C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Red flags??? Need help w LT1 purchase...

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 09:15 PM
levrac68
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Darr... Sending you a PM. That would be great since my guy backed out late this afternoon.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:52 PM
Duane4238
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 93 Posts

I'm going to agree with everyone on the missing or wrong parts that have been pointed out in the pictures you provided. In my experience, I don't believe the car is an original 30k miles car. Too many things stand out for that. One little thing that was mentioned was the missing emissions sticker above the master cylinder. If the car had 30k, that sticker would still be there. My '72 has 60k original miles put on by me over the last 40 years and that sticker looks like new. This one was removed when the engine compartment was repainted when the engine was removed for the rebuild. I know there are reasons for rebuilding an engine at 30k, but if the car was taken care of properly, that shouldn't have happened. That should indicate to you how the rest of the car may have been treated. Take the advice of the expert when he does his inspection and good luck.
Duane
Old 09-16-2013, 10:04 PM
lvmyvt76
Melting Slicks

Received 121 Likes on 118 Posts

SOOOOOOO, has this car been freshened up to look like a new car off the line or just original??
Old 09-17-2013, 07:32 AM
levrac68
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by lvmyvt76
SOOOOOOO, has this car been freshened up to look like a new car off the line or just original??
The jury is still out, but it looks like a little bit of both. I'm waiting on a few pics and documentation from the dealer. The inspection and appraisal didn't happen yesterday so I'm going to have to try another person.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:56 AM
Chuck72
Le Mans Master

Received 139 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by levrac68
The jury is still out, but it looks like a little bit of both. I'm waiting on a few pics and documentation from the dealer. The inspection and appraisal didn't happen yesterday so I'm going to have to try another person.
While you're waiting, you might consider carefully looking at the excellent pictures contained in these two listings. Lots of information can be gleaned from just looking.

Notice, among other things, that neither car has the smog pump, etc..

Also, note the left valve cover on both cars, emission sticker, and engine stamp pad, also tranny stamping.

Viewing these pics. will give you insight into how things should appear, (for the most part), although very few cars today are correct to a high standard, and is reflected in pricing.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1972-CHEVY-CORVETTE-LT-1-COUPE-350-4-SPD-ORIGINAL-INVOICE-TANK-STICKER-PS-PW-PB-/331015920648?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item4d12161c08
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1972-Chevrolet-Corvette-LT-1-25K-Original-Miles-/271278951066?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item3f297c4a9a
Educate yourself, because, if you buy first, you will then get a real education.

Old 09-17-2013, 09:50 AM
LT-1 kid
Melting Slicks

Received 251 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironcross
If you're interested in LT-1`s because of performance, the correct Vette is the 1970... the later two years are only LT-1 in name only, not because of performance...But except for the price {too high} for a 72, it would be a good entry level car to the Vette Kingdom
this information is bs

Last edited by LT-1 kid; 09-17-2013 at 12:33 PM. Reason: misspelling
Old 09-17-2013, 10:15 AM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm NO expert in evaluating the correctness of a LT-1 corvette, but I am an EXPERT in dealing with car dealerships and I can tell you that, most, NOT all, dealerships will feed you everything you want to hear.

All the above posted is typical, nothing surprising. I would be very careful and that negotiated price? Doesn't seem like much of a negotiation considering the asking price.

I would want to see a closeup pic of the stamp pad, trim tag. There does not seem to be ANY on the website advertisement? Why? Things that make you go hmmmmm.....

Good luck with your search.

Old 09-17-2013, 06:10 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 583 Likes on 504 Posts

Ok guys, Levrac68 called me today and I agreed to go have a look at the car. Let me first say, I'm not an LT1 expert and explained this to him and let him know that I would be happy to go help him out. So, with the Corvette knowledge of all of the experts here, I'll make a list of things specific to the LT1 to look for. Maybe we can help him make the right decision about this car. I had planned to go over there today, but they close at 5pm and I didn't get home from work till after 4. I am shooting for Thursday afternoon.
First item on the list is the engine stamp pad, if it's been decked off, there's no more proof, so we'll see.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:10 PM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Originally Posted by '75
Ok guys, Levrac68 called me today and I agreed to go have a look at the car. Let me first say, I'm not an LT1 expert and explained this to him and let him know that I would be happy to go help him out. So, with the Corvette knowledge of all of the experts here, I'll make a list of things specific to the LT1 to look for. Maybe we can help him make the right decision about this car. I had planned to go over there today, but they close at 5pm and I didn't get home from work till after 4. I am shooting for Thursday afternoon.
First item on the list is the engine stamp pad, if it's been decked off, there's no more proof, so we'll see.
I am so glad you are going to look at this car for this member. Hey if it turns out to be a nice car that you think is advertised as is, hey it would be one of few. Congratulations would be in order!

I hate to be very suspicious but I am. Anytime I see an advertisement anywhere that uses NCRS to try to convince buyers that this is an authentic car and add value to really does not impress me. The ONLY time NCRS should come into play is if this car was actually judged. I believe anyone can get a NCRS report that just tells some history if they have it on file. I'm no expert but I don't think this car would do well at all at any event in its current condition. There are a number of things wrong which were pointed out. Nobody mentioned the non original radio either. Something really bothers me and as I said I am glad there is someone to look at this car.

To the OP, do not get discouraged if it is reported that this car is nothing more than a cleaned up and polished driver that isn't even close to what it should be. You are very SMART for having someone look at this car before you decide to purchase. I have been in your shoes for years and am still looking for the right car. Keep us posted.

