Sponsored by:

help 78 stingray

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 05:12 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by 1978corvettestingray
haha OK you guys. Why wait tell im older lol when I can actually look good and drive around and not get a used one and drive around like some old weird guy lol.
Ah, the arrogance of youth.......I remember it well. (I don't recall being quite as big a douchebag as a certain 16 year old Corvette owner, who shall remain nameless) But I don't miss it. It was taken from me by several drill sergeants down at Ft. Benning, GA in the summer of 1985. They taught me how age and experience will always beat youth and enthusiasm. And they taught me right.......the hard way. I recommend it. Why spend twenty years gradually learning something, when you can have it crammed in there, and still be young enough for it to do you some good? It gives you a much more balanced perspective on things in general.

Here's some advice from an "old weird guy":

1.) During winter storage, relative temperature doesn't matter nearly as much as maintaining a consistent temperature. Any temperature changes can lead to condensation, which can lead to corrosion. Corrosion is bad.

2.) Change the oil right before putting the car into storage. During the normal operation of an internal combustion engine, trace amouints of acid are created in the oil, and can have an etching effect on bearings and other friction surfaces while sitting all winter.

3.) Store the car with the gas tank completely full, using a fuel stabilizer like Sta-bil. It will help keep condensation from occuring inside the gas tank. Drive it around a little to get the treated fuel into the carb.

4.) Remove the battery, and keep it somewhere warm, like the basement. (This has the added benefit of making the car harder to steal.)

5.) Take some time and learn how to write a coherent sentence.

6.) There is this thing on the internet called Google. It's a search engine. Here is a link to it:

http://www.google.com/

If you type "winter car storage tips" into Google, and click the search button, you will see approximately 3,170,000 results, most of which will be helpful. An added benefit: Now that you know about Google, you will find that it is much easier to find information on the internet, and that might keep you from being so grumpy-grouchy. I recommend perusing a few of these sites, then have some some milk and cookies, and then nappy-time. You are probably just cranky from being overtired.

Keep the shiny side up!
Scott
Old 11-16-2012, 08:18 PM
lonzoo
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

1978..Regardless if we didn't understand or you didn't specify correctly your attitude is sh**y. 3 years ago I was able to buy my first Corvette which is a 78 SA in IMMACULATE original condition. As an "old guy" at age 60 I knew nothing about Corvettes although I have worked on cars all my life.Corvettes are special and as much knowledge as you can soak up will only help preserve the joy of owning one. I turned to this forum to do just that. These great members have many years of knowledge and experience and are eager to share and help any way they can. I can only say thanks to all who have helped me over the last couple years..you guys are great. I hope you have not crapped in your mess kit in your short time on this forum.You owe a few apologies and maybe you will get any answers you need in the future.

Lonzoo....maybe "OLD but certainly not WIERD"

Last edited by lonzoo; 11-16-2012 at 08:20 PM.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:29 PM
avalonjohn
Le Mans Master

Received 278 Likes on 212 Posts

I think he's gone. Shame, I was just getting warmed up for the second round.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:49 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by lonzoo
1978..Regardless if we didn't understand or you didn't specify correctly your attitude is sh**y. 3 years ago I was able to buy my first Corvette which is a 78 SA in IMMACULATE original condition. As an "old guy" at age 60 I knew nothing about Corvettes although I have worked on cars all my life.Corvettes are special and as much knowledge as you can soak up will only help preserve the joy of owning one. I turned to this forum to do just that. These great members have many years of knowledge and experience and are eager to share and help any way they can. I can only say thanks to all who have helped me over the last couple years..you guys are great. I hope you have not crapped in your mess kit in your short time on this forum.You owe a few apologies and maybe you will get any answers you need in the future.

Lonzoo....maybe "OLD but certainly not WIERD"
LOL! "crapped in your mess kit", Wow! I haven't heard that phrase in a long, long time!!

Keep the shiny side up!
Scott
Old 11-20-2012, 03:36 AM
1978corvettestingray
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default haha

really it is a stingray man why wouldn't it be. honestly all your point was proving to me was nothing, because all you were was going on about was how im wrong. umm ok help me out don't be a dick about it. you guys are obs jealus haha
Old 11-20-2012, 07:32 AM
Tim H
Safety Car

Received 103 Likes on 69 Posts

See I knew you guys couldn't help. first of all I know what the thing is.
1st: of all until you really know what you got and its not a "Stingray" they stopped in 76 so stop dreaming.
2nd: These guys on here have cars that are worth 50 of your Micky Mouse, cookie cutter hand me down so please if you know so much just talk to yourself and answer your own questions.
You will wreck it soon or trade it for a lowered Nissan pickup truck anyway and then we won't have to "not" answer any of your stuttering, non-understanding gibberish soon enough.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:44 AM
sweeet76
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow Tim H, man, no offense but that is the first thing I've read from you that I agree with 100%. I guess I need to read your post and responses a little better.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:08 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

