82 Fuel Pump shot??

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 12:23 PM
c34t&me
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 82 Fuel Pump shot??

Hi,
My gas gauge would peg full all the time, I could jerk the steering wheel on the road and sometimes make it read correctly again (level in tank). Well, I gave her a good jerk the other day and car starts losing power and dies. It will start, but not run. Turn key to on, do not hear 2 second buzz from pump, but do hear a click from computer after two seconds. When trying to start car, injectors are squirting, but as soon as it starts...it dies. Any ideas?
Old 08-21-2011, 11:05 PM
c34t&me
5th Gear

Ok, car was towed home and sat for a week, today it started but runs rough as heck, have not put a wrench to it yet? Possible fuel pump issue still??? Obviously it has gas. Thanks in advance....
Old 08-22-2011, 09:32 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Have you checked the computer for error codes?
Old 08-22-2011, 09:48 AM
c34t&me
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
Have you checked the computer for error codes?
The check engine light does not come on when running...
Old 08-22-2011, 09:10 PM
c34t&me
5th Gear

Originally Posted by c34t&me
The check engine light does not come on when running...
Is there a procedure for checking the computer? Like turn the key on, and look for flashes of the check engine light, or is a 82 too early for this? Im thinking maybe a bad rubber coupler from pump to hard line, maybe the hard turning I did sloshed enough fuel to knock it out of whack??? I will pull the pump and see what it looks like, for the 40 or 50 bucks, probably a good idea as it is most likely original. The car always had a little stall/hesitation feel to it since I aquired it.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:38 PM
jdp6000
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by c34t&me
Is there a procedure for checking the computer? Like turn the key on, and look for flashes of the check engine light, or is a 82 too early for this? Im thinking maybe a bad rubber coupler from pump to hard line, maybe the hard turning I did sloshed enough fuel to knock it out of whack??? I will pull the pump and see what it looks like, for the 40 or 50 bucks, probably a good idea as it is most likely original. The car always had a little stall/hesitation feel to it since I aquired it.
Good chance its the pump or the rubber hose on the pump in the tank, make sure you change both.

You can get the ECM to flash. Connector is under the ashtray. Use the two pins towards the driver side. Bend something into a "U" shape, insert into the two pins. Turn the key to on. Watch the engine light. it will flash 12 three times to start diagnostic and 12 three times to end. Codes are in the middle of the triple 12's.

It will flash once the twice for 12 and do this again 3 times. codes will follow.

I don't think you have codes or the engine light would be on.

Have you checked the fuse beside the ECM/

Jim

Get notified of new replies

To 82 Fuel Pump shot??

Quick Reply: 82 Fuel Pump shot??