Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hey guys! Can ya help a girl out?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 11:27 AM
desue
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Hey guys! Can ya help a girl out?

I've been doing some looking around and research on what exactly I want. Though I think all C3 vettes are awesome, I am leaning more toward 77 and under (straight back glass). Then what kind of issues will I have getting one before emissions control/unleaded gas came into play? (Was that around 74?) So I haven't really done all my homework! Its just easier asking people who already know! It seems that the late 60's to early 70's models are much pricier than mid 70's and up. So I guess my questions are: 1. What should I look for/avoid? I know rust/frame damage. Are there any certain years that give more problems or parts higher for? 2. Whats a reasonable price to give for one? I've noticed a huge range of prices! I'm NOT looking for show car/numbers matching etc. What I am looking for is something mechanically and structurally sound. Something I wont have to put thousand of dollars worth of repairs into right off the bat. So how 'bout it? Any advice will be appreciated! Thanks for helping me make a dream come true!
Old 04-22-2012, 11:57 AM
jesse giere
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love my 77'. Cheap parts and easy to fix if anything does go wrong. I picked mine up for $10,ooo it had 85,000 miles on it. all new interior. a interior kit costs start at about $3,500 if you get one that needs inside work done on it. it had all moving parts underneith changed. again, that kit costs around $3,000 aswell.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:17 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

you need to look at many corvettes before you buy anything and you need to do your own research on these cars....they are money pits and a poor decision now will cost you thousands later. due diligence is required here these are not honda civics.... buy the best car you can afford skimping with the purchase to begin with is never cost effective
Old 04-22-2012, 12:21 PM
dbeall1968
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since you are not looking for show quality, matching numbers, your options are wide open. I have seen many late C-3s go for 10 grand or less, but beware of buying the cheapest- you may get what you pay for. Make sure the frame/birdcage is healthy- no rust issues. An engine can be changed relatively easily, and small blocks are a dime a dozen if you don't care about numbers. Body work will get expensive, so get one that is straight and not needing paint, if possible. Parts for these cars are readily available, so that is not a consideration (unless it is a 68!).
Get one you like, and make it yours!
Take your time and watch for one you want. Time is on your side!
Old 04-22-2012, 12:22 PM
Dose11
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Start here
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-g...ide+buying+c3s

Then some others will post some books that you should pick up

Then some more will comment and give a couple of tips...

I'm just passing by
Old 04-22-2012, 01:15 PM
JimT
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Desue,
I'm not sure how close you are to Maggie Valley Tenn., but during Memorial Day weekend, there is a "Vettes in the Valley" (vettes only)car show. Should be 200 to 300 vettes - it would be a great place to look at vettes, talk to owners, and there are usually vettes for sale, too. Check out their website - search for "vettes in the valley".
Just a thought.
Old 04-22-2012, 01:45 PM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

76 and 77 are the least expensive to buy and for parts, good daily driver's 6-7,000,even less, cash talks, if they claim rebuilt mechanical's , make sure to see the receipts. buy from a southwestern part of the country, you wont have to listen to ,
'it doesnt have"much" rust', if you're not mechanical, find a good friend who is and take them with you. They dont need to be corvette experts , just good mechanics. With the exception of a few parts , these are 2 seat chevy's. They are easily and cheaply upgraded, you can buy and install C5 seats 'very comfortable' for 3-400 bucks
the more complete they are the less you will have to spend after you buy it,
if its missing parts, the person selling it couldnt find them or couldnt afford them , you may not be able to either
dont buy a 'project', in the years you are looking for , they are still complete and reasonably priced
hope this helps.
just got my 76 using that thinking, I'm a mechanic though, very happy with it, all I wanted was a daily driver also.

