C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'77 Vette thinking of buying

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 06:45 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,357 Likes on 2,785 Posts

Its a 4 speed? No.

This is one of those cases where you may be getting too excited about a low price. It is heavily modified from the color to the interior to the engine compartment, and not very high-end modified. I imagine the seats are in tatters under those loose fitting JC Whitney covers.

The car is kind of a mess and that doesnt even take into account the potential mechnical issues with the engine, suspension or rust. Interior is very scruffy and messed with, and that tied up little ball of stuff hanging under the driver's dash pad doesnt make me warm n fuzzy. The engine compartment is not pretty either, although the lonely little shoved-in gauge is an interesting touch.

Outside of the electric color, I'd be very interested to look closely at the quality of the bodywork under the color, given the lack of interest in detail and quality in the rest of the car.

$5500 sounds low, but this car is begging for someone to write checks for it. Its also a terrible candidate for resale if that means anything to you. I think $5500 is easily too much.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:33 PM
medic1555
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer5869
Its a 4 speed? No.

This is one of those cases where you may be getting too excited about a low price. It is heavily modified from the color to the interior to the engine compartment, and not very high-end modified. I imagine the seats are in tatters under those loose fitting JC Whitney covers.

The car is kind of a mess and that doesnt even take into account the potential mechnical issues with the engine, suspension or rust. Interior is very scruffy and messed with, and that tied up little ball of stuff hanging under the driver's dash pad doesnt make me warm n fuzzy. The engine compartment is not pretty either, although the lonely little shoved-in gauge is an interesting touch.

Outside of the electric color, I'd be very interested to look closely at the quality of the bodywork under the color, given the lack of interest in detail and quality in the rest of the car.

$5500 sounds low, but this car is begging for someone to write checks for it. Its also a terrible candidate for resale if that means anything to you. I think $5500 is easily too much.
I agree. Outside of the color there is not much else that excites me about the car. I think I'd rather spend a few more bucks and get something a little nicer. Thank you all for the input. I am looking forward to owning a vet and being part of your group.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:02 PM
wgarneau
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by medic1555
I agree. Outside of the color there is not much else that excites me about the car. I think I'd rather spend a few more bucks and get something a little nicer. Thank you all for the input. I am looking forward to owning a vet and being part of your group.
I disagree. I would say that if the body and frame are in good shape, and if it runs reasonably well, then it is worth $5500. The real question should be whether or not, based in the state of this car and this potential buyer's technical capabilities, this car is a good fit for this buyer. If he likes a rat rod and can do some of the work himself, it looks like a good deal. If he wants stock, or if he is not mechanically inclined, he should pass. But it sounds like a pretty good deal for someone.

Quick Reply: '77 Vette thinking of buying