer. Weird. They doubled it up on the planetary. The trans is in, and after a lot of cursing, and a whole lot of shoving I got the dip stick tube in. F%?$ing nightmare. Now the question- does it matter which cooler line is comnected to which? I cut mine and connected them with rubber but cant remember which one went where. I dont think it matters but better safe than sorry. Otherwise, a pretty easy install. The torque converter I used was a tci 2400 stall which im exited about. The only other issue I had was a dented oil pan which I replaced with a new one, and a bolt hole for the trans/shift linckage which I had to tap. But damn that dip stick tube. I def bent it, but it fit.
It definitely does matter which cooler line is connected where. You don't want to mix the two. Also, when I got my trans back in with new stall and stall cover, the balancer on the center of the flywheel was hitting the new stall cover. We had to remove exhaust and headers again to remove cover. Hope you installed a trans pan with a drain bolt. Makes a huge difference. Also, check the fluid when hot. Run it and then check it again but always when idling and hot. You'll like the upgrade in stall. Good Times!
Old 08-18-2011, 11:13 PM
mzimerf
Intermediate

Good to know about the cooler lines. I didnt have any issues with the torque converter going in, they were a good match. And heck yea I got a drain plug. 20 bucks for the pan shipped. Not a bad deal
Old 09-11-2011, 10:28 PM
mzimerf
Intermediate

so without getting dirty, i enjoyed my maiden voyage very much! the trans shifts smooth, good power transfer, i havent laid into her yet but man is it smooth. Definately worth the time and money. Ive driven it to work three or four times already at 40 miles each way with absolutely a H#$d on the whole way. Next up is the interior and figuring out the carb issue.

Quick Reply: About to rebuild my th350