Sponsored by:

Key Buzzer: How to disable

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 05:37 PM
71 Green 454
Le Mans Master

Received 1,186 Likes on 650 Posts

Default Key Buzzer: How to disable

My key buzzer now buzzes when the key is removed and the door is opened. It used to shut off if I wiggled the ignition.

Which wire can I disconnect from the buzzer to disable it?

Thanks
Old 07-30-2014, 06:05 PM
tpfarm
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by 71 Green 454
My key buzzer now buzzes when the key is removed and the door is opened. It used to shut off if I wiggled the ignition.

Which wire can I disconnect from the buzzer to disable it?

Thanks
My 73 is doing the same thing, maybe someone will chime in to help us both.
Old 07-30-2014, 06:10 PM
Mashman
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This should help - http://jimshea.corvettefaq.com/wp-co...Diagnosis1.doc

It sounds like the tab is stuck in the ignition cylinder. I think if you simply use a paperclip and remove the pink wire from the connector on the chassis side of the colomn connector, that should disable the buzzer until you fix/replace the ignition cylinder.

Send thanks to Jim Shea for the doc.
Old 07-30-2014, 06:13 PM
71 Green 454
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by tpfarm
My 73 is doing the same thing, maybe someone will chime in to help us both.
Hopefully someone will respond.

I shouldn't have to ask, but the wires that plug into the buzzer won't unplug. I can't see a release on the connectors and I don't want to damage them. This component hasn't been touched since the car was built.
Old 07-30-2014, 06:36 PM
Mick71
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15,'21

Mine too.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:53 PM
riverracer au
Melting Slicks

Received 294 Likes on 178 Posts

i removed the "pink" wire (forget exactly at the moment) from the harmonica wire connector under the column.
just used a small jewlers screwdriver to release the clip/prong on the brass pin.
then just taped it up.

no more annoying sound
Old 07-30-2014, 11:13 PM
gsimon767
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

The key buzzer is plugged into the wiring harness between the top of the speedo and tach. It can be unplugged and removed and no more buzz. Unfortunately you will need to remove the driver side dash or the dash cover to get to it.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:33 AM
Frankenvette
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

This was recently happening to me as well. Before taking any other steps, I used copious amounts of WD40. I sprayed directly into the ignition cylinder and also sprayed some directly on the key and inserted it. Did this a couple of times and sure enough the buzzer stopped when key removed.
Old 07-31-2014, 01:42 PM
71 Green 454
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by gsimon767
The key buzzer is plugged into the wiring harness between the top of the speedo and tach. It can be unplugged and removed and no more buzz. Unfortunately you will need to remove the driver side dash or the dash cover to get to it.

Help, Alan 71 to the white courtesy phone.......I'll bet you have a picture!

On a '71, isn't the key buzzer/horn relay one unit that is mounted on the drivers side wheel well? There are 3 small gauge wires that are connected on the bottom of the relay, along with some heavier gauge wires under 2 screws. I can't pull the connectors off to isolate the key buzzer wire, not sure if there is a connector release, or if the connectors are stuck.

http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/corve...1966-1971.html

Last edited by 71 Green 454; 07-31-2014 at 01:55 PM.
Old 07-31-2014, 02:35 PM
Mashman
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 71 Green 454
Help, Alan 71 to the white courtesy phone.......I'll bet you have a picture!

On a '71, isn't the key buzzer/horn relay one unit that is mounted on the drivers side wheel well? There are 3 small gauge wires that are connected on the bottom of the relay, along with some heavier gauge wires under 2 screws. I can't pull the connectors off to isolate the key buzzer wire, not sure if there is a connector release, or if the connectors are stuck.

http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/corve...1966-1971.html

Did you look at the document I linked to in my prior post?

Last edited by Mashman; 07-31-2014 at 02:38 PM.
Old 07-31-2014, 03:26 PM
71 Green 454
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Mashman
Did you look at the document I linked to in my prior post?
Yes, I did and thank you for that information. I don't want to remove the steering wheel at this time. I'm pretty sure it's a stuck tab in the ignition, but I just want to disconnect the wire that activates the buzzer so I can finish installing the new battery.

I'm assuming that one of the smaller gauge wires removed at the buzzer will resolve my issue.