And you guys are arguing with a 16 year old with an attitude- why?
Old 11-20-2012, 10:22 AM
F22
Le Mans Master

Received 280 Likes on 214 Posts

really it is a stingray man why wouldn't it be. honestly all your point was proving to me was nothing, because all you were was going on about was how im wrong. umm ok help me out don't be a dick about it. you guys are obs jealus haha
Yep, we're so jealous! We all wish that we could be an arrogant ahole like yourself! God, it must be wonderful, that gift of knowing it all! And those weird old guys, well they don't know nothing! But I had to take my car to a mechanic, which really demonstrates my lack of skills, but I won't need help from you guys, because I know it all!

Don't worry, you'll be a weird old guy too, unless you don't make it that far. Then you'll die, because nobody has figured out a way out of that one yet.

Good luck with your 78' C3 and don't **** off your mechanic, because you've already pissed us off. Oh and you'll be overjoyed at how much it's going to cost too and we'll be grinning, because these aren't cheap cars to own. Hopefully you have the funds to back it up and you don't need our help after all!

Adios!
Old 11-20-2012, 01:17 PM
Tim H
Safety Car

Originally Posted by sweeet76
Wow Tim H, man, no offense but that is the first thing I've read from you that I agree with 100%. I guess I need to read your post and responses a little better.
I defend this site because its worth it and when someone starts slamming it I take offence because I have been here along time and have seen them come and go and I like this site.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:40 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Mike Ward
I have to agree with Mike, here, the kid is obviously just trolling, at this point, and we all know that arguing with a troll is just giving him what he wants.

I'm wondering if the kid is even 16, to be honest.

Keep the shiny side up!
Scott
Old 11-20-2012, 04:53 PM
sweeet76
Burning Brakes

First he needs a spanking. Then he needs to troll to the insurance company where maybe they can explain to him why they won't insure him in a Corvette. I don't thnk he will get it but at least he could act like a brat with them for awhile.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:15 PM
Tim H
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Mike Ward View Post
Originally Posted by scottyp99
I have to agree with Mike
Scotty, same reason I argue with you, its fun and easy!

Keep the b side down unless know one else is home!!!
Old 11-20-2012, 09:24 PM
GOLF72
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

and of course i know the history on it. Do you guys even know how basic care works or am i wasting my time?
Hey Jr... go easy on us. The guys may not have given you the answer you wanted but they certainly were trying to help. Thus a thank you to them would have been the mature thing to say not get an attitude.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:06 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Tim H
Scotty, same reason I argue with you, its fun and easy!

Keep the b side down unless know one else is home!!!
Tim can kinda be a troll, but he provides a certain level of entertainment value, so we keep him around!

Keep the shiny side up!
Scott
Old 11-21-2012, 02:47 PM
1978corvettestingray
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hahaha ok got bored of reading about hate. haha dont worry i just thought this was suppose 2 help people
Old 11-21-2012, 03:18 PM
Jasonb86
Racer

See I knew you guys couldn't help. first of all I know what the thing is.
really it is a stingray man why wouldn't it be.
So you know exactly what it is, but you don't know why it wouldn't be considered a Stingray? I'm 26 and youth is no excuse for attitude. There's a lot of help available here on the forum, and I know from experience the members here are happy to help. If you read your first post again, it was unclear whether the car had been started or not - you said it was sitting for seven years in one sentence, and then asked how to start it after it had been sitting.

That said... congratulations on owning a C3 Corvette, they're definitely fun cars and hopefully yours can give you enjoyment plus a good connection to your late father. This forum has a lot of good information and members, who I'm sure are happy to see a young person take interest. And realize most of them are parents as well, so if they see a 'kid' mouthing off, they're going to say something.

Can you should post some pictures of the car? If you can't figure out how to upload and post pictures, maybe you're not 16 after all! (J/K of course)

Get notified of new replies

To help 78 stingray

Old 11-21-2012, 07:48 PM
esierra
Racer

I believe his 16 or his fakes it well, In any case thank you all for a very amusing thread, I've LMAO. Happy Thanks Giving to all
Old 11-21-2012, 08:50 PM
ptroxx
Race Director

Location: Henderson Nv-Rohnert Park/Sonoma C o. ca/born in NY Rockaway Beach.
Received 547 Likes on 385 Posts

THis is only going to get better... Kids these days
Old 11-21-2012, 09:16 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by ptroxx
THis is only going to get better... Kids these days
Yes, the yoots of today..............

Quick Reply: help 78 stingray