Old 09-17-2013, 08:51 PM
levrac68
Melting Slicks

First off, I'd like to thank '75 for helping me. I appreciate whatever he can do and he's saving me a trip for what could be a big disappointment.

If I wasn't skeptical I wouldn't have bothered to post what I did here.

Second, I have to tell you that I not only spoke to Gary Mortimer from the NCRS membership, but I also wrote Stan Falenski (NCRS Team Leader for the 1970-1972 model years) regarding the issue of certification and this car. I was happily surprised that he responded so quickly. He verified what has been stated on here and wrote that he is following this post which I think is great.

I've been on this forum for over 12 years and the members here have always shared a wealth of information to help out. It's been a fantastic place to learn and share...
Old 09-17-2013, 08:57 PM
oldschoolvette
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tokim
Can't improve on the information/advise given by Mike Ward..you'd be wise to follow it.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:08 PM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Mike Ward
Forgive my being blunt, but this is a classic case of lambs to slaughter. This car is probably one of the most desirable combos of it's era and I'm betting is priced accordingly. The dealer's advertising makes it sound 'perfect' and the pictures make many a man start thinking with his trouser brain and rush in with cash before someone else gets it.

Many have done exactly this only to find later that their dream car is nowhere near what they assumed and they've overpaid by tens of thousands.

Being that you were not aware that four wheel disk and removable rear window are standard features and not options I'm guessing that you are not familiar with C3 cars. This leaves litte chance that even a close up and personal inspection by yourself will disclose whether this car matches the illusion.

Some quick points:

Ignition shielding is missing in part.

NCRS does not certify cars.

Never seen any letter with such wording. That's not what the NCRS does. Got a copy? How do you know the engine in the car now is the one referred to?

Bottom line:

Hire a qualified inspector to look at the car while you follow him around.
First off, I'd like to thank '75 for helping me. I appreciate whatever he can do and he's saving me a trip for what could be a big disappointment.

Second, I have to tell you that I not only spoke to Gary Mortimer from the NCRS membership, but I also wrote Stan Falenski (NCRS Team Leader for the 1970-1972 model years) regarding the issue of certification and this car. I was happily surprised that he responded so quickly. He verified what has been stated on here and wrote that he is following this post which I think is great.

I've been on this forum for over 12 years and the members here have always shared a wealth of information to help out. It's been a fantastic place to learn and share...
I'm confused here. Please offer an olive branch. What do you mean he has verified what has been stated here? Verifying was in the ad? Verifying that the car is indeed an LT-1? NCRS certification? Has this car been judged? Have they seen this car before?

It was my understanding as Mike Ward has said that the NCRS does not certify cars. I don't know what to make of this.

Sorry I am but it sounds like you are going about this the right way.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:38 PM
levrac68
Melting Slicks

Verified that the NCRS does not certify cars. They judge them. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:51 PM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Verified that the NCRS does not certify cars. They judge them. Sorry for the confusion.
Ah okay we are now in the clear regarding understanding. Thank you.

Well, make certain we get some clear shots of that engine stamp and trim tag. They need to be looked at very closely. I would have asked the dealer a long time ago to send that to me via email but just as well. Get it inspected and we will check it then.

Old 09-17-2013, 09:58 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

No need to apologize- the confusion is very widespread even amongst long time owners and unfortunately this is sometimes deliberately exploited. A lot of the bashers get their pants in a wad over what they think the awards are and not what the awards actually mean.

On the other hand, a Flight Award is always something to be proud of. It takes a lot of hard work and dedication to bring a car up to judging standards.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:10 PM
David Mc
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I've got nothing to add except the absence of the emission sticker sure stands out.

My '72 was a daily driver that I somewhat abused for 10 years. A wreck before I bought it, a couple paint jobs and my sticker is still perfectly legible.

It doesn't make sense for a 30,000 mile car to have it's sticker missing.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:25 AM
levrac68
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by theblackvette
Ah okay we are now in the clear regarding understanding. Thank you.

Well, make certain we get some clear shots of that engine stamp and trim tag. They need to be looked at very closely. I would have asked the dealer a long time ago to send that to me via email but just as well. Get it inspected and we will check it then.

I did ask him, before I posted here, for that and the NCRS letter also.

Thank you all again for your responses.
I secured another LT1 two days ago, in the likely event that this one turns out to be less of what it is touted to be by the dealer...

Get notified of new replies

To Red flags??? Need help w LT1 purchase...

Old 09-18-2013, 06:47 AM
theblackvette
Safety Car

I did ask him, before I posted here, for that and the NCRS letter also.

Thank you all again for your responses.
I secured another LT1 two days ago, in the likely event that this one turns out to be less of what it is touted to be by the dealer...
Well since he hasn't sent you a picture of that stamp pad after your request that alone would make me run. On top of that no emission sticker with a claim of only 30,000 miles. Then that paint job and still no ncrs letter. Sounds like the garbage that has been fed to me by every other car dealer I dealt with. I would get a head start and start looking at plan B. The chances of this car you presented in this thread to be worth your negotiated price is slim to none.

Last edited by theblackvette; 09-18-2013 at 06:49 AM.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:49 PM
Crafty12
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

levrac68,

Here is a link to a thread that dealt with my 70 LT1 purchase. Might be something helpful in it for you or '75.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-g...ting-tips.html
Old 09-18-2013, 02:12 PM
levrac68
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Crafty12
levrac68,

Here is a link to a thread that dealt with my 70 LT1 purchase. Might be something helpful in it for you or '75.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-g...ting-tips.html
Great. THank you. I read that a while back, but its a nice refresher.

Quick Reply: Red flags??? Need help w LT1 purchase...