Sponsored by:

'69 T&T column Turn Signal Switch mounting screws

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 10:22 AM
94hokies
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default '69 T&T column Turn Signal Switch mounting screws

Disassembled the steering column a couple years ago to work on the shafts and replace the turn signal switch. Finally bought the parts now and putting things back together and have found everything except the turn signal mounting screws.
Found a set at Zip (SC-645 68-82 Turn Signal Switch Screws) but they do not fit in the mounting holes of the turn signal cover. Appreciate it if anyone can post up a pic of what the screws are supposed to look like, of the turn signal switch mounted in a T&T column or that have the specs on the mounting screws.

Thanks...
Old 04-21-2012, 11:36 AM
jon68l79
Supporting Lifetime Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just bought a rebuilt T/T steering column for my '69. You're welcome to come look at it if you like. Not yet mounted so should be easy.

I'm right up Milltown Road in Lovettsville , so very close to you.

Give me a call if you like 703-926-4775.

Jon

ps. Go Hokies!
Old 04-21-2012, 01:28 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

How close to fitting are those Zip turn signal switch screws? There appears to be a three different screws that were used during the 1969 production run. What the differences are - I do not know. The last screws that were introduced late in the 1969 model year were then used through 1982.

First of all, are the threads on the screws close to fitting the housing? You should be able to at least try threading the screws into the TS switch housing.

Do the screws fit the holes in the TS switch? I would think that the screws must be close enough that only a "kiss" to enlarge the TS switch holes would allow them to fit.

I have just found the part number for the three late 1969 through 1982 TS switch screws. The part number is 7809128 and they are still available through GM dealers. However, I suspect that these GM screws are probably what you just purchased from Zip.

Whatever you do, don't screw up the TS switch housing. Finding a replacement for that part will be difficult and very expensive.
Jim

Last edited by Jim Shea; 04-21-2012 at 01:54 PM.
Old 04-21-2012, 02:14 PM
94hokies
Instructor

The switch seems to only fit in one way, but just to be 100% sure I'm one the mark, the pencil is pointing to one of the three holes in the housing that I am trying to use:

The screw fits into the switch easily:

The screws will not even begin to thread into the housing, at first looking like they may potentially be too large. However, looking the holes in the housing, I'm more worried that they may have run across bubba at some point in their lives. It does not look like there are threads in the holes to screw into:

I know seems like a stupid question, but these holes should be threaded, right?
Old 04-21-2012, 05:05 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

If you can wait until Monday, I will call an engineer at Nexteer (Saginaw Steering) who might remember about different screws early in the Gen II locking, tilt steering column program. Of course we are talking about 43 years ago.
Jim
Old 04-21-2012, 05:25 PM
94hokies
Instructor

No problem waiting, I'm flying out of town in the morning for the week. We can take a look at Jon's old one when it comes out as well. Nice to find out there is another '69 ten minutes away.

Get notified of new replies

To '69 T&T column Turn Signal Switch mounting screws

Quick Reply: '69 T&T column Turn Signal Switch mounting screws