Sponsored by:

1970 unplanned restoration

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 11:14 PM
Texas70
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jasonb86
Impressive work. Especially in a short amount of time. What are your ultimate plans for the car?
I am planning to get the car back together in as good of condition as possible (within reason $$$$) and just drive it. It should still be a great representation of a 1970 Corvette, but it will never be close to a NCRS type car. When I bought it, I was looking for something that could be used regularly. I just did not know it was such a piece of crap. All of the running gear will be new, so I should have a reliable and clean driver type car when done. It will never be worth the original purchase price plus restoration money, but I hope to be able to just enjoy it for several years at least. That is the best I can hope for.
Old 05-05-2014, 11:37 PM
LT1driver
Le Mans Master

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

generally speaking, unless you bought a classic vette back in the day you will never recoup the money put into it. enjoy and know the 70 is a low production car due to strike in 69 and it is my favorite and only steel bumper car I will own....have owned 4 counting current one I have..mulsanne blue t-top
Old 05-05-2014, 11:46 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,199 Likes on 2,756 Posts

I red the whole thred!

It's great to see how far along you are considering everything!

Take a break when necessary....don't burn yourself out....the frame is looking good-even if it is two-tone...LOL

Old 05-06-2014, 12:13 AM
RBrid
Burning Brakes

Received 303 Likes on 185 Posts

Default Nice progress

Hey Texas70, you're moving fast. I wish you the best in your endeavor. Keep us posted.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:17 AM
Texas70
Instructor

Originally Posted by LT1driver
generally speaking, unless you bought a classic vette back in the day you will never recoup the money put into it.
I have already written off the money as one of life's lessons, so far none of those have been cheap...LOL

Now I am just focusing on getting the car back together so I can have a little fun. Reassembly should be a little faster than some on this site since I am not overly concerned with making sure every piece is the correct color and date code. I am just going for being close to correct and having everything work as it should (lights, fiber optics, birdcage, etc.).
Old 05-11-2014, 10:18 PM
Texas70
Instructor

Didn't get to do much during the week, but I tried to make up for it over the weekend. Of course when you get in a hurry, that is when things get messed up.

Notice I have the rear end (with new seals installed) and one trailing arm installed? Well I left the two side washers off the flared tube in the bushings When I was getting ready to do the second side, I looked in my box of parts and noticed the washers.

I now need another flared tube.

I also managed to finish running and securing the brake lines.

It is taking a lot of time to disassemble, blast/wire wheel, prime, paint and re-assemble everything. Actually installing it is a piece of cake.

Hopefully this week will be more productive, I think I may have a little system now.
Old 05-12-2014, 03:50 AM
Sunstroked
Melting Slicks

Received 146 Likes on 114 Posts

Keep up the good work.
Old 05-16-2014, 10:27 PM
Texas70
Instructor

Finally getting some momentum going. I have to admit, changing the u-joints on the half shafts was kicking my ***. I have changed a lot of u-joints on various vehicles, but this were giving me grief like never before. Anyway, glad that process is over.

The replacement rear bushing sleeve should be here Monday, once that is installed I will be able to mount the tires and drop it on the ground.

Old 05-17-2014, 12:58 AM
PeteZO6
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

I'm impressed with your drive to get the car back to where you want it. The hobby thrives on guys like you.
Keep up the good work!
Old 05-24-2014, 11:02 PM
Texas70
Instructor

I have it back on the wheels. I would have had the engine and transmission in, but I got stuck on the most unlikely issue. Not a single parts house in my town had a pilot bushing so I will need to order one. The way they were acting, you would think nobody drives or works on standard autos any more.

Oh, just for a heads up. Do not attempt to use your wife for ballast while you load the rear leaf spring It got ugly once she realized why I asked her to sit up on the tank. Lucky for me it did not work, I don't think I would have heard the end of it. Ended up using a strap and floor jack.

Old 05-25-2014, 05:47 AM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 796 Likes on 620 Posts

Default 1970

Everything looks real nice so far. My 69 was also a basket case with the frame pretty well rusted in the back. It's nice to see another vette being saved and keep up the great work. Sometimes gets hard but we can do it.
R
Old 05-25-2014, 07:59 AM
1974ta
Melting Slicks

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Pilot Bushing

Make sure you get a pilot bushing that is not magnetic.

A company called Autogear makes the correct pilot bushing out of the correct oilite bronze material.

Looking good.

Bill
Old 05-25-2014, 08:06 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,199 Likes on 2,756 Posts

After realizing I had been taken on the purchase of my 1970 coupe, I decided to suck it up and repair the car."

It's no longer that you have been taken......

But it's where you are taking a great car one step at a time....

Old 05-25-2014, 09:47 PM
Texas70
Instructor

Worked out my pilot bushing issue, so I dropped the engine/tranny assembly in. At least it looks like something is happening and the mess in my garage is shrinking.

Old 05-25-2014, 10:54 PM
Lobzila
Pro

Received 105 Likes on 86 Posts

I cant tell from the pictures and I hope you already did this but.
Check to make sure the frame is straight. My bodyman did this for me when I got it back from sandblasting and powdercoating and found it was a bit off. Easier to mount the body panels that way. And before you put the body back on it, take this time to reinforce the frame in a few spots in the corners. You are doing a great job on that car and I look forward to your progress. I am stuck in engine hell!
Old 05-26-2014, 05:53 AM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Default 70 vette

You are right when it comes to looking like your getting somewhere when the engine goes back in. I am also trying to get mine to the point that you are at. It was suggested to me to not torque the control arm bolts and the rear spring until the full weight of the body goes back on. You may already know that but was not sure, anyway things look good and you are getting more space back in the garage. A 2 foooor!
R
Old 05-26-2014, 07:21 AM
Jasonb86
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Work looks great, and I think you've hit some kind of "frame off" speed record. I've been working diligently on a 1952 john deere pedal car since before you started this thread, and I think we're at about the same place.

Get notified of new replies

To 1970 unplanned restoration

Old 05-26-2014, 10:43 AM
Texas70
Instructor

Originally Posted by rvzio
You are right when it comes to looking like your getting somewhere when the engine goes back in. I am also trying to get mine to the point that you are at. It was suggested to me to not torque the control arm bolts and the rear spring until the full weight of the body goes back on. You may already know that but was not sure, anyway things look good and you are getting more space back in the garage. A 2 foooor!
R
I read Alan's post in your thread, so everything is still loose. I still have a few small details left (clutch linkage, exhaust, shocks, etc.), those little things are time eaters. I may push the roller aside and do some work on the rear clip. I have worked on it some while waiting for other parts to arrive, but there is a long way to go.

Old 05-26-2014, 10:53 AM
Texas70
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jasonb86
Work looks great, and I think you've hit some kind of "frame off" speed record. I've been working diligently on a 1952 john deere pedal car since before you started this thread, and I think we're at about the same place.
I bought the car to drive around, I would like to get back to that point as soon as possible. Since I never watch TV, I have a few hours a day to spend in the shop after work. If I were not rebuilding this car, I would be doing something else in the shop anyway.
Old 05-26-2014, 01:15 PM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Default 70

Well thanks for reading my post, Alan is some great support for guys like us. Good deal then carry on. Now it will start to get exciting.
R

Quick Reply: 1970 unplanned restoration