383 crate vs LS motor

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 02:31 PM
Willytrash
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 383 crate vs LS motor

I really don't want this to be a long thread, but after all my reading of other posts wouldn't it just be easier to install a 383 GM crate motor over an LS1/2/3 or whatever? From what I've read the crate motor is just a drop in and the LS is like a major redoing of everything. Or am I missing something? Does everybody who does an LS motor are they really like major mountain climbers that want to conquer Mt. Everest? And wouldn't they just end up with the same more or less HP. Just curious, now I understand this is a hobby, but I wouldn't think this is cost effective. Just asking.
Old 12-14-2011, 03:08 PM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

I agree with you. And you if want fuel injection you can easily buy a bolt on kit for the price of all the LS swap nonsense and not have to deal with the fabrication and headaches.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:03 PM
sly vette
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have the need or money for a LS swap but I would love to do one just for the challenge.
For some guys, fabrication is the "Fun Part"!
And as far as being cost effective....That kinda' goes out the window as soon as you by a classic car. After all it gets you from point A to point B just like public transportation and a bus is alot cheaper.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:35 PM
jordan89
Safety Car

The 383 will dropo right in, as to where the LSX swap will require motor mount adapters, dealing with computer and wiring, fuel system for fuel injection, etc... It will require a bunch of more time and $$. I would love to do an LS swap, but with a baby on the way and school there is no budget for something like that right. The LSX motors are a great power plant, and are also very efficient/reliable motors as well.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:41 PM
RickyBerg
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Im an oldshool guy so i will say the 383 woud be my choice.

Put the money on the funfactor rather than to hide it in newer technology.

//Ricky.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:08 PM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Willytrash
I really don't want this to be a long thread, but after all my reading of other posts wouldn't it just be easier to install a 383 GM crate motor over an LS1/2/3 or whatever? From what I've read the crate motor is just a drop in and the LS is like a major redoing of everything. Or am I missing something? Does everybody who does an LS motor are they really like major mountain climbers that want to conquer Mt. Everest? And wouldn't they just end up with the same more or less HP. Just curious, now I understand this is a hobby, but I wouldn't think this is cost effective. Just asking.
Well i did the swap because i wanted something different.Now i did my entire swap for 1500 including starting with a bare block.I searched for best deals on everything i needed,ls1tech forum,c5 corvette forum section,etc....I reused my sidepipes and welded new ls1 flanges to them,i did my own work on everything.Now in stock form the ls1 motor made 350 hp. but also get about 22 mpg. so 350 hp 22mpg and a smooth idle , a big weight savings on the front end with aluminum block and heads,to me it was very cost effective.Now this last year i got bored with the hp so i got a cam,new convertor ,and springs so im now at 1800 or so total.But if you cant do your own work and just go buy a motor and go with every aftermarket part around then yeah itll be expensive.just my 2 cents.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:55 PM
Willytrash
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Well like I surmised, it's really just the challenge. How to do it cheaply, gathering the parts, making up brackets and just improvising the whole installation. I guess it's part of the hobby. I really don't see that much weight difference if your GM 383 crate has aluminum heads, which I think they all do. Also the LS wouldn't have the lobing idle which would be a little strange hearing nothing from a C3. Maybe part of the "My C3 is really different" thinking. I guess that answers my question for me.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:52 PM
Quil
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

If you want a loping idle, put a cam in. An LS motor can hit a lick like a champ, too.

Here's a vid of my old WS6...the exhaust cutout opens around 33 seconds in...

Old 12-14-2011, 09:45 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

I have had many motors in my 72. From a 350 to a 383 then I fuel injected the 383 then put big heads and a roller cam in the 383. I am now in the middle of putting in an LS3. It is a lot more work for the LS motor. I enjoy the challenge and mine is by no means a low budget build but i do not have an unlimited budget either. I put in a cam that will have a lope and it will not be tame sounding at all. It should put out around 530 flywheel HP so it should go pretty good. I just wanted something diferent.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:47 PM
72LS1Vette
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Well like I surmised, it's really just the challenge. How to do it cheaply, gathering the parts, making up brackets and just improvising the whole installation. I guess it's part of the hobby. I really don't see that much weight difference if your GM 383 crate has aluminum heads, which I think they all do. Also the LS wouldn't have the lobing idle which would be a little strange hearing nothing from a C3. Maybe part of the "My C3 is really different" thinking. I guess that answers my question for me.
An iron block with aluminum heads is going to weigh more than an all-aluminum engine, but I think the real purpose of this thread was to gather a couple of opinions that would reinforce your decision. If the old engine design was so good GM wouldn't have spent the $ to design the LS engines. Times change and technology advances. It's like the old saying in Harley circles "If you understand no explanation is necessary, if you don't no explanation is possible".

Rick B.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:54 PM
Dose11
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

One day I want to do an LS swap...just because I want to take an old(er) car and put all new stuff in it. Other than that and gas mileage there is no real reason to do an LS swap unless you just want to.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:29 PM
STINGRAY1WORD
Racer

Well here is the best of both worlds a small block chevy casting that allows the LS heads and induction system to be bolted on along with a distributor.
http://www.worldcastings.com/product...ron-block.html
Old 12-15-2011, 03:44 AM
UberLegend
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went the lumpy cam 383 side pipe route (#match engine and tranny on a stand) coz I want that specific generation of sound for my '70. The general public is treated to the whole package and it wows them.

The burble of an LT1 in my '95 and the crackle of an LS1 in my '98 are appropriate for their generations of tech.

A solid lifter 327 has it's own distinctive sound at WOT and I'm building one for my '58.