Last edited by oldalaskaman; 04-22-2012 at 01:49 PM.
Old 04-22-2012, 03:20 PM
desue
Pro

Originally Posted by JimT
Desue,
I'm not sure how close you are to Maggie Valley Tenn., but during Memorial Day weekend, there is a "Vettes in the Valley" (vettes only)car show. Should be 200 to 300 vettes - it would be a great place to look at vettes, talk to owners, and there are usually vettes for sale, too. Check out their website - search for "vettes in the valley".
Just a thought.
I looked this up. Its about 6 hours away from me, but looks like it'd be worth the drive. Any one know of any shows near western ky?
Old 04-22-2012, 03:31 PM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3s-...egotiable.html
i didnt realize you had already seen that one

Last edited by oldalaskaman; 04-22-2012 at 03:34 PM.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:41 PM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Any C3 Vette 1971 or later is built to run unleaded. You should see if there are any Corvette clubs in your area and attend an event or meeting. You would probably be better off starting there as there may be a good local car for sale that is not advertised.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:00 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

Welcome to the forum and good luck in your search to adopt a C3......this ain't no puppy.....hope you have researched enough to know what your getting into.....

Great advice and direction so far... I would add, emissions depends on how strict they are in your area...if you were in California then it would be a different story......I guess we all run the risk of not being able to get our babies on the streets if Al Gore and his hyper green machine ever gets what they want.
Other wise you NEED to find someone in your area that will help you evaluate any potential buy......if its not local.....then go look at it.....if you can't go look at it, or get someone to, then PASS.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:38 PM
Mooser
Race Director

Received 3,139 Likes on 2,070 Posts

I stumbled across a site with a checklist of things to look for when buying a vette, from a mechanical standpoint. A little to specific at this point maybe.

http://www.corvettefaq.com/c3/dpg/part1.htm
http://www.corvettefaq.com/c3/dpg/part2.htm
http://www.corvettefaq.com/c3/dpg/part3.htm

Keeping in mind it's a wiki, there are some fairly decent info there

Vansteel is mentioned but I think only for facilities (maybe)
Mooser
Old 04-22-2012, 08:55 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by desue
So I haven't really done all my homework! Its just easier asking people who already know!
Oh oh. Please think twice about this.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:02 AM
desue
Pro

Originally Posted by Mike Ward
Oh oh. Please think twice about this.
So what are you saying? Opinions are like earholes, everybody's got one? or two
Old 04-23-2012, 01:32 AM
desue
Pro

Originally Posted by 73Corvette
Welcome to the forum and good luck in your search to adopt a C3......this ain't no puppy.....hope you have researched enough to know what your getting into.....

Great advice and direction so far... I would add, emissions depends on how strict they are in your area...if you were in California then it would be a different story......I guess we all run the risk of not being able to get our babies on the streets if Al Gore and his hyper green machine ever gets what they want.
Other wise you NEED to find someone in your area that will help you evaluate any potential buy......if its not local.....then go look at it.....if you can't go look at it, or get someone to, then PASS.
thanks! yes I realize it ain't no puppy! Thats funny thou.I also know it ain't worth having if it comes easy. (I'm sure alot of people would disagree) I still got a ways to go, I'm not gonna rush out tomorrow and buy one. Tempting yess! Theres no emissions control in Ky. I hear california is a pain about it thou. Maybe we have too many big green tractors and air-polluting farm machinery for them to worry about.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:58 AM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

Hey Desue.......more advice.
1- buy as highly as optioned car as you can.. it will tend to cost a bit more but will also hold it's value better.
things to look for are, heck here is the options list and numbers...

RPO# DESCRIPTION QUANTITY
1YZ37 Base Corvette Sport Coupe 49,213
A31 Power Windows 44,331
B32 Color Keyed Floor Mats 36,763
C49 Rear Window Defogger 30,411
C60 Air Conditioning 45,249
D35 Sport Mirrors 20,206
FE7 Gymkhana Suspension 7,269
G95 Optional Rear Axle Ratio 972
K30 Speed Control 29,161
L82 350ci, 210hp Engine 6,148
M21 4-Speed Manual Transmission, close ratio 2,060 0
M40 Turbo Hydra-Matic Automatic Transmission 41,231 0

N37 Tilt-Telescopic Steering Column 46,487
QRZ GR70x15 White Letter Steel Belted Tires 46,227
UA1 Heavy Duty Battery 32,882
U58 AM-FM Stereo Radio 18,483
U69 AM-FM Radio 4,700
UM2 AM-FM Stereo Radio with 8-Track 24,603

YJ8 Aluminum Wheels 12,646
ZN1 Trailer Package 289
ZX2 Convenience Group 40,872

Obvious I know but, look for the best car for the least money...... a low mile car if it hasn't just sat without being driven for years has some advantages, but the ones that just sat... will have some problems with brakes and seals.

