Sponsored by:

Maybe My Last Woodward Cruise

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 01:18 PM
63split63
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Maybe My Last Woodward Cruise

Boy has it changed, The last time I was there it was about 3 years ago and it was great. Lots of hot rods , muscle cars, classics and lots of what the heck was that types. Now I think there was more new Camaro's, Mustangs , C6 Corvetts and rubbernecking dailey drivers cruising and plugging everything up.
I guess everthing has to get too big these days . Looks to me like all the middle aged guys that dressed up like bikers in the 90s and bought harleys have traded them in on new Detroit muscle cars.

JMO Bill
Old 08-23-2011, 01:25 PM
Dustup7T2
Terrorizing Orange Cones
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I've never been and only know a little of this cruise. Sounds like the regulars didn't show? Is it only one day or over a weekend?

No fun without the regular crowd to remind us of days gone by. We all see the new ones daily and as ok as they are, they are not classics...yet.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:54 PM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Like most here, I'm a big car guy, and don't live to far from Woodward. I can pretty much take or leave the cruise, but had several friends going, so just parked my daily car in the 13 mile Memorial lot for $10 bucks and walked around. No way I'd ever cruise my cars at this event, as been a bumper to bumper zoo for years. Not sure how long you were there, as usually go's to 9 pm. The weather got so wicked though, everything got shut down by 4 pm. Thankfully, I was out of there hours earlier.
Old 08-23-2011, 02:18 PM
sly vette
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been going for years and will continue to do so.
Being that this is pretty much a week long event, I learned that mid-week is the time to go. Wed. or Thurs after rush hour seem to be good viewing times. I try to arrive before noon, have a nice lunch at Duggans and sit N. of Normandy till the traffic clears. I would never go on a Sat.
Next year I hope to take advantage of some of the events that are arranged by members that post in the Great Lakes Region. I believe they had over 500 'Vettes come in this year from all over the Country!
Old 08-23-2011, 03:41 PM
onaqwst
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

the regulars usually cruise during the week and park on the weekend.... i cruised a few times and tried to cruise on friday evening but it was sooo packed that after an hour and only getting 2 miles, i skipped out and parked it at home... was afraid of overheating/etc....

tooo much b.s. on woodward now....
Old 08-23-2011, 04:57 PM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by sly vette
I have been going for years and will continue to do so.
Being that this is pretty much a week long event, I learned that mid-week is the time to go. Wed. or Thurs after rush hour seem to be good viewing times. I try to arrive before noon, have a nice lunch at Duggans and sit N. of Normandy till the traffic clears. I would never go on a Sat.
Next year I hope to take advantage of some of the events that are arranged by members that post in the Great Lakes Region. I believe they had over 500 'Vettes come in this year from all over the Country!
Not sure how many Vettes were there on Sat, but met up with some NCRS friends in a lot they rented N of 13, and were 75+ alone. $75 bucks a spot though.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:16 PM
Tim H
Safety Car

Received 103 Likes on 69 Posts

Thats like on the Hot rod power tour when the "PT CRUISER" came out they took up all the good spots at all the stops and the hotrods and old iron got to park in dirt fields and little store parking lots around the corner!
I wrote "HOTROD and ask why this happened and they told me the tour wasn't about he cars but all about the people so I wrote back and told them me and my buddies would take a taxi next time and leave the old cars at home.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:35 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

that's why the Telegraph and Downriver Cruises have become much better events, and even in the rain with the Telegraph Cruise..... no scalping either and the Woodward event is out of control from the money grabbers......lets see how the Edward Hines Park event turns out as its in the park and I understand limited to true rods and classics.....from Outer Drive to Ann Arbor trail, roughly 8 or 9 miles
Old 08-23-2011, 05:38 PM
HOOAH
1969/1971/1976 Coupes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

This was my first year going and I thought it was great! Judging by what most have said, I can only imagine how it was years ago. I do agree that they should shut it down to the regular daily driver crowd which in my opinion would be very doable for the one day of the official cruise. I also wasn't really into the rusted out Volaries and hub capped station wagons but I guess some may be. I'll continue to go just to see the sites/rods that we don't typically see from day to day.

One thing that suprised me was that the Royal Oak Sheriffs were driving new Challengers and Camaro's (maybe during the cruise only)?????. I've also seen some of the State Boys driving wicked looking blacked out Chargers too though (during off season Dream Cruise periods).

Old 08-23-2011, 06:11 PM
ragtag74
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Woodward

I have never been to the Woodward Cruise,but always dreamed of going.A bit far from South Florida.Now we have our own.Daytona Beach Dream Cruise.This coming October 21st -23rd will be the 4th one.Last year was my first one and Iwill be going again this year. Check it out on their webb site lots of pictures and details. www.daytonabeachdreamcruise.com John
Old 08-23-2011, 06:27 PM
Duke94
Le Mans Master

Received 260 Likes on 211 Posts

The extension of the cruise is the Flint "Back to the Bricks" and it is very nice with less Minivans but lots of Hot Rods. Try it next year.

Gary
Old 08-23-2011, 10:25 PM
sly vette
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Duke94
The extension of the cruise is the Flint "Back to the Bricks" and it is very nice with less Minivans but lots of Hot Rods. Try it next year.

Gary
When and where does this start?
Old 08-24-2011, 08:33 AM
63split63
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Flint and Pontiac

Flint is about 45 minutes north of Detroit . It is a much smaller area and also conjested . We were there on Friday and it is the downtown area ( main street ) . It is OK but not anything near the size of Woodward .
We also cruised up to Pontiac on Woodward, it gives you a little free running to cool things down and when you get downtown Pontiac you just follow the loop and you are heading right back down Woodward to Detroit.
Pontiac has lots of cruiser,s and spectators in lawn chairs also.

Bill
Old 08-24-2011, 12:24 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

I used to cruise Woodward, mostly with my best friend in his blue 69 Chevelle, just a 350 he was a pro at meeting girls. Didn't do any drag racing. We would ride from 10.5 mile rd (Lincoln) out to Telegraph and back. Then I went off to college... 1970/71
I would love to go back one of these years.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:05 PM
Sunstroked
Melting Slicks

Received 146 Likes on 114 Posts

Today's muscle cars are every bit as powerful as our vintage cars were. I lived in MI until I was 30. then again from1994-2000. Used to cruise the spots with a 73 camaro that was customized back in the late 70's early 80's. Car was maybe 5-9 yrs old when I was "cruising". No different than someone pulling out there 06 Z06 now, is it?
Last I heard it was named the "dream cruise" not the 72 and older cruise. Which by the way is exactly why I chose to build a 72 corvette. It is the cutoff year for several classic car shows such as good guys. Now I can drive into the event. (well, when its finished anyway) Even though I think my 92 vette is a sweet car too, apparently a 19 yr old car is not a classic.
I understand the traffic jam, it's just a testament as to how popular it is and car people wanting to participate.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:13 PM
Duke94
Le Mans Master

Received 260 Likes on 211 Posts

Here's a link to their website.

Gary

http://backtothebricks.org/index2.html
Old 08-24-2011, 06:22 PM
b.lee
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Monday - Friday are the best days of the Dream Cruise
Saturday is almost impossible to get around.
Sunday it is completely dead down there

Get notified of new replies

To Maybe My Last Woodward Cruise

Old 08-24-2011, 08:00 PM
sly vette
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Duke94
Here's a link to their website.

Gary

http://backtothebricks.org/index2.html
Thanks!
I think i will try it next year.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:30 PM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Still a cool event to attend, but I just dont drive Woodward on Sat. It's really more about meeting with friends, and checking out the cars for me. The mentioned old vs new muscle car comparison really isn't fair, as technology marches on. My daily 08' Pontiac GXP, would easily dust most of these.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:45 PM
Sunstroked
Melting Slicks

Received 146 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette5.5
The mentioned old vs new muscle car comparison really isn't fair, as technology marches on. My daily 08' Pontiac GXP, would easily dust most of these.
Its not about old vs new. Its a car cruise. Started out to showcase older cars and bring back the days when guys and gals cruised the avenue looking for love or a race. To show off what you had been working on. To be seen. Nothing has changed over the years. Just that we are all getting older.

Change the name to the old car cruise. Put a cutoff year on those who can participate and you will have your open road to cruise on. But then again you will also **** off a large segment of the current attendees simply because they can not participate.

Quick Reply: Maybe My Last Woodward Cruise