Cliffs: I want the generation of sound to match the generation of the respective Vette.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:58 AM
Frankenvette
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by STINGRAY1WORD
Well here is the best of both worlds a small block chevy casting that allows the LS heads and induction system to be bolted on along with a distributor.
http://www.worldcastings.com/product...ron-block.html
That's kind of cool but their price is $2,100 for a bare block
Old 12-15-2011, 08:29 AM
Willytrash
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Yes I'm sure the 383 would weigh more, but not much more. And as far a gas mileage a 5 speed would bring everything back in line. And reliability issues would probably be about the same, small blocks been around forever. But one thing that sticks in the back of my mind and I've seen it many times is the fact that the more money and complexity that goes into the project the better chance it doesn't get finished. I've seen many Ebay ads saying "Lost interest", "Lost Storage", "Ran out of Money". So I'm trying to be realistic and I guess I kind of know myself and how I sometimes lose interest if it takes too long. So I'm just weighing my options. I've heard of guys saying a 383 is a good weekend job, nobody says that about an LS swap.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:12 AM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,487 Likes on 1,644 Posts

I've heard of guys saying a 383 is a good weekend job, nobody says that about an LS swap.
That's because the 383 is basically an engine swap. Your are replacing the existing engine with something that is dimensionally the same size. With the LSx swap there is a lot more involved. Fuel system and cooling system a side from the fact that the mounts are different just to name a few. With the 383 there should be little to no "issues" to work out. The LS motors are great and if you rode in an older car that has a LS in it your descision would be even harder. If you want to keep things simple and easy I think you have already made up your mind.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:31 AM
rudolph schenker
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 233 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by RickyBerg
Im an oldshool guy so i will say the 383 woud be my choice.

Put the money on the funfactor rather than to hide it in newer technology.

//Ricky.

Get notified of new replies

To 383 crate vs LS motor

Old 12-15-2011, 11:51 AM
Sunstroked
Melting Slicks

Received 146 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by PatsLs1vette
Well i did the swap because i wanted something different.Now i did my entire swap for 1500 including starting with a bare block.I searched for best deals on everything i needed,ls1tech forum,c5 corvette forum section,etc....I reused my sidepipes and welded new ls1 flanges to them,i did my own work on everything.Now in stock form the ls1 motor made 350 hp. but also get about 22 mpg. so 350 hp 22mpg and a smooth idle , a big weight savings on the front end with aluminum block and heads,to me it was very cost effective.Now this last year i got bored with the hp so i got a cam,new convertor ,and springs so im now at 1800 or so total.But if you cant do your own work and just go buy a motor and go with every aftermarket part around then yeah itll be expensive.just my 2 cents.
If I could find an all aluminum ls for 1500 I'd have it in my 92 next week.guess I haven't found that deal yet.

But my, 72 is getting a stroker. Not just for the simplicity and cost effectiveness, (good builds cost$$$$$) but because I like the looks of a 1st gen engine. I want to see polished valve covers, aluminum intakes, not engine covers in my old vette.
Old 12-15-2011, 12:25 PM
SOMFormula
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm doing an LS1 swap into my '80 with a T-56.

Why?
I'm sorry, I'm just not a SBC fan. I'm a fan of technology, for one. And I hate scraping gaskets. Plus, I like the "wow" factor of having something different under the hood.

I realize my '80 isn't worth $500...but to me, its worth its weight in gold just for the "fun" factor. I even enjoy driving it right now with that stock 305/TH350 in it. I can't WAIT to see how it drives with a 6speed and an LS1. I do consider it an "old school" car...with the added benefits of it being a Corvette. I expect problems with my swap and I expect challenges. I even look forward to them. It is a hobby to me and I enjoy working on and tinkering with my toys.
As far as cost? Yes, it is expensive. I'm not taking shortcuts and I will learn along the way. Just the rebuilding of the suspension has been pricey!
I feel fortunate because I have owned 2 LS1 Firebirds and still own one of them. So I have a lot of left over parts from my Firebird that will bolt right onto my corvette swap. I have many leftover stock parts and friends that have done work on there cars with leftover parts so that I have been able to get a lot of things for my build at a reasonable price, or even free!
Now, I AM doing a forged bottom end for my nitrous setup. So that isn't cheap, but I am using the stock crank (to save money) and I am using all ARP hardware. So if something blows up...I can reuse a lot of the parts in the future. And yes, I plan on beating the **** out of this car when I drive it. 7000 rpms, true dual's with an X-pipe and dual low profile DMH cutout's and stock muffler's are on that list. An HSW plate system (I already have the stock LS6 intake and plate system off of my Firebird) with stock P&P 241's and a TR-224R cam. I should be about 400+ rwhp and still pass the CA sniffer with stock logs and cats (also from my firebird) and switch back to LT's after I get my CARB cert.
I am also going with a built T-56 (to handle the power and abuse) I am sourcing locally. I am going with a Monster clutch (same one that my Firebird uses). None of these things are "cheap". But then again, I am not doing a budget build. I am doing a fun build that will be reliable and drive as nice as a modern car drives. Plus the occasional auto-x or track day along with a few passes down the strip will be in order. All of this, inside my favorite looking body styled Corvette. Fiberglass cracks and all!

Granted...I'm not one to sell my cars though. I buy a car, and I hang onto it. I've owned my Firebird since I bought it brand new in 2001, for example. So I don't see myself ever getting rid of this car. So to me, it is worth the extra effort/time/money put into it.
Old 12-15-2011, 05:22 PM
NHRalph
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's more a question of what a person wants from his Corvette. I like things simple and generation appropriate but that i s just me. If people want the headaches and money to throw into an LS then they shoulde go that route. You need to think things through, what do you want the car to do. Weekend cruiser, dragstrip queen or high tech monster? Ive thrown lots of money into my cars and look at what happens, eventually a Mustang or Camaro with a V-6 comes out with more horsepower and better gas mileage.

Quick Reply: 383 crate vs LS motor