Sponsored by:

Door Lock Mechanism

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 12:23 PM
vido
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door Lock Mechanism

OK, I think I have a bad door lock mechanism (drivers side) that needs to be replaced. At the very least, I need to remove it, inspect it, and grease it. I spent about 2 hours yesterday trying to remove it from the door. I disconnected the lock **** rod, the rod that connects to the interior handle, and the rod that connects to the exterior handle, as well as removing the three screws that hold it in place. The mechanism was completly free and loose, I just couldn't get it out of the inside of the door. Is there a special trick that I'm missing??
Old 08-13-2012, 01:08 PM
jesse10886
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Would like to know this as well. I just got new electric door lock actuators. I had to because my current set are completely froze up. Haven't taken the old ones out yet.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:00 AM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Received 716 Likes on 464 Posts

A few years ago I had multiple problems with my door locks that included actuator replacement. I did not have to remove the mechanism but managed to loosen the rods up by cleaning and than lubricating.

See if this articles offers some help.

Door Lock Repair
Old 08-14-2012, 06:07 AM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

If you have all the rods disconnected you should be able to work the mechanism to the bottom of the door and remove it through the large hole there, I don't think it will come out of the upper holes. I just did this saturday, pass side came right out, I had to talk to the drivers side for a bit.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:19 PM
palmbeachvette76
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Depends on the year of your car but you'll need to remove the cover plate just below the interior door handle. This plate covers the power window motor (provided you have one) and will allow you to remove the door lock assembly.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:01 AM
nearflack
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Got mine out pretty easy as stated above. I ordered new lock buttons, actuators and harness but now after connecting everything back fuse blows as soon as i plug the new switch into the harness. Someone told me there was something quirky about wiring in the new harness, that you dont necessarily match colored wires to each other. Sent switches back thinking that was the problem and waiting on exchange. Anyone else had this issue. Its a 1980 by the way.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:03 AM
nearflack
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Default another door lock question

I replaced the glove box lock/latch. The door lock key is missing in action. Can the door lock be keyed to the new glove box key withouth removing it from the door.

Get notified of new replies

To Door Lock Mechanism

Quick Reply: Door Lock Mechanism