What did you do to your C3 today?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 12:27 PM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by OldCarBum
I finally had to go to some bigger guns.
This...
Did you try hitting it with a hot air gun?[/quote]

I haven't done the other side yet.
I'll try that on the other door.
Old 03-20-2019, 01:03 PM
caskiguy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 843 Likes on 659 Posts

Originally Posted by Street Rat
Did you try hitting it with a hot air gun?
I'll try that on the other door.[/QUOTE] Try Citrus Strip or Goop Off ?
Old 03-20-2019, 05:28 PM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by caskiguy
I'll try that on the other door.
Try Citrus Strip or Goop Off ? [/quote]

Tried heat and Goo Gone without success.

Got the wire wheel on the other side and finished gluing that side.
Keeping doors shut for 24 hours and the deal is done.
Old 03-20-2019, 05:50 PM
caskiguy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Try Citrus Strip or Goop Off ?
Tried heat and Goo Gone without success.

Keeping doors shut for 24 hours and the deal is done.[/QUOTE]Congratulations !
The following users liked this post:
Street Rat (03-21-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 08:13 PM
M Pete
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Keeping doors shut for 24 hours and the deal is done.
The 3M adhesive eraser wheel is advertised to remove that stuff. I have never used it but plan on when I get around to fixing the weather strip.
Old 03-20-2019, 08:51 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,220 Likes on 1,732 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

I've had good luck with this stuff-You have to keep it 'wet' for it to work.

The following 2 users liked this post by Richard454:
caskiguy (03-21-2019), M Pete (03-22-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 09:54 PM
Motorvation
Racer

Received 107 Likes on 77 Posts

3M-08984 can be wicked stuff. Be careful and try an inconspicuous spot first. Dow U-424 Betaclean Urethane Adhesive cleaner will also work. Soak a paper towel and place it over the goo. Both cleaners can soften clear coat. You can wet surfaces you don't need product on with window cleaner/ water to protect them.

Steve O.
The following 2 users liked this post by Motorvation:
caskiguy (03-21-2019), Street Rat (03-21-2019)
Old 03-21-2019, 09:17 AM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Motorvation
Dow U-424 Betaclean Urethane Adhesive cleaner will also work.

Steve O.
The 3m adhesive cleaner did nothing.

I'll bet the Betaclean would do it. With a name like that it should!

I'll have to search for that stuff next time.

Craig
Old 03-21-2019, 10:32 AM
Primoz
Burning Brakes

Received 263 Likes on 128 Posts
2017 C3 of Year Finalist

Give this a try:
Amazon Amazon
Street Rat (03-28-2019)
Old 03-21-2019, 01:56 PM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Primoz
Give this a try:
Amazon Amazon
I would like to hear about the use of this tool. Has anybody used it to attack hard adhesive?
Some photos would be nice if you have them.
Old 03-21-2019, 03:21 PM
Primoz
Burning Brakes

Received 263 Likes on 128 Posts
2017 C3 of Year Finalist

I would like to hear about the use of this tool. Has anybody used it to attack hard adhesive?
Some photos would be nice if you have them.
Here it is! Couple of ways of removing decals and adhesives extensively described.

Last edited by Primoz; 03-21-2019 at 03:22 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Primoz:
red topless gator (03-22-2019), Street Rat (03-28-2019)
Old 03-27-2019, 06:48 PM
Lyndwood
Pro

Received 113 Likes on 64 Posts

after a long period of not working on my car due to abnormal health issues (for me) last year, I was able to finally get my new bumper cover fitted and tight and get all of my glass repairs and cracks fixed and sanded. now with a warm weekend forecasted I hope to get the bare glass (fixed area's) in epoxy primer and hit it hard next week with more leveling/filling and sanding to get ready for paint. DUB told me last year that I'd have the bumper cover on and off more than a couple times while doing my fitting (following his VPA instructions) and I have to say I had that dam cover on and off 20+ times, what pain in the ***, but now the gaps are tight and smooth, that guy knows his S**T!
Paul
onaqwst (04-29-2019)
Old 03-27-2019, 07:04 PM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,698 Likes on 2,938 Posts

Nice work.
20 times, Dang, I'm not looking forward to that on my 73!
Old 03-27-2019, 07:08 PM
caskiguy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Lyndwood

after a long period of not working on my car due to abnormal health issues (for me) last year, I was able to finally get my new bumper cover fitted and tight and get all of my glass repairs and cracks fixed and sanded. now with a warm weekend forecasted I hope to get the bare glass (fixed area's) in epoxy primer and hit it hard next week with more leveling/filling and sanding to get ready for paint. DUB told me last year that I'd have the bumper cover on and off more than a couple times while doing my fitting (following his VPA instructions) and I have to say I had that dam cover on and off 20+ times, what pain in the ***, but now the gaps are tight and smooth, that guy knows his S**T!
Paul
Glad you're healthy enough to start back at it. "If it was easy everybody would be doing it. "
Old 03-28-2019, 05:31 PM
Lyndwood
Pro

Received 113 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by caskiguy
Glad you're healthy enough to start back at it. "If it was easy everybody would be doing it. "
I hear that! my plan last years was to have the fiberglass repairs done and in primer in the spring then paint before summer to get out driving it. Well last spring I started off in late January with a week out of work with the Flu ( I never get the flu). Then in early march I started getting wicked hip and leg pains everyday till one morning I could not walk, I had to roll onto the floor and yell for my wife for help to get up. I went to the hospital fearing the worst and it ended up