C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vapor canister ( want to clean up under hood)

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 07:39 PM
diehrd
Safety Car

Received 293 Likes on 189 Posts

Default Vapor canister ( want to clean up under hood)

I want to clean up under my hood when i put on my fast burn heads and LT4 hot cam.

There are a fist full of vac lines that go behind alt and cross over break boster and although done neatly it just looks like crap. Can anyone tell me how many of those lines actually control something other then fume removal it seams to me vac lines run to it and branch off it to go someplace ya would think did not need that can to get to.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:03 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by diehrd
I want to clean up under my hood when i put on my fast burn heads and LT4 hot cam.

There are a fist full of vac lines that go behind alt and cross over break boster and although done neatly it just looks like crap. Can anyone tell me how many of those lines actually control something other then fume removal it seams to me vac lines run to it and branch off it to go someplace ya would think did not need that can to get to.

Keep the shiny side up!
Scott
Old 11-05-2012, 09:07 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

I don't think that 'under the hood' is the first thing that needs to be cleaned up.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:03 AM
scottw
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice job Alan. Looks great. Think I may have to work on mine a little bit this winter.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:21 AM
diehrd
Safety Car

If entertainment is how you guys reply or bragging ,look at my stuff. Maybe it is time to grow up .. Of all forums I am a member of this one is by far the worst with people cross posting and offering no help at all and thread jacking.

If you have nothing to add that is topic related just stay out of a posting . . .
Old 11-06-2012, 08:02 AM
AdamMeh
Melting Slicks

Received 212 Likes on 113 Posts

If entertainment is how you guys reply or bragging ,look at my stuff. Maybe it is time to grow up .. Of all forums I am a member of this one is by far the worst with people cross posting and offering no help at all and thread jacking.

If you have nothing to add that is topic related just stay out of a posting . . .
I sure hope you're not referring to Alan's photo post?? If you want to see how it SHOULD be done (and how clean it can look when they are done right) that photo should be a great guide for every one of us. Alan's car is amazing, and he's done a fantastic job of documenting all areas of his car. He's also willing to take time out of his day to share that info to try and help the rest of us.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:04 AM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

I agree that all of those lines look like hell. A fist full of them probably can be eliminated. There is a vent for the fuel tank that you would want to keep hooked up. To what I'm not sure. Probably some vacuum source or vent on the carb. I have a schematic of what all this crap goes to. I'll email it to you if you want. Shoot me a PM if interested.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:28 AM
diehrd
Safety Car

Originally Posted by AdamMeh
I sure hope you're not referring to Alan's photo post?? If you want to see how it SHOULD be done (and how clean it can look when they are done right) that photo should be a great guide for every one of us. Alan's car is amazing, and he's done a fantastic job of documenting all areas of his car. He's also willing to take time out of his day to share that info to try and help the rest of us.
Look I don't need a lecture, he posted a photo of exactly what I DO NOT want to see under my hood , My car is amazing, I took my time to ask for advice and you can post elsewhere and stay on topic as we all should in any reply .
Old 11-06-2012, 08:28 AM
diehrd
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Street Rat
I agree that all of those lines look like hell. A fist full of them probably can be eliminated. There is a vent for the fuel tank that you would want to keep hooked up. To what I'm not sure. Probably some vacuum source or vent on the carb. I have a schematic of what all this crap goes to. I'll email it to you if you want. Shoot me a PM if interested.
Thank you street rat !!! i am sending you my email address.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:37 AM
71scgc
Melting Slicks

Received 58 Likes on 57 Posts

I too like to have things look as neat and simple under the hood, and did some things to straighten up that area. Some of the lines could probably be removed, but not all of them. You should research what NEEDS to stay, and what you could live without. I removed the vapor can and associated lines from my car (the can was an empty shell anyway), and it neatened up that area considerably, but I doubt you can completely remove all the lines without losing the function of your headlights, etc. Perhaps some creative re-routing?
I'm just trying to make some suggestions without being inflammatory.
Good luck in your tidying up!
Carter
Old 11-06-2012, 08:38 AM
alswagg
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

WOW! I guess I better shut up then. Maybe you should post a photo if your car is so "Amazing". Good luck Garage queen!
Old 11-06-2012, 08:48 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

...Look I don't need a lecture...
Order the AIM; look at the stock fuel vapor system; then decide if you want to remove it.

You can learn something in the process.

Old 11-06-2012, 08:49 AM
diehrd
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 71scgc
I too like to have things look as neat and simple under the hood, and did some things to straighten up that area. Some of the lines could probably be removed, but not all of them. You should research what NEEDS to stay, and what you could live without. I removed the vapor can and associated lines from my car (the can was an empty shell anyway), and it neatened up that area considerably, but I doubt you can completely remove all the lines without losing the function of your headlights, etc. Perhaps some creative re-routing?
I'm just trying to make some suggestions without being inflammatory.
Good luck in your tidying up!
Carter
Thanks !~!~! I just got a print out of what it all goes to and when i pull the heads off the ZZ4 to upgrade the top end I am going to remove every unneeded line and there are a lot of them !

And as you suggested I will also be able to run them creatively and keep head lights as well as heater controls , PCV and break booster which is all that should need a vac source .
Old 11-06-2012, 09:05 AM
johnnyw
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree about wanting to get rid of the clutter. It will have effect on originality but I can see where you aren't concerned about that so much. As stated be sure you know what your getting rid of by following the AIM and of course watch where you route things because you may need to get to them later and watch out for getting stuff to close to hot parts. My car has had a lot of vacuum lines removed and lots of extra wires put on for stereo and other junk that I'm slowly trying to figure out. Good luck
Old 11-06-2012, 10:01 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Considering that your post is only semi-intelligible and you didn't bother mentioning what car, engine or transmission option you have- you're giving US a hard time for not offering help?
Old 11-06-2012, 11:43 AM
AirborneSilva
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi,
"it just looks like crap". ??
Regards,
Alan

Post more pics, that looks great from what I can see
Old 11-06-2012, 11:45 AM
AirborneSilva
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by AdamMeh

Concur, Alan has always taken the time to help me!

Get notified of new replies

To Vapor canister ( want to clean up under hood)

Old 11-06-2012, 12:10 PM
diehrd
Safety Car

Originally Posted by AirborneSilva
Concur, Alan has always taken the time to help me!
I guess we each have our gods to prey to. I am content with mine not being a member of a corvette forum
Old 11-06-2012, 12:13 PM
AirborneSilva
Melting Slicks

I guess we each have our gods to prey to. I am content with mine not being a member of a corvette forum
Dude, there's something wrong with you. All I said was that Alan has always helped me. I am content with my God too and it's not obummer or allah, he's my Christian God! you need to grow up and quit whining like a girl scout at a hells angels rally...
Old 11-06-2012, 12:19 PM
diehrd
Safety Car

Originally Posted by AirborneSilva
Dude, there's something wrong with you. All I said was that Alan has always helped me. I am content with my God too and it's not obummer or allah, he's my Christian God! you need to grow up and quit whining like a girl scout at a hells angels rally...
Nice ... Any other thread related information you might have to offer ? Because that covered every vac hose under my hood !!!

Quick Reply: Vapor canister ( want to clean up under hood)