Brakes seem to be a common problem area as is ground related electrical issues. Vacum leaks. Heat in the cabin..... In Kentucky I would think nice working A/C would be a plus.....
Most of the cars if in good to excellent condition mechanically will do fine if your not ******* it all the time and do regular maintanence (I never spell that right)
I think the 4spd is the better option and less expensive to fix or replace, well, it's usually the clutch anyway not the transmission.
If it doesn't have the original motor and was replaced with a non-stock engine with all the racing parts....beware of how it may have been driven. But the upside is race parts are made for racing....they are supposed to be better parts.
Carbs and ignition are two areas that can be trouble some but are pretty easy to upgrade to more reliable and trouble free replacements such as Holley Carbs and Electronic ignitions.
Too much info? Just pic and choose.....sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders....take your time like you said and you'll do fine....Good luck and have fun on your Quest to fulfill your dream.

Last edited by 73Corvette; 04-23-2012 at 02:12 AM.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:09 AM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

It hit me over the weekend how lucky I am that I can do my own wreching otherwise I could not own a C3,
I bought my 69 convertible in dec 09 and while I have used it as a daily driver it not really a daily driver, that didnt make sense did it,
It's hot, crampled noisy, leaks, wants to run hot in florida traffic, no AC ( yet ) but I drive it anyway.
Oops, got side tracked, so being a 69 that was not mantained I started rebuilding the suspension, the front will be back together tomorrow,
for fun when we started on it we called around,
Shops in Orlando start at 1100.00 for labor ( not including parts ) for basic front end rebuild, not touching power steering,
The rear...Lol one shop told me "most" c3's they do have 5-8 hours labor per side at 70 an hour labor,
My point is I could never afford the c3 if I didnt work on it myself...I am guessing others here are in that same boat.....

Get notified of new replies

To Hey guys! Can ya help a girl out?

Old 04-23-2012, 06:50 AM
jlsru
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by JimT
Desue,
Just a thought.

I received an e-mail from the show promoter saying that this show
has been canceled for 2012. What a shame it was one of my favorites.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:03 AM
JimT
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Vettes in the valley cancelled, what a shame. It was one of my favorites too. I realized they were having a problem with the ticket prices, because in the past several years the non-judging parking area was getting as large as the higher priced judging parking areas. I think last year general vette only parking was $10 and entry into the judged area was $45. Oh well, guess I'll have to find another show.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:11 AM
desue
Pro

@73Corvette: Thanks a bunch in supporting me!
I often feel very unwanted in this male dominated world of cars. Boys, us girls are not just sexy hood ornaments!! Thats really degrading. Would like to see more sexy guys as hood ornaments!! I lack the mechanical knowledge, not because lack of interest, because lack of opportunity. Thats not gonna stop me from having what I want. I'll compare this to my old house. Built in the 30's I'm guessing, it needed EVERYTHING remodeled. IT's a huge money pit. I don't know a thing about electricity/wiring plumbing etc but that didn't stop me from getting the house and making it my own. And I've done some of the work myself, refinished 3 hard wood floors, torn out walls and helped put sheetrock up, etc etc. like i've said before- if it comes too easy, then it ain't worth having! There's no sense of pride in that is there? So guys, give me break here! Just curious, do guys feel women are intruding on their "man" territory if a woman is interested in cars? Other than being a stupid slutty hood ornament? Any other gals out there, I'd like to hear from ya!
Oh, thanks for the option codes, I actually already got the "black book" but need to find some other good reads. Gotta look for the buyers guide soon. Thanks to all again!

Quick Reply: Hey guys! Can ya help a girl out?