Sponsored by:

Vintage Air purchase

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 01:54 AM
Brass Pass
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Vintage Air purchase

I've almost convinced myself to purchase a Vintage Air a/c system for my 72 while I have the interior out. I don't want to spend anymore money on the factory a/c system.

I was planning on buying from Summit for the price break using Summit Bucks and their free shipping. My concern is that if I have a problem during the install Vintage Air might not want to help me out since I purchased from Summit and not directly from them.

Anybody run into this?
Old 07-10-2014, 02:06 AM
1969RAY
Burning Brakes

Received 252 Likes on 112 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I bought mine from a company that has since gone away but when I had a couple of questions, the Vintage Air rep was great help. I'd say buy from who you want.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:30 AM
Jasonb86
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The vendor you buy from doesn't matter- they all drop ship from vintage air. I bought mine from a guy on eBay who had the best price. Boxes came direct from vintage.
Old 07-10-2014, 09:24 AM
donnie1956
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a few questions about my install in my 78 and VA was very helpful on the phone support.
Old 07-10-2014, 09:28 AM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

as long as summit is an authorized dealer you will be fine. summit also has some of the best customer service out there.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:43 AM
sweeet76
Burning Brakes

The best thing about the VA system over the factory system, is you can install it and worry about something else. Mine is 2 1/2 years old and living in Florida, it gets plenty of use. Once the inside of the car cools down, I usually have to lower the fan speed or freeze. I also installed an electric fan in front of the radiator which kicks in when I'm stopped at a light, etc.
Old 07-10-2014, 11:02 AM
Brass Pass
Melting Slicks

Thank you for your replies. I'll probably go with Summit.
Old 07-10-2014, 11:06 AM
GregS_72
Racer

Location: St Louis MO http://1972corvetterestomod.blogspot.com/
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by sweeet76
The best thing about the VA system over the factory system, is you can install it and worry about something else. Mine is 2 1/2 years old and living in Florida, it gets plenty of use. Once the inside of the car cools down, I usually have to lower the fan speed or freeze. I also installed an electric fan in front of the radiator which kicks in when I'm stopped at a light, etc.
don't mean to hijack... but sweet76, can you send a pic of your engine bay/firewall area? Curious to see how the VA system cleans up the inside of the engine bay? Thanks!
Old 07-10-2014, 11:06 AM
Brass Pass
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by sweeet76
Thats about it... worry about something else.

I just came back from the Destin, Santa Rosa Beach area and hearing it cools your car down that much is a good endorsement for Vintage Air.
Old 07-10-2014, 11:43 AM
Sunstroked
Melting Slicks

Received 146 Likes on 114 Posts

I'm in the process of installing a VA into my 72. I bought from zip. Although the install itself seems fairly straight forward, a few things you may want to consider.
Re: insulation. I'm installing dynamat and dynaliner on the firewall and dash while accessible. You may want to do the same.
Re: polishing or plating/powdercoat of compressor brackets.
The polishing of a compressor isn't cheap, around $125 in my area. If it's something you are interested in, find out if you can pay an upgrade fee for a polished one. Cheaper than having it done. Also the brackets come bare steel. Chroming them was $85 locally. Just something to consider.
Other than that, 1 other installation glitch I found was with mounting the evaporator unit itself. The directions are conflicting. Page 14 tells you to use firewall templates and drill holes in the firewall. Don't. Page 17 tells you to utilize the firewall cover itself as a template and drill the outbd (left) hole. That's correct.
All in all a nicely engineered unit.
Old 07-10-2014, 12:05 PM
Brass Pass
Melting Slicks

Thanks for the tips.

I was planning to Dynamat the firewall, but I'll have to look into Dynaliner also.

Did you buy the Electric Fan Kit (VA Part #302686-CCA) also? If so, how is the clearance between the fan placement and hood...real tight?
Old 07-10-2014, 04:58 PM
Sunstroked
Melting Slicks

Received 146 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Brass Pass
Thanks for the tips.

I was planning to Dynamat the firewall, but I'll have to look into Dynaliner also.

Did you buy the Electric Fan Kit (VA Part #302686-CCA) also? If so, how is the clearance between the fan placement and hood...real tight?
No I didn't. I'm still running the stock clutch fan. If I go electric I'll get something a.long the lines of what Dewitt's sells. I'm using 1 of their radiators. But I wouldn't think the VA fan would interfere with the hood, but it may interfere with my electric headlight motors.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:17 PM
Tim 1973
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by MndShp
don't mean to hijack... but sweet76, can you send a pic of your engine bay/firewall area? Curious to see how the VA system cleans up the inside of the engine bay? Thanks!
Here is the inside and engine compartment. BTW I purchased the inside part of my system from VA and the engine compartment from sumit Racing. it's Direct shipping and did not have to pay the state TAX or shipping.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:47 PM
sweeet76
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MndShp
I see tim71 got you a picture but I will also get you one either tomorrow of Saturday. It makes a big difference.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:22 PM
Tim 1973
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

The previous pictures were taken with body on a dolly. Here is one with body on the frame. I have Hooker side pipes and a LS engine. If you need pictures of the condenser and the front of the Radiator let me know. I do not have the lines and pump installed yet.

Hope it gives you a idea on how much room you gain. I did not convert it for the room but did not want to deal with the vacuum requirements on the stock system. The VA system does not use any vacuum.

Old 07-10-2014, 10:32 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 548 Likes on 375 Posts

I haven't had to call Vintage Air for factory support, but as far as I know they are very helpful. Buying for Summit doesn't change anything.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:33 PM
minitech
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

I called and asked quite a few questions about a VA install. Never was asked where it came from. They have good support for the product.

Get notified of new replies

To Vintage Air purchase

Old 07-10-2014, 10:58 PM
sweeet76
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Brass Pass
Thanks for the tips.

The electric fan will keep the hood from opening aii of the way but still plenty to do any work needed. I had to actually shorten the bracket shaft or what ever the correct name for it is where the hood will stay up by itself. I only cut a couple of inches off with a Dremel.
Old 07-10-2014, 11:24 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Vintage Air customer service is excellent...regardless of who you buy it from...

I have two Vintage Air systems and love them both....Had great luck with them... After wasting about $2k on the factory AC system trying to keep it working right, I made the switch..... Wish I had done it sooner.

Make sure to NOT buy from CopperHead racing/automotive on ebay..... They were the cheapest on VA kits but it was a classic ponzy scheme.... Luckily I got my money back from them and went through a local VA dealer..
Old 07-11-2014, 12:54 AM
Brass Pass
Melting Slicks

The deed is done. I purchased from Summit and it will be dropped shipped from Vintage Air.

Thank you all for the advice and pictures. I know it will come in handy when I start the install.

Quick Reply: Vintage Air purchase