Sponsored by:

Help with Alternator Plug

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 10:36 PM
JP_80
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Alternator Plug

I got a new one-wire alternator. I know were the single red wire goes but what about the plug with the two wires (red and Brown)? The new alternator has a plug but it is different. I looked over the wiring diagram but couldn't figure out what the "Engine Comp. LT & SW." is. Does anyone know what it is. Can I find an adapter plug and splice into the wires?
Old 03-21-2012, 11:37 PM
Steve2147
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you got a one wire alternator, you only use one wire. That's why the alt plug receptacle doesn't match your harness.

Why do you want to go to a one wire alt? They are not as accurate at voltage regulation and they rely on residual magnetism for self-excitation. If they sit unused for an extended period of time they can loose that residual magnetism and require "jumping" to get them to charge again. They are typically used by people that do not know how or do not want to spend the time to wire the alternator properly. Farmers will often put them on old tractors. However, it sounds like your wiring is intact and could just use a proper alternator.

Steve g

Quick Reply: Help with Alternator Plug