Sponsored by:

A little LS burnout

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 08:56 AM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Default A little LS burnout

No not what you are thinking. No tire smoke yet on my project. I have been working so much on it then went away for a week and just can't get back into it. Just a little burned out on it. Some personal things going on also.

So to get back on track I promised another forum member I would do the auto to 5 speed swap this winter for him. I contacted him and he is bringing the car to me Saturday. It is a Keisler RS trans so I will document some of the swap here so you can see. I think he got the hydraulic clutch setup with it also. My wife is traveling next week so I have plenty of time to do this. Problem is no steering column in my car as of now and I have to move it to the other side of the garage. Jsut got the steering column back out and will throw it in today and push the LS project aside for a week or so. I need to order some parts and get a new driveshaft made for mine so it will give it some time for parts to arrive.

Just thought it might be interesting for a little change of pace.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:18 AM
larryg3
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Gordon, I can not wait to read the write up of the swap. As for your LS project I hope you get inspired to finish it soon. I too have had little motivation my self I ordered my interior for my '81 from al knoch in Nov. I got it all in in early december and I still have not even touched the car to many family health issues. good luck with the auto to 5 spd swap.
Old 02-17-2012, 04:15 PM
riggs 74
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Gordonm, I know what you're saying, I was burnt out at one point. To do the swaps in a tasteful way that looks and performs fantastic, it takes time, money and patients, and once you've completed something, you see a better way, only to tear back into it and change what you have already completed. I hate to see you getting burned out on the LS swap because you have kept me motivated to finish mine. I'm am close to finishing mine, but it seems to drag on longer and longer. For me, like you, we aren't going to be happy just swapping in a motor with out going above and beyond to make the end result as good or better than we anticipated the finished product to be.

I hope you regain momentum on the LS project after you have taken care of the things that you need to take care of. Just think, the LS is going to be a blast to drive this Spring/summer.

Riggs.
Old 02-17-2012, 05:19 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Originally Posted by riggs 74
I hope you regain momentum on the LS project after you have taken care of the things that you need to take care of. Just think, the LS is going to be a blast to drive this Spring/summer.
Riggs.
Yes that is what is going to keep me motivated. Probably only be off of it for a week or so then back onto it. It just does not look like anything is getting done on it. I want to get something done so this auto to 5 speed swap will get me back going. I'll be ordering some more parts this week and just went to a local driveshaft company to have my shaft made up so it is not a total waste of time. Give me a week or so and I'll be back on it.
Old 02-17-2012, 05:38 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Keep the faith. It can get discouraging at times! My level of effort is about 5% of yours and even then I have moments when I feel like "take this job and shove it". So hang in there.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:48 PM
mffi115
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Morale booster

Man, I know what you guys are saying!!! It's good to know that I'm not the only one. Sometimes I think I'm taking two steps back to one step forward....but it's getting there. Let's coordinate a date/time to tip a brew at the same time, take a breath, and admire our projects. After all, they wouldn't be where they are if we hadn't taken them that far.
Old 02-18-2012, 03:01 AM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Received 391 Likes on 237 Posts

Good to know as well, every week it seems 1 step forward, 2 steps back for me.

Hang in there guys!
Old 02-18-2012, 04:24 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Ha, replacing the turn signal pivot made me nearly burn the 78 to the ground. I can't imagine rewiring a 40 year old harness to accept a motor design from just a couple years ago.

Find some solace in that you'll have one of the cleanest swaps ever - probably cleaner than quite a few professional TEAMS of installers.
Old 02-18-2012, 05:24 PM
Lupigiato
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

A change of pace may give you the 2nd wind you are looking for to dive back in and complete the swap out.
Old 02-18-2012, 06:44 PM
Hadez
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It was the first time in 3 weeks I worked on my ride since coming back from Kissimee NCRS & Mecum. Still need to wash it and refit the windows I but I got a lot done today and then noticed the rear caliper bleeder screws are also in the wrong position on the bottom so air will never completely bleed all the way out How the hell the shop here in South Florida noticed the C5 front calipers had bleeder screws on the bottom when it came back from the shop that did all the work on my ride but then totally miss the rear calipers need some TLC also is beyond me. Looks like I will be bleeding the rear brakes soon again to get the last bit of air out of the system.

Only a few more turns of the wrenches I keep telling myself also but almost every time I do I find something that needs to be reversed engineered. So discouraging but keep up the good work on your ride. I can't wait to see yours done and I really like your valve covers.
Old 02-18-2012, 06:53 PM
rebelee08
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shark Racer
Ha, replacing the turn signal pivot made me nearly burn the 78 to the ground. I can't imagine rewiring a 40 year old harness to accept a motor design from just a couple years ago.

Find some solace in that you'll have one of the cleanest swaps ever - probably cleaner than quite a few professional TEAMS of installers.
The comment "made me nearly burn the 78 to the ground" sorry but that made me laugh out loud!!
Old 02-18-2012, 07:26 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 234 Likes on 143 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

Chin up Gordon, sometimes a little break from the work is good for the mind and body. You'll get your mojo back buddy!!!!
Old 02-18-2012, 08:42 PM
Slotehog
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

G,

Sorry to hear about the burnt out LS feelings but happier than a pig in **** that you are swapping my trans!

I'm confident once the trans is in and you see how happy I am with it, you will get the motivation to finish your LS swap.

Thanks again!!

Andy
Old 02-28-2012, 12:05 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Starting to get the fever back on the LS swap. I am almost done with the RS conversion for the above forum member and am anxious to get back to the LS swap. Just needed a little break on something different. The RS 5 speed conversion went well. Just waiting for a few small steering column parts now and it should be ready to roll.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:23 PM
Lupigiato
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordonm
Starting to get the fever back on the LS swap. I am almost done with the RS conversion for the above forum member and am anxious to get back to the LS swap. Just needed a little break on something different. The RS 5 speed conversion went well. Just waiting for a few small steering column parts now and it should be ready to roll.
Gordon, your work so far is a masterpiece - I'm glad I finally got to see it in person Saturday! Let me know when/if you need another break and I'll be happy to bring the 68 over for the PS install
Old 02-28-2012, 01:08 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Originally Posted by Lupigiato73
Gordon, your work so far is a masterpiece - I'm glad I finally got to see it in person Saturday! Let me know when/if you need another break and I'll be happy to bring the 68 over for the PS install
When I'm done with the 5 speed and mine is at least running you can bring yours out. It should not take that long. Maybe a couple of hours. I'll let you know when we can do this.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:20 PM
ptroxx
Race Director

Location: Henderson Nv-Rohnert Park/Sonoma C o. ca/born in NY Rockaway Beach.
Received 544 Likes on 384 Posts

If I was closer Gordon you can do my BTO OD swap to help you get the fever back... =)
Or maybe a trip to cali is in order to help the fever ..LOL

Good luck with the swap..

Get notified of new replies

To A little LS burnout

Quick Reply: A little LS burnout