Sponsored by:

FleaBay Insanity - $510+ bolts !!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 09:02 AM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 264 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17, '19

What makes these bolts so expensive? The auction went for over 800.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:48 AM
Indiancreek
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by scottyp99
Ya know, it's guys like this, who have more money than brains, that artificially inflate the price of things, and make life more difficult for guys like us, who don't have a money tree growing in the backyard. Look at Barrett-Jackson, it's the reason you see rusty old station wagons in the classified ads for completely outrageous amounts of money. It's like if a guy brought his wife flowers every day; he's just making all of our lives more difficult, once your wife finds out about it.

Keep the shiny side up!:rock
Scott
That's funny
Old 07-15-2012, 12:02 PM
Roughrider
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

My '69 427/435 is all numbers matching and just about all correct. After seeing what those bolts went for I thought I might take the bolts from my car and put them on Ebay...replacement bolts from Corvette Central are like six bucks...I can't see how I could lose on the deal.

Yesterday I checked my car...the bolts aren't even there! The only thing holding down the air cleaner base is the wing nut on the top...which is really all it needs.

Maybe the seller of those bolts snuck in my garage and removed the ones from my car!
Old 07-15-2012, 01:33 PM
joewill
Safety Car

Received 262 Likes on 209 Posts

too bad ebay won't let you see the bidders anymore.. you could send a email to the runner up bidder, who bid 852$, if you had a set of these.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:52 PM
Gars
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

P. T. Barnum said it best.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:17 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 306 Posts

Completely without words

But I'm laughing my *** off
Old 07-17-2012, 06:36 PM
68EVetteL71
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Overpriced FB (That Must Stand for Something) Bolts

You're all a little off...the price of these bolts I mean! They actually sold on eBay for $850.00!!!!!

Several months ago, Roy Sinor, the National Judging Chairman for NCRS wrote an editorial wondering how to get more younger people involved in the corvette restoration hobby since the price of restoration to NCRS standards has gone through the roof (no pun intended).

Roy, if u are reading this, you need to re-define the meaning of ORIGINALITY to prevent the rip-off artists who sell NOS & OLD original parts at "skies the limit" prices from killing the hobby. Personally, I bought my '68 almost thirty years ago but could not afford to restore it for judging until last year when I got to the ripe old age of 70.
I would be embarrassed to tell you what I had to pay for some meaningless parts.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:17 PM
Roco71
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I noticed a lot of bolts on eBay this week with detailed photos.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:35 PM
Roughrider
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

If people refused to bid those kind of dollars the hobby wouldn't be so expensive. It only takes two bidders to drive the prices so high.

I guess it comes down to whether you're the seller or the buyer. If you're the seller you're loving life right now. If you're the buyer, you're setting the market price the rest of us can comment on how expensive the hobby has become.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:25 PM
Cobranut
Heel & Toe

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's likely why they're so rare. Back then eveyone got tired of taking out the extra bolts every time they touched the carbs, and most of them were thrown away.

Originally Posted by Roughrider
My '69 427/435 is all numbers matching and just about all correct. After seeing what those bolts went for I thought I might take the bolts from my car and put them on Ebay...replacement bolts from Corvette Central are like six bucks...I can't see how I could lose on the deal.

Yesterday I checked my car...the bolts aren't even there! The only thing holding down the air cleaner base is the wing nut on the top...which is really all it needs.

Maybe the seller of those bolts snuck in my garage and removed the ones from my car!
Old 07-18-2012, 09:12 AM
fredd1
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

The bidders all worked for DOD procurement. d8o)

BTW, I once saw an Idaho potato shaped like Richard Nixon sell for $164.00.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:27 AM
corvetteload
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by scottyp99
Not as much as those two little bolts.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/67-69-Corvet...sories&vxp=mtr

Keep the shiny side up!
Scott
Sorry, repro air cleaner, a true original is up there also, just like matching carbs. You either are in the game or just want to sit on the bench and watch.
I personally like the hunt for original parts, the years of searching for those elusive pieces, and once I get everything the thrill passes and the car sits unfinished for years. I then usually lose interest completely and sell all parts and vehicle, almost at that point with my 69.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:04 AM
Cobranut
Heel & Toe

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Actually, Richard Nixon did look a bit like a potato.

Originally Posted by fredd1
The bidders all worked for DOD procurement. d8o)

BTW, I once saw an Idaho potato shaped like Richard Nixon sell for $164.00.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:38 PM
rsinor
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 362 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by 68EVetteL71
You're all a little off...the price of these bolts I mean! They actually sold on eBay for $850.00!!!!!

Several months ago, Roy Sinor, the National Judging Chairman for NCRS wrote an editorial wondering how to get more younger people involved in the corvette restoration hobby since the price of restoration to NCRS standards has gone through the roof (no pun intended).

Roy, if u are reading this, you need to re-define the meaning of ORIGINALITY to prevent the rip-off artists who sell NOS & OLD original parts at "skies the limit" prices from killing the hobby. Personally, I bought my '68 almost thirty years ago but could not afford to restore it for judging until last year when I got to the ripe old age of 70.
I would be embarrassed to tell you what I had to pay for some meaningless parts.
It’s not Roy Sinor’s fault or NCRS’s fault that some individual decided to pay 800.00 plus dollars for two bolts that are worth maybe 2 points if you really stretch it out of 4500 on the judging field.

Human nature drives prices on everything not NCRS, although there are those of you that would like to think a small not for profit organization dedicated to the collector car hobby controls everything.

Quick Reply: FleaBay Insanity - $510+ bolts !!!