Sponsored by:

Jacking up/ jack stands 1968 Vette

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 09:51 PM
aesacove
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jacking up/ jack stands 1968 Vette

Was wondering the best place to jack up a 68 Vette and the best place to put jack stands. I just this car and am new to these old Vettes and I'm paranoid about messing something up. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 05-31-2012, 10:51 PM
xCCTer
CF JASOC Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Downtown Annapolis, MD. The Future is where we all have to live. Let's not screw it up.
Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Here you go.
Attached Images   
The following users liked this post:
Primoz (12-29-2021)
Old 05-31-2012, 11:37 PM
aesacove
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Much thanks

Thanks so much, very helpful !
Old 06-01-2012, 01:02 AM
JohnRR
Burning Brakes

Received 279 Likes on 187 Posts

The frame is not as strong as it looks. Especially the curved part that goes between the two front wheels.
I always use a piece of wood between the floor jack and a strong part of the frame to try and spread out the load a little.

There is a wealth of information on this forum. So read, read, read!

John
Old 06-01-2012, 09:08 AM
jnb5101
Le Mans Master

Received 100 Likes on 92 Posts

while xccter does have the gm recommedations, after 40 years of abuse and rust i (my person opinion here) wouldn't jack the car at those points. i tried to jack my car at the rear area once (at the rear of the door) and i immediately developed a widening door gap from frame flex. i quickly stopped.
now when i jack my cars i raise each end separately. when lifting only the rear end, i start with a wooden block under the diffy, then place jacks under the rear gm lift points and also on the frame where the fuel tank crossmember attaches. that prevents the frame from distorting at the kick-up. when lifting the entire car, i start at the front with a block under the front crossmember (yeah, mine's dented) then place jacks and short pieces of 2x4 under at the very front of the frame, just short of where the frame extensions are bolted. you'll see that a 5 or 6 inch piece will fit nicely. then i raise the back. these are the same points as the suspension loads, so there is little change in forces on the frame.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:10 AM
xCCTer
CF JASOC Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Downtown Annapolis, MD. The Future is where we all have to live. Let's not screw it up.
Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

I always use a wooden puck with a pad of thick rubber when jacking, and just the rubber pads with jack stands for reasons previously mentioned.

I use ramps whenever possible.
Attached Images   
The following users liked this post:
Primoz (12-29-2021)
Old 12-03-2017, 04:54 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,178 Likes on 2,738 Posts

Originally Posted by aesacove
Was wondering the best place to jack up a 68 Vette and the best place to put jack stands. I just this car and am new to these old Vettes and I'm paranoid about messing something up. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Rookie here: I learned the hard way after 6 months on 4 jack stands. Another member explained that the frame was made for the/suspension to hold the car's weight constantly.

If you do not need to remove the wheels I would jack the car and put those ramps under the wheels. If you need the wheels removed I would put a stand under each lower A-arm closet to the wheel, and a stand under the rear suspension closest to each wheel (without bending/breaking lower shock mounts/etc.)

For safety purposes I definitely would also add a stand under each designated frame area contacting the frame just enough to hold the stand firmly in place.

Last edited by doorgunner; 12-03-2017 at 04:56 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Jacking up/ jack stands 1968 Vette

Quick Reply: Jacking up/ jack stands 1968 Vette