Sponsored by:

73-76 Deluxe Int. Console Inserts

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 09:17 AM
Brcmpbl
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Default 73-76 Deluxe Int. Console Inserts

Hi guys, think there's a major quality / material difference between a stock wood grain insert and a repop from C. America? I've found myself with most interior components that there is. Also, I'm wondering if my original is majorly faded, see pic. The inserts on the doors are also original and are darker somewhat. Basically I'm on the fence as to whether or not I should bother swapping the old for the new in this case...the grain looks different somehow (original is installed in pic, and repop still has protective plastic on it, can see it a bit in the lower left corner). Thanks.

Attached Images  

Last edited by Brcmpbl; 01-04-2013 at 09:19 AM.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:09 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Just my .02; I don't see any reason to replace the original. It looks fine to me.

Which matches the door trim better, original or new?

Old 01-04-2013, 12:08 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,316 Posts

My first question, is what year are you working on? Your avatar lists a 70 Corvette, and the title says 73-76. The data plate on the console pictured appears to be from a 75/76 Corvette.

If it's a 76, then the original console wood piece, is likely to be lighter. 70-71 and 72-75 Custom Interiors, came with Walnut wood trim. 76's came with Teak wood trim. I can't say that Walnut didn't find it's way into some 76's, but I don't believe so. The 76 console trim, carried a different part number in the Corvette Parts Books, than the 72-75.

Reproduction door panel trim, is available in either the walnut or teak, but to the best of my knowledge, the console pieces are only available in walnut.

I have a couple original NOS 72-75 non air console trim pieces, along with some repro ones. The NOS pieces appear to be an actual wood veneer, while the repros look to be a synthetic "wood".

The NOS ones have a very distinct wood grain to them. One of the repros I have, also has a grain effect to it, while the other is perfectly smooth. I know that one repro is much older than the other, and I think it's the grained one. I also know they came from two different vendors, but I'm not sure which came from which vendor, so I'm not naming names. I do know that one of the vendors does repro these, and I think the other one does too. They're both in my computer as wholesale sources, with similar pricing.

In the pictures below, the NOS one is shown in the top photo. In the second picture, the NOS one is on the left and the repro with the grain, is on the right. In the third picture, the NOS one is on the left, the grained repro on the right, and the repro without any grain, is laying on top of the other two, in the middle.

While not identical, you can see that the color is very close on all 3. The part number on the NOS one (333517), is listed in the Parts Book for 72-75 only, not 76. The 76 console trim carried part numbers 362914 (non air cars), and number 362913 for cars with AC. I believe that the 76 insert should be a lighter teak color, like the one in the console in your post.
Attached Images    

Last edited by gbvette62; 01-04-2013 at 12:21 PM.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:36 PM
Brcmpbl
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Thanks guys. I'm fairly certain I'm going to leave the original in. You can't see in the pic very well because of the flash, but it has some marks on it and is lifting a little at the edges. It will stay in the car.

gb, you hit my concern bang on. I was certain that the 76 insert was different from all the others...teak rather than walnut and thus lighter in shade...but the major retailers (CA, CC but drop shipped from CA anyway, etc.) only offered choices for 70-71 and then 72-76. Point being there was no 76 specific one. This is what I was hoping to hear, in order to confirm my thoughts. Really they should offer three choices, 70-71, 72-75, and standalone 76.

The NOS one on the car is lifting a bit at the edges, which was why I was going to just replace it. Now I'm just going to re-stick the NOSer. Any idea what kind of adhesive I should use?

Also, I have two Corvettes...a 1970 (shown in the avatar) and also a 1976 (I've got this listed on my profile somewhere). Both actually have the Custom Interior option, and the 1970's is in fantastic shape. I've been working to improve the 1976's and it is starting to look really nice...I'll try to get some pics up sometime. Sorry for any confusion.

Also thanks very much for the post and pics...very informative. You can really see the grain in the NOS parts and older repro.

Last edited by Brcmpbl; 01-04-2013 at 02:57 PM.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:08 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,316 Posts

Originally Posted by Brcmpbl
The NOS one on the car is lifting a bit at the edges, which was why I was going to just replace it. Now I'm just going to re-stick the NOSer. Any idea what kind of adhesive I should use?
The original console inserts are made up of 2 pieces. There's the wood veneer, and then there is a metal (actually aluminum I think) base. The veneer is glued to the base and then the whole assembly was glued to the console. I'm sure this was because the veneer is fragile and would be harder to install on it's own.

With age, the veneer being wood, probably expands and contacts differently then the base, causing it to crack and lift. My NOS ones (I have 2 of them) are both lifting and cracking, in a couple spots.

I would try something like Superglue. Superglue is thin enough that it shouldn't ooze out much, and yet is still strong. A contact cement like Duco Cement, would probably work too, but it's much thicker.

Get notified of new replies

To 73-76 Deluxe Int. Console Inserts

Quick Reply: 73-76 Deluxe Int. Console Inserts