The highly documented Red 1971 LT-1

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 06:31 PM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default The highly documented Red 1971 LT-1

Hello all!!!!!

I have located another potential buy for me here and wanted to share and get others thoughts. I appreciate anyone giving me insight on this car. I am NO EXPERT when it comes to evaluating a classic corvette. I do have basic knowledge and many here in the forums have BETTER than basic knowledge and are able to sniff out any inconsistencies before I get myself into trouble. As much as I like the look of this car I do not make impulsive buys.

The following is a 1971 LT-1 corvette coupe. Red exterior, with red interior. It has had SEVERAL owners. I believe around eight so far. The current owner purchased this vehicle from Proteam corvette several years ago. It has a partial tank sticker. The current owner was able to track back to the previous owners and find the protecto plate. The car was top flighted in 2005. The current owner is the one that got it judged top flight. The car has been completed restored and is in good working condition. Only a few of the parts are not original.

I am going to present some pictures here for you to take a look. The asking price is $48,000. Before I weigh in further I will have you guys who are interested in taking a look give me some insight on what you think. I am still getting information at this time but I am ready to present. Here are some pictures the seller sent me. Thank you and best regards.

Old 07-03-2013, 06:49 PM
dar322
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

i think you should change your name to theredvette.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:37 PM
Don Rickles
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 134 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C3 of Year

That's the darkest red interior I've ever seen.....

WB

Last edited by Don Rickles; 07-03-2013 at 07:39 PM.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:42 PM
dan1495
Burning Brakes

Received 263 Likes on 184 Posts
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

Default Lt-1

Please just buy it.
Old 07-04-2013, 05:54 AM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Originally Posted by dan1495
Please just buy it.
I wish it were that easy. Buying a car like this without researching it carefully first can end up being a recipe for disaster. Time is a luxury I have.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:54 AM
LoneStarV
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First off that's a black interior not red. Wheels aren't stock. Where are the pics of the engine and under side? Right now all we're looking at is eye candy snaps of pretty red paint. 48k is too much in any case. For that kinda money you get a frame off restored fat block drop top......you said more than once a coupe was a non starter. Keep looking get what you really want.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:58 AM
jaxlt1
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 63 Posts

P02 Deluxe Wheel Covers were optional on a 71. I also agree with LoneStarV. 48K is over priced. Top Flight'ed in 2005, that was 8 years ago. Flight judging has gotten much more precise over the years and would be interesting on how it would compare to todays standards.

Last edited by jaxlt1; 07-04-2013 at 09:03 AM.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:28 AM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Originally Posted by LoneStarV
First off that's a black interior not red. Wheels aren't stock. Where are the pics of the engine and under side? Right now all we're looking at is eye candy snaps of pretty red paint. 48k is too much in any case. For that kinda money you get a frame off restored fat block drop top......you said more than once a coupe was a non starter. Keep looking get what you really want.
What can I say? It caught my interest. It has red exterior so i called it red.I have other pics. I am bringing out the highlights. BOMBSHELL....what do you think of that engine stamp?

Last edited by theblackvette; 07-04-2013 at 09:30 AM.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:01 AM
LT-1 kid
Melting Slicks

Received 245 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by LoneStarV
PO2s are a stock option, anyway op just buy a car already.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:15 AM
jaxlt1
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by theblackvette
What can I say? It caught my interest. It has red exterior so i called it red.I have other pics. I am bringing out the highlights. BOMBSHELL....what do you think of that engine stamp?
Looks like someone went overboard trying to clean the paint from the pad.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:36 AM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Originally Posted by LT-1 kid
PO2s are a stock option, anyway op just buy a car already.
The PO2s did not come with this car. In fact they are not on the car currently.

I would love to buy a car already. I am with you. I will certainly do so when I find the right one.

I like to wish you and your family a very happy Indepedence Day. Best regards.
Old 07-04-2013, 01:08 PM
exposingtime
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
2015 C3 of the Year Finalist

Do you want a coupe or a vert? I think there are much nicer cars out there. Be patient and you will find the right car.

gary
Old 07-04-2013, 01:26 PM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Originally Posted by exposingtime
Do you want a coupe or a vert? I think there are much nicer cars out there. Be patient and you will find the right car.

gary
Hello there. I never ever considered a coupe but I looked at a 454 locally that was a coupe at a show and didn't realize that the tops come off. That is pretty interesting so it is something for me to explore and consider.

