C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help , V -Belt issues - wrong crank pulley?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 09:45 PM
yellowC3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help , V -Belt issues - wrong crank pulley?

Hey, Im trying to run my v belts but I think i have the wrong crank pulley. The crank pulley is 3 groove and sticks out a bit off the harmonic balancer, doesnt match up that well and im not sure what it originated from. My alternator is moved back to the driver side with correct mount and only lines up with the rear water pump pulley, lining up behind the crank pulley to no where land. The power steering pulley wants to line up with the middle groove on the crank pulley. Nothing lines up with the 3rd groove on crank pulley ( front most groove) It too far forward. So What can fix this problem It looks like I need a 3 groove like on my first gen camaro. Its a 2 piece , 3 groove pulley... is that what this calls for???

Correct me if im wrong but the alternator belt is supposed to go around the rear most crank groove and rear most WP groove. The power steering is supposed to go just around the crank pulley (front most) and that leaves the middle crank groove open for the AC that is now delete? The PS doesnt line up at all with the water pump pulley as it is too far forward... That's why im assuming it only goes around the crank. Any help is greatly appreciated, I wish things could just sail smooth but oh well... !

Last edited by yellowC3; 06-19-2013 at 10:05 PM.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:58 PM
DC3
Melting Slicks

Received 353 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by yellowC3
Hello again Corvette forum ! You guys have helped me a long way but now Im finishing up and found this bug... I'm just trying to run the alternator, water pump and power steering. Correct me if Im wrong but the alternator belt goes around the crank and water pump (2 groove WP pulley) and obviously the alternator. The power steering pump goes around the crank and 2nd (front ) groove on the water pump. I have a 3 groove crank pulley that sits out a bit and doesn't look right.

If I get a stubby 2 groove crank pulley should i be all set?

(just posted, uploading photo in a minute)

Thanks !!
The power steering pump uses different pulleys depending on whether its an AC car or a non-AC car. My '73 was originally non-AC. Before I added Vintage Air, my crank pulley only had 2 grooves and the power steering pump ran on the 2nd groove (closest to radiator). To add the AC, I had to get a new pulley for the power steering and add a pulley to the existing two on the crank to get the 3rd groove. The power steering now uses the 3rd (outer) groove and the AC uses the middle groove on the crank.

If your power steering pulley is the correct one to use with the 2nd groove, you might be able to just remove the extra (3rd) pulley from the crank (reverse of what I had to do).

DC
Old 06-19-2013, 10:13 PM
yellowC3
Instructor

my original post seemed confusing and off point so i rewrote it....

heres a photo

Old 06-19-2013, 10:21 PM
yellowC3
Instructor

I added some dotted lines to see where everything is trying to route.

the problem should be very apparent now...
Old 06-19-2013, 10:21 PM
DC3
Melting Slicks

Correct me if im wrong but the alternator belt is supposed to go around the rear most crank groove and rear most WP groove.
Correct.

The power steering is supposed to go just around the crank pulley (front most) and that leaves the middle crank groove open for the AC that is now delete?
Correct, IF you have the power steering pulley for an AC car. If the power steering pulley is from a non-AC car, it will line up with the middle crank groove and you can remove the 3rd (outer) crank pulley.

Check the bolts on the crank pulleys. It looks like that 3rd pulley is out a bit too far.

DC

Last edited by DC3; 06-19-2013 at 10:46 PM.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:29 PM
DC3
Melting Slicks

I posted before I saw your 2nd photo but I'm not sure what to add. With the dashed lines, it makes it look like the crank pulley is too far forward. Except for that, it doesn't look too different from my '73.

DC
Old 06-19-2013, 11:38 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

You have a crank pulley for a long water pump. The correct pulley nearly touches the balancer,.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:07 AM
yellowC3
Instructor

Thanks guys awesome ! problem solved, I'll try to locate the right pulley now.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:44 AM
gkz
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

This is how the stock pulley looks--right against the balancer.

Old 06-20-2013, 10:06 AM
DC3
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by TimAT
You have a crank pulley for a long water pump. The correct pulley nearly touches the balancer,.
Good catch. For awhile I couldn't figure out how you could tell that so easily but after adjusting the contrast on my monitor I can see it very clearly.

DC
Old 06-20-2013, 10:32 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

...I'll try to locate the right pulley...
Assembly Instruction Manuals (AIMs) always show factory belt routings for all cars. They also include the original GM part numbers for pullies.

Old 06-20-2013, 11:54 AM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by DC3
Good catch. For awhile I couldn't figure out how you could tell that so easily but after adjusting the contrast on my monitor I can see it very clearly.

DC
OK, I'll admit it. I cheated. I just did a BB swap into a 53 Chevy and the owner got a short water pump and had long pump pulleys.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:40 PM
Jig A Low
Pro

if I'm not seriously mistaken, my crank pulley is two pieces and the larger one is the first on the balancer, then the two belt pulley fits down inside of it.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:44 PM
Jig A Low
Pro

in fact, now that i look at it closer, I think the water pump pulleys are wrong too, on my car, the water pump pulley is one piece and both belt groves are the same diameter, maybe you have something switch around between the crank and water pump
Old 06-21-2013, 12:07 AM
yellowC3
Instructor

Hey, no kidding , i just went ahead and ordered a billet 3 groove crank pulley. I also figured out , i dont even need the 2 groove waterpump pulley since the middle groove on the crank wont be used and i deleted a/c. Just going with aftermarket stuff here.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:53 AM
1969Corvette
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It is not a bad idea to install a belt that goes from the crank to the water pump on the middle pulley. This will stop belt squeal at higher RPM.
Old 06-21-2013, 04:02 PM
yellowC3
Instructor

Originally Posted by 1969Corvette
It is not a bad idea to install a belt that goes from the crank to the water pump on the middle pulley. This will stop belt squeal at higher RPM.

Sounds like a good idea ,so find one a little tight and force it on- or walk it on with the pulley? have a part # by chance? Thanks
Old 06-21-2013, 04:43 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Sounds like a good idea ,so find one a little tight and force it on- or walk it on with the pulley? have a part # by chance? Thanks
If the belt is correct, you'll have to remove the water pump pulley and then place the belt in the correct groove, and reinstall the pulley. If the belt is too short, it'll eat the water pump bearings, too long and it'll flop around. Trick is to get 1/2 to 3/4 deflection in the middle of the run. May take a couple of trips to the parts store to get it right. The AIM will have the factory p/n so you might be able to cross it from that- provided you still have the factory pulleys.

Get notified of new replies

To Help , V -Belt issues - wrong crank pulley?

Quick Reply: Help , V -Belt issues - wrong crank pulley?