Sponsored by:

1st purchase, what do i ask?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 10:52 PM
corzatrr
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st purchase, what do i ask?

I figured I should ask the community of pros. I'm looking to purchase my first Vette (68-70). I've bought many cars over the years and know what to ask and what sets off the alarm bells.

With a classic car like the vette I really don't know what sort of questions I should be asking. I know I should ask for vehicle history, check to confirm the engine and tranny is original, check allignment of grills to ensure no previous accident repairs.

any other helpful pointers?
Old 05-30-2012, 11:22 PM
CQRT
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 295 Likes on 237 Posts

It's a frequently asked question and you can either use the "search" function for the forum or simply scroll through the pages to read questions about "what do I look for" or "new Vette owner" . . .I'm not trying to duck your question, just think you can learn an awful lot more quickly if you read through the posts already here.

And if you get serious about one, why not put your city in your profile and ask for a forum member to go with you to assess the car - - might cost you a 12 pack, but money well spent.

Good luck-
Old 05-31-2012, 08:48 AM
Jasonb86
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depending on what you're going for, I'd look for originality as much as possible, and buy the nicest car you can afford. I bought a '70 with several aftermarket pieces (intake, carb, headlights) that needed an interior refresh, and it has been a LOT more work and $ than I would have expected to get it fixed and put back to original. There's something about a lower-mileage car that makes a big difference, or one that's gone through a recent restoration (by someone who knows what they're doing!).

Also, be sure to know the differences between the three years. There are many between '68-'70 and it seems like a lot of these parts get mixed up and lost over the years. And replacing them piecemeal on eBay could be a very $$ and time-consuming proposition.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:48 AM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

ask if you're goin to have to fix anything.....right away.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:21 PM
Dose11
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by oldalaskaman

That is the first thing that I ask! "What needs to be fixed, what needs to be done, what have you done, what have you wanted to do that not has been done"?
Old 05-31-2012, 12:30 PM
Jedi926
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by oldalaskaman
Originally Posted by Dose11

That is the first thing that I ask! "What needs to be fixed, what needs to be done, what have you done, what have you wanted to do that not has been done"?
Good start right there. I would politely ask for any supporting documents for any claims of what has been done also, just my .02

Good luck.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:55 PM
Stroh
Drifting

Received 269 Likes on 152 Posts

I would ask if the owner minds you taking off the kick plates at the outside foot of the driver and passenger to check where the cage meets the frame / body mounts to check for rust. If there is a lot of rust there, there is likely a lot of rust elsewhere... If that is the case, don't walk... run away.
Old 05-31-2012, 05:40 PM
corvetteload
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Question asked should be "How much per hour does the therapist charge!!!"
Old 06-01-2012, 10:02 AM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 264 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17, '19

Rust is a big one as a few have mentioned, but it also good to know how it was driven before.

If the PO won't give you specifics, consider the condition of the parts in hidden places and how the interior looks. If things that are not easily visible are not well taken care of, then I would assume that the car itself wasn't carefully cared for. Obviously, take this with a grain of salt as it is still an old car. You have to decide if scratches, worn parts, and an aged interior are because of age or owner neglect.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:58 PM
24695bob
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a tough one.. you are talking about a car that is over 40 years old...and most likely more then a few things just do not work... only 4 of my Corvettes have parking brakes that work only 2 of them have radios that work (which is fine with me I dont drive an older Vette to listen to the radio) .. (the cars are all show winners btw) None of them have the heater hooked up so I would assume the heater cores would leak...

Tires may look great but who knows...I presently own 6 Corvettes and replace the tires on one car each spring so I actually have one car that has 6 year old tires on it ..and I may have put up to 12000 miles on those tires...I just do not trust driving on old tires and 6 year old tires are OLD...

I BUY Cosmetics.. I can wrench with the best of them and I found that doing the necessary mechanical work is a lot cheaper then doing the cosmetic work (interiors paint etc)

Bob G.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:19 PM
BBCorv70
Melting Slicks

Received 107 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by corzatrr
I know I should ask for vehicle history, check to confirm the engine and tranny is original, check allignment of grills to ensure no previous accident repairs.

any other helpful pointers?
How are you going to know if the engine is original? Seller says so? Matching numbers? Neither are reliable. If you're looking to buy a collectible Corvette, original drivetrain is important, read all you can on verifying originality. Look for casting numbers, date codes, as well as partial VINs on the block and transmission. Documentation in the form of the tank sheet, POP, or original invoice help verify the car was built with the engine type installed. If you're looking to buy a high dollar original, big block or LT1, going to spend big $$, best to have an expert look over the stamp pad, closest you'll get to verifying the engine is original.

Rust as others have stated is a huge issue. Often what you see is the tip of the iceberg, VERY expensive to repair, lots of labor involved.

Good luck with your search...

Get notified of new replies

To 1st purchase, what do i ask?

Quick Reply: 1st purchase, what do i ask?