Update:
Tomorrow I will disconnect the pink/black wire at the horn/buzzer relay and see if that stops the buzzer without affecting the horns.

Last edited by 71 Green 454; 07-31-2014 at 04:30 PM.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:20 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,220 Likes on 1,732 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

It's really simple-

Just pull the courtesy light door trigger switch on the driver side. There's a black and white wire...cut the black one and tape up. Of course it probably won't be that easy...might have to pull the kick panel and sill plate because the wires might not let you pull out the switch far enough to access.

Richard
Old 07-31-2014, 08:20 PM
71 Green 454
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Richard454
It's really simple-

Just pull the courtesy light door trigger switch on the driver side. There's a black and white wire...cut the black one and tape up. Of course it probably won't be that easy...might have to pull the kick panel and sill plate because the wires might not let you pull out the switch far enough to access.

Richard
Thanks Richard, yes I thought of that too, but I was thinking the buzzer location would be an easier and quicker access. The connectors are tightly connected at the buzzer/relay and won't pull off and I don't want to damage anything. Maybe I'll look at the trigger switch instead.

I'm not that concerned about the key buzzer, heck, I don't think I've locked the car since the '80's.

Thanks again.

Last edited by 71 Green 454; 07-31-2014 at 08:22 PM.
Old 08-26-2014, 02:18 PM
71 Green 454
Le Mans Master

It's really simple-

Richard
Thanks Richard, that did the trick and it was easy to remove the sill plate and kick panel. I could have done it without remove those items since I could see the white and black wires above the kick panel, but to be certain I removed them. I cut the black one, taped it up, and no more irritating buzzing!
Old 06-07-2017, 07:46 PM
khhvet
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door buzzer

It's really simple-

Richard
Hello Richard. Almost three years after you posted this you helped another Corvette owner AGAIN! Purchased a 71 Coupe yesterday. Very original, loaded, red/red car with all documentation. The buzzer went off with the door open and the key nowhere near the ignition switch. The previous owner had been listening to that obnoxious noise for a long time. I hate that noise! Thanks to you I won't have to listen to it again, ever! (I did put male and female connectors on the ends of the black wire after cutting it. Just in case the next owner likes that sound!) Thanks again Richard!
Old 06-07-2017, 09:38 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by khhvet
Hello Richard. Almost three years after you posted this you helped another Corvette owner AGAIN! Purchased a 71 Coupe yesterday. Very original, loaded, red/red car with all documentation. The buzzer went off with the door open and the key nowhere near the ignition switch. The previous owner had been listening to that obnoxious noise for a long time. I hate that noise! Thanks to you I won't have to listen to it again, ever! (I did put male and female connectors on the ends of the black wire after cutting it. Just in case the next owner likes that sound!) Thanks again Richard!
You are welcome!!!!

Another thing I did-
I put a switch in line with the white wire for the courtesy lights-
As too often I have the door open working in the car and I either drain the battery down OR the bulb burns me!!!!

Richard
Old 06-07-2017, 09:44 PM
khhvet
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In line switch

You are welcome!!!!

Another thing I did-
I put a switch in line with the white wire for the courtesy lights-
As too often I have the door open working in the car and I either drain the battery down OR the bulb burns me!!!!

Richard
Another great idea! Where did you hide the switch and what kind of switch is it?

Keith
Old 06-07-2017, 10:02 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

hey Keith-

I just used a simple toggle switch underneath the dash.

Officially known as a "SPST"- single pole single throw

Richard
Old 06-08-2017, 12:14 AM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Received 416 Likes on 337 Posts

To disable the key buzzer just unplug the one single red wire with the black plug to the horn relay on the left inner fender. It is the one closest to the engine with a plug, not the ones with screws. If you look at Mashman's link to the ecklers pic you will see 3 center terminals that plug in. It is the single spade terminal shown at the bottom of the pic just below the two that are side by side. When mounted in the car it is the easiest one to get at which is amazing for a Corvette. No tools required and it only takes a second to do. Just wiggle it and it slides right off the spade terminal on the relay. Everything else will work except that pesky buzzer and you don't have to take anything apart or cut any wires.

Last edited by CanadaGrant; 06-08-2017 at 01:24 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Key Buzzer: How to disable

Quick Reply: Key Buzzer: How to disable