Old 05-05-2013, 07:39 PM
dtamustang
Pro

Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts

Old 05-05-2013, 08:09 PM
78SilverCam
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The vise grips worked - and to backtrack - yes, I found the nut rounded off. I used my flare nut wrench (lesson from a previous job) to try and salvage it. No dice...

So the vice grips came out and got it off. Thanks for the suggestion.

Using the "it's my corvette" rule - think I will replace the brakeline next time I go to bleed the brakes.

I'm already well invested into new Wilwood calipers, rotors, brake pads, master cylinder rebuild, etc. that if I can tell the wife I saved $50...it will go over well...
Old 05-05-2013, 09:09 PM
1969Corvette
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Any old car can turn into a project not just a Vette, the difference I see with the Vette is Everyone looks at my Vette and says NICE CAR! So for me it is worthe the work. Glad you got it
Old 05-06-2013, 01:21 AM
Korevette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have always bought the hardware store/automotive supplier flare nut wrench but had them 'spread' and start to round off the edges of the jut and then the need to go to the old trusty 'Vice Grip'.

For some tools I will always buy the very best. I have purchased Snap-On wrenches for these types of situations. Yes they are a bit more money but do save a lot of grief. Another favorite tool is a small hand held butane torch to warm up the item with the female thread to 'expand' and assist with backing off of the nut.

You can't beat the old Vice Grip though. I remember seeing an advertisement in Field and Stream 40 years ago of people who wrote in to what they used thier Vice Grips for. I still recall of a couple of guys who lost the nut on the trailer hitch ball of their boat trailer but secured it with Vice Grips to get home...
Old 05-06-2013, 08:55 AM
78SilverCam
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Korevette
I still recall of a couple of guys who lost the nut on the trailer hitch ball of their boat trailer but secured it with Vice Grips to get home...
LMFAO!

Quick Reply: Brake Line nut rounded off