Engine stand ideas wanted

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 10:00 AM
spf72
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 46 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Engine stand ideas wanted

I am looking to buy or build engine stands for a few engines I have in my garage. I have a couple of the stands that are tall and bolt to the rear of the engine and they are good when I am working on it but not good for storage as they are too high and unstable to move around much. I also have one of the low stands that cradles the engine at the engine mounts and I like it but all that I find to buy are not made very well.

So does anyone know who sells a quality low stand that is on casters or has anyone made their own? I have two engines that are on original GM crates and thought of putting castors under the crate but they are all boxed up and I would rather have them open.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:10 AM
Ibanez540r
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

I came across these the other day. Not sure about quality, but can't beat it for the price ($33). Probably couldn't even build one for that.

Get one, see how it is, and if need be step up to the more expensive one.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/p...engine-cradles

***Actually, just looking at them more closely, the quality is the same (weigh limit, gauge of steel, caster size). The only difference I can see is the style of mounts.

Last edited by Ibanez540r; 12-11-2012 at 10:14 AM.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:49 AM
Faster Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 145 Posts

I bought this one at Northern Tool for $44 and had it modified to bolt to the rear of the heads...allowing the bellhousing and tranny to be mounted. It rolls around on wheels real well and is actually balanced.

Tried selling it on CF for $100 but nobody was interested. Ended up trading it for parts.

Old 12-11-2012, 11:49 AM
smon
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the summit one. It works, so I would say that it is good. But the finish is pretty rough. It needs a little massaging to get the bolt holes to line up correctly. The wheels are fairly heavy duty...enough that I can roll it off the little ledge in my garage without a problem.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:27 PM
spf72
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 46 Likes on 10 Posts

smon which one did you buy from Summit?
Looks like the $70 one has a different mount, as Ibanez pointed out, and it is made in the USA. I am all about buying things made here but I also expect it to be made better.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:55 PM
stpman
Melting Slicks

I made some that bolt up to the motor mount area and have casters to roll around. I've made about 4 sets and have a couple tuned port engines set up with them now. I can't get pictures right now
Old 12-11-2012, 05:26 PM
Rowdy Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 439 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Faster Rat
I bought this one at Northern Tool for $44 and had it modified to bolt to the rear of the heads...allowing the bellhousing and tranny to be mounted. It rolls around on wheels real well and is actually balanced.

Tried selling it on CF for $100 but nobody was interested. Ended up trading it for parts.

I missed that... I would have taken it off of your hands.

Just what I need. I'm going to have to borrow that idea.

Regards,

Stan Falenski
Old 12-11-2012, 06:18 PM
loup68
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 427 Likes on 322 Posts

Jegs.com, has a different engine stand, #550-1020. I made one like it and added a front and rear angle piece to make it sturdier. I did not need the transmission attached to the engine. Lou.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:31 PM
oldgto
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 485 Posts

I built this test stand with some scrap square tube I had laying around. But Faster Rat.... I LIKE the one you show in the pic, and I just may try to weld one up like it. Where does it bolt to on the front side?

Old 12-11-2012, 10:17 PM
Faster Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 145 Posts

The front supports bolt to the motor mount holes. The rear supports were cut at an angle and welded slightly outboard. A gusset was added for stiffening. This was the big block cradle from Northern. I'm sure the small block cradle from any of the vendors could be modified in a similar way. Heck, even add heavier duty casters if you don't like the ones they come with.

This made it really easy to mount the flywheel and clutch, center the bellhousing and bolt/torque the transmission. Sure beats doing all this underneath the car.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:41 AM
BigBadBorry
Instructor

$35 Oz (that's about $60 US)

Wheels around and absolutely ideal.

Old 12-12-2012, 10:21 AM
Rowdy Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 439 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Faster Rat
This made it really easy to mount the flywheel and clutch, center the bellhousing and bolt/torque the transmission. Sure beats doing all this underneath the car.
Exactly why I like it... Nice job!

Regards,

Stan
Old 12-12-2012, 11:40 AM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Had an extra engine, and access to heavy agle iron, so welded one up, and put on some large castors. Mine only had center uprights, that bolted to the motor mounts. Wasn't a thing of beauty, as didn't even paint it. Had Home Depot rip a 4x8' plywood in half, so I could roll it accross the lawn, to the rear storage shed. Pulled the carb, and put a piece of wood on It for a storage shelf. I'd take some pictures, but gave it to the guy who bought the engine.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:13 PM
smon
Racer

I bought the $30 one. I probably should have clarified that I put the stand together first and then dropped the engine on (by hand...which is another story). If you have it on a hoist, it would probably fit better by bolting it up the engine first.

Get notified of new replies

To Engine stand ideas wanted

Quick Reply: Engine stand ideas wanted