Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shock Absorbers

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 12:14 PM
noonie
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I like the Konis because they are not gas charged like all the others.
They work the same in all positions and almost all are also rebuildable.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:53 PM
Marlin
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The big 3 that always come up when someone ask about shocks is…

Monroe Sensa-Trac: Good OEM style shock. Factory type ride, cheap, and can get them at Autozone and many other parts houses with a warranty.

KYB Gas-A-Just: More firm than Factory/Monroe shocks but not autocross/racing firm. Good mid-level between a very firm and factory shock. Price is generally a little higher than than Monroe but less than sportier models.

Bilstein sport: This is the one many will recommend. It is very firm and is recommended if you go to a composite rear spring. Cost is usually about double to triple that of a KYB/Monroe shock.

Those are the big 3. If anybody has something to add that be great but this is what I have noticed.

Koni is another shock that pops up from time to time. I don’t see enough about them to say where they would fall, price level, and/or if they work ok with a composite rear spring. I’ll let the Koni fans chime in on that.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:20 AM
tonyost
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve's '73
I just recently replaced my Monroe Sensa-trac shocks with Bilstein Sport shocks and there is no comparison in the ride quality. I had to replace the Monroes 4 times in 11 years, free because of the warranty, but still a pain. The quality of the Monroes is so bad that the manager of O'Reilly gave me a full refund after 11 years and 4 exchanges, which I used to buy the Bilsteins. If I had to do all over again I would have never bought the Monroes. If you can afford it, get the Bilstein Shocks. I bought the set from Ecklers for $254 (15% sale), just wait till they have a sale.

Hi there i have C5, Would you used a H/D bilstein or sport ones thanks
Old 02-16-2012, 02:01 PM
Steve's '73
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tonyost
Hi there i have C5, Would you used a H/D bilstein or sport ones thanks
Tonyost, I would repost your question in the C5 forum for a more informed opinion from other C5 owners who have done the swap. I don't like to speak on something I haven't done myself.

That said, based on my research prior to buying the HD vs. the sport, I would go with the sport. Per Bilstein, the sports are designed for "precision handling and optimized vehicle control"; thus, they are a bit stiffer. Bilstein also states the sports are designed for "performance minded drivers", whereas HD are designed for improved handling over stock, while mainting ride comfort. Bottom line, do you want your car to be more comfortable or handle better? Therein lies your answer

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...ein-sport.html

Quick Reply: Shock Absorbers