In regards to THIS car I have on this thread. The seller disclosed that the engine is RESTAMPED but says the protecto plate PROVES that it was restamped at the factory. Is this accurate???????

The word RESTAMP simply scares me especially if you are shelling out tens of thousands of dollars..........ugh!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-04-2013, 03:24 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,030 Likes on 1,316 Posts

Originally Posted by theblackvette
In regards to THIS car I have on this thread. The seller disclosed that the engine is RESTAMPED but says the protecto plate PROVES that it was restamped at the factory. Is this accurate???????

The word RESTAMP simply scares me especially if you are shelling out tens of thousands of dollars..........ugh!!!!!!!!!!
The word "restamp" should scare you!

The Protect-O-Plate will give you the original owners name, the VIN and some other information. It will not prove anything about a restamped block.

From looking at the picture of the block, the seller may mean that the pad is a factory grind out. This happened when the info stamped on the block was wrong, or there was a problem with the engine, causing it to be pulled from the line and repaired. Either way, the Protect-O-Plate, has nothing to do with that. If it is a grind out, you need to have someone familiar with stamp pads, verify what your looking at, so that you don't get burned!

You need to clarify exactly what the seller was talking about. It would be nice to see the NCRS judging sheets, to see what comments they may have about the pad stamping.

As others have said, $48,000 seems strong for an LT-1 coupe, in today's economy. That's even the high end for a convertible, as far as I'm concerned.

A bunch of exterior pictures, aren't much help. Under car and engine compartment pictures, would tell you a lot more about the car. In photographs, almost all cars look nice on the outside.

Last edited by gbvette62; 07-04-2013 at 03:27 PM.
Old 07-04-2013, 03:43 PM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Originally Posted by gbvette62
The word "restamp" should scare you!

The Protect-O-Plate will give you the original owners name, the VIN and some other information. It will not prove anything about a restamped block.

From looking at the picture of the block, the seller may mean that the pad is a factory grind out. This happened when the info stamped on the block was wrong, or there was a problem with the engine, causing it to be pulled from the line and repaired. Either way, the Protect-O-Plate, has nothing to do with that. If it is a grind out, you need to have someone familiar with stamp pads, verify what your looking at, so that you don't get burned!

You need to clarify exactly what the seller was talking about. It would be nice to see the NCRS judging sheets, to see what comments they may have about the pad stamping.

As others have said, $48,000 seems strong for an LT-1 coupe, in today's economy. That's even the high end for a convertible, as far as I'm concerned.

A bunch of exterior pictures, aren't much help. Under car and engine compartment pictures, would tell you a lot more about the car. In photographs, almost all cars look nice on the outside.
Yes the seller confirmed he was speaking about it being a grind out at the factory. I will see if there are any comments.
Old 07-04-2013, 04:17 PM
Grumpy78
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Found this LT1 convertible.
http://www.easyautosales.com/used-ca...-94903851.html
Old 07-04-2013, 05:04 PM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Grumpy78
First and foremost, Happy Independence Day to you and your family.

Secondly, thank you so much for taking the time doing a search for 1971 corvettes. This is not the first time you have done this. I want to be certain you know that I greatly appreciate it.

Regarding the one you linked above. Not to beat around the bush, although a rare color, steel cities gray is not my favorite. If I were to shell out that amount of cash I would prefer to get one of my favorite colors, red, sunflower yellow, I would even consider a green combo.

I want to let you know that a forum member convinced me I should check into one of the other corvettes you linked me earlier. I am doing just that. There are some issues with it BUT if it is priced appropriately, I could perhaps see myself getting serious with this one. Thank you and best regards.

Get notified of new replies

To The highly documented Red 1971 LT-1

Old 07-04-2013, 06:30 PM
Grumpy78
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These things pop up when I'm searching for my next project, I'm looking for a '69 - '72 project car. My '78 is almost completed and it's time start planning the next one. Good luck with your quest.
Old 07-05-2013, 02:33 AM
jr9170
Race Director

Received 1,069 Likes on 755 Posts

48k is on the side for a LT1 with a stamp pad issue.That SCG LT1 looks like a nice car in a great color.
Old 07-05-2013, 06:40 AM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jr9170
48k is on the side for a LT1 with a stamp pad issue.That SCG LT1 looks like a nice car in a great color.
Please pardon my misunderstanding. When you say "on the side" what is meant by this? Also SGT? Thank you and best regards.

Quick Reply: The highly documented Red 1971 LT-1