76 L-48 Value?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 05:40 PM
serenitynow
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 76 L-48 Value?

Considering selling this 76 L-48.
I've seen some similar F/S on here but nothing close enough to figure a value.
So I figured what better place to ask then here...?

GENERAL
123715 Miles, all in SE Texas
Engine was rebuilt in 2001, when car had about 118,000 on it.
(Yes, it's only had ±5,000 miles put on it in the last 10+ years.)
2nd owner, since 1982
Always garage kept, has not spent a night outdoors since 1984
Was in minor fender bender in 1984 that damaged front plastic nose and rear plastic endcap. No structural damage.

INTERIOR/EXTERIOR
Interior is all original, shows wear of course.
All gauges work, except clock.
Stock AM/FM radio does not work.
Just passed Texas State Inspection, so things like wipers, lights, headlamp doors, etc. are in working order.
Paint color is original, it was repainted in 1984.
Next to last image shows how paint looks up close. You can't see this from 5' away.
Tires have less than 300 miles on them.

ENGINE/CHASSIS
Starts up fine, even after sitting for a while
It does need brake work on hydraulic side. Friction parts are fairly new.
Runs and drives fine also - could be driven daily after brake work.
A/C components replaced in 2001 with rebuilt engine, but it does not work now. No idea how severe this is.
AFAIK, TH-350 transmission is all original, never rebuilt. Shifts are firm and well defined, not a hint of a problem.
Headers installed, true dual exhaust.
350/327 hyd. cam 222 duration @ .050 (.447/.447), roller rockers.
Edelbrock intake and carb.
MSD ignition

Thanks in advance.

Old 12-10-2011, 06:26 PM
LancePearson
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

what research have you done yourself? You might consider finding examples for sale or sold and their condition to determine it. These cars have widely different values to various owners. I own a 76 as well and in the last year put what I paid for it into it to take it on a road racing track safely for a day, modernize the exhaust, etc. and the exterior and interior are excellent with a great motor in it. If I were looking at yours, I would grade the interior as pretty rough. Seats are shot, door panels are shot and when you see that you begin to wonder about all the rest. The miles are pretty high to command a market plus price and would probably command a market minus price and it's been 27 years since the repaint. In addition, the automatic transmission makes the car less desirable to many Corvette buyers, not all.

Personally, if I were looking I would look past your car as market prices I could fairly easily find one in better shape for market. Just being realistic.

You asked for feedback....these cars values are very subjective to potential buyers and vary greatly so expect a wide range of responses and reactions. Mine is essentially negative in that I would have kept on looking past your car for the above reasons and found one like mine eventually at anything over a well below market price. Now that I know how expensive it is to do almost anything on these cars I would feel that way even more so.

The motor sounds okay.

Above is just my opinion and is admittedly subjective but 14 months ago I was shopping and it is exactly what I would have and still do think. Market where you are might be different but around here if good condition is $8-11K, I'd offer $5-6k for your car at most if I made an offer which I wouldn't because of the above. Others might feel differently.

Lance P.
Old 12-10-2011, 06:39 PM
serenitynow
Cruising

Originally Posted by LancePearson
Personally, if I were looking I would look past your car as market prices I could fairly easily find one in better shape for market. Just being realistic.

Above is just my opinion and is admittedly subjective but 14 months ago I was shopping and it is exactly what I would have and still do think. Market where you are might be different but around here if good condition is $8-11K, I'd offer $5-6k for your car at most if I made an offer which I wouldn't because of the above. Others might feel differently.
Exactly the feedback I'm looking for. Thanks.
Hopefully some others will chime in also.
Old 12-10-2011, 07:10 PM
vairxpert
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

I just sold my '75 a few weeks ago for $6,000 to a long time friend. Found my dream car Porsche and wanted the Vette gone ASAP to make room.
If it wasn't for that situation I probably would have held out for about $6800. Downside is I'll have to continue to see it in the future...after 12 years I grew to despise that car.

Mine had 82,000 miles with paint condition similar to yours. My interior was near mint (no offense but yours is trashed and needs to be completely restored), A/C worked perfect, TH400 automatic, brakes perfect etc. Also similar to yours, it had headers, true dual exhaust and performance carb. It also had a nice stereo system and included the original radio plus all other original parts removed such as manifolds and emissions equipment.

In my opinion yours would be worth about $5K in my area. Fix the brakes and A/C and ask around $6K. At the very least get the brakes functioning properly before putting it up for sale. I'd let the next owner worry about the interior as I don't think you'd recoup your costs within the selling price on that.
Old 12-11-2011, 07:57 PM
Scotty76
Instructor

These fellas nailed it, 5K.

Get notified of new replies

To 76 L-48 Value?

Quick Reply: 76 L-48 Value?