C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone created a iPhone/iPod docking station mod for a c3?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 12:44 AM
myoriginal77
Drifting

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Hello,
Nice work on the overhead mounting, looks great.

I'm working on trying to mount an ipad to replace my gauges, I will blutooth the info from the diagnostic port ( I have an LS1 ) to the ipad is the plan but I haven't come up a way yet.

Any ideas would be appreciated,

sorry for the hijack,

Frank
Old 04-21-2012, 01:27 AM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by myoriginal77
Hello,
Nice work on the overhead mounting, looks great.

I'm working on trying to mount an ipad to replace my gauges, I will blutooth the info from the diagnostic port ( I have an LS1 ) to the ipad is the plan but I haven't come up a way yet.

Any ideas would be appreciated,

sorry for the hijack,

Frank
already thought of this.... I was at Sema last year and there was a company that made transponder units for everything...oil, fuel speed rpm... everything, they hooked together and would send a signal bluetooth to a ipad or iphone with multiple screens... cool.
Old 04-21-2012, 01:30 AM
74Ken
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 76 Posts

Brent, that looks amazing.
You don't happen to have any pics of the unit without the phone in it...and even what it looks like from below?
Old 04-21-2012, 08:38 AM
MikeKey
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm also curious what APP you're using for the speedo.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:31 AM
Mewn
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

Here is my iPad 2 setup, I would be very interested in the bluetooth sending unit information, if anyone has a link?

Old 04-21-2012, 10:21 AM
Dose11
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by brent319
That is what I did. The ashtray just unscrewed from the plate and then I made a fiberglass mount which screws into the existing holes. The iPod can sync over wifi, so I won't have to take it out. I may replace it with my old iPhone when the car gets running if i decide I want GPS and stuff on it.

That looks good...do you have any better pictures so we can really see it!
Old 04-21-2012, 01:57 PM
74Ken
Burning Brakes

I just checked, my iPhone 4 would not fit in my ash tray compartment laying down, it's too wide. I would have to cut the entire section of the panel out to get it in there.

I also have an otterbox and would not want to take off to put the phone in the car. I think I have to go back to my original idea of cutting out the botton of the ash tray and standing up the phone in a docking station. That way I could close the door when it is not there and nobody would see the dock.

Or I could go with the same style of mount as Pauldana. I see them on e-bay for 30.00 for the 4/4s.
Old 04-21-2012, 02:14 PM
brent319
Drifting

Received 253 Likes on 139 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C3 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Sorry I don't have any better photos of what I did. I may have not stated that very well, however. I think you are more looking for a "dock" kind of solution. Mine is mounted in there from underneath and can not just be pulled out without taking the top plate off.
Seems like everyone is getting an iPhone or a Droid these days and so iPods are cheap on CL, so I just went out and got a 32gig for about $90 and stuck it in there.
I could have made it so the door covered the iPod, but then the screen would have had to be recessed and not flush. When it is off, you really don't even notice that it is an ipod so I was not going to worry about it.
There are a few wifi options out there for hooking into the OBDII port. I remember Kiwi WiFi was one of them, but a google search will find more:
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=wifi+obd+iphone
-brent
Old 04-21-2012, 02:33 PM
74Ken
Burning Brakes

I see what you mean, how would you add more music to the ipod? You would have to remove the plate and pull the ipod out from the bottom, update it and then re-install it?

It looks so slick.

Last edited by 74Ken; 04-21-2012 at 02:36 PM.
Old 04-21-2012, 03:18 PM
brent319
Drifting

Received 253 Likes on 139 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C3 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by 74Ken
I see what you mean, how would you add more music to the ipod? You would have to remove the plate and pull the ipod out from the bottom, update it and then re-install it?

It looks so slick.
I _should_ be able to sync it over the wifi when the car is in the garage. That is the plan anyway. Also, I am an old fart so for me all of the good music has already been recorded years ago and if I load a few thousand songs on it to start, I won't really be adding much of anything anyway.
I have not had my car done yet so I am not really even sure how much I will listen to music but I thought it looked cool if nothing else.
Old 04-21-2012, 03:26 PM
Dose11
Drifting

Originally Posted by 74Ken
I just checked, my iPhone 4 would not fit in my ash tray compartment laying down, it's too wide. I would have to cut the entire section of the panel out to get it in there.

I also have an otterbox and would not want to take off to put the phone in the car. I think I have to go back to my original idea of cutting out the botton of the ash tray and standing up the phone in a docking station. That way I could close the door when it is not there and nobody would see the dock.

Or I could go with the same style of mount as Pauldana. I see them on e-bay for 30.00 for the 4/4s.
Hey, what about an ipod nano...that would be really easy!
Old 04-21-2012, 04:21 PM
74Ken
Burning Brakes

a NANO?

I might as well be driving a chevette.....lol

Just kidding, my kids have one lying around so that might work
Old 04-21-2012, 04:38 PM
Dose11
Drifting

LoL
Old 04-23-2012, 07:58 AM
Stroh
Drifting

Received 269 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by brent319
That is what I did. The ashtray just unscrewed from the plate and then I made a fiberglass mount which screws into the existing holes. The iPod can sync over wifi, so I won't have to take it out. I may replace it with my old iPhone when the car gets running if i decide I want GPS and stuff on it.

Very cool! (Dig the SRV, too)
Old 04-23-2012, 08:04 AM
Stroh
Drifting

Here's my little mod: I put the Retrosound radio with aux jack in and gutted the ashtray for the charging docks. It was easy enough to cut the bottom of the tray out and fasten the charger with a couple short screws.

It's not as slick as the Ipod under the door, but it serves my purposes nicely. Any song in the world just a short chord and a click away.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:42 AM
Dose11
Drifting

Where are the white chords going to?

Also wondering...does your retrosound radio not have the USB ports in the back?

No knocking what you did...but wondering if it does in fact have the usb port...why didn't you run the ipod connector through the ashtray as well?

But if it does not have the USB...then well...I already know why lol.

P.S...That interior is pretty slick
Old 04-23-2012, 09:01 AM
riverracer au
Melting Slicks

Received 295 Likes on 179 Posts

i'll play this game as well.....
i dont have a radio in my '72 at the moment, so i bought a small amp (not much bigger than a cigarette packet) from fleabay bout 15$.
i sat it on the tunnel in behind where the radio goes, wired into the switched radio power leads.
i then plug my samsung smart phone in for tunes, it works well when not plugged in for charging!
as soon as i plug the charger into the ciggie lighter socket, i get engine whine thru the speakers, unplug it and it goes back to normal...
have even pulled a charger apart and wired it to the same power as the amp, no change, as soon as i plug into the phone, i get whine.

any ideas?
does anybody else have this type of noise problem with their ipod/phone/mp3 and how did you fix it?

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone created a iPhone/iPod docking station mod for a c3?

Old 04-23-2012, 09:03 AM
Stroh
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dose11
Where are the white chords going to?
I just tucked it into the pocket to get it out of the way at that moment. I shoulda made something up, flux capaciter or something.

[QUOTE=Also wondering...does your retrosound radio not have the USB ports in the back?[/QUOTE]

YES it does.

[QUOTE=No knocking what you did...but wondering if it does in fact have the usb port...why didn't you run the ipod connector through the ashtray as well? [/QUOTE]

Just didn't think of it. WHen I need to charge it, I'll just plug 'er in.

[QUOTE=P.S...That interior is pretty slick[/QUOTE]

Thanks much.

Last edited by Stroh; 04-23-2012 at 09:05 AM.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:10 AM
Stroh
Drifting

Originally Posted by riverracer au
i'll play this game as well.....

have even pulled a charger apart and wired it to the same power as the amp, no change, as soon as i plug into the phone, i get whine.

any ideas?
does anybody else have this type of noise problem with their ipod/phone/mp3 and how did you fix it?
I get a slight whine from my amps too... It may just be that getting a good ground in a fiberglass car is a little tough... Dunno for sure.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:25 AM
Dose11
Drifting

Originally Posted by Stroh
Just didn't think of it. WHen I need to charge it, I'll just plug 'er in.
That wasn't exactly my point. My point was...if you had the USB going through the ashtray or somewhere, then you wouldn't need the aux chord right?

Quick Reply: Anyone created a iPhone/iPod docking station mod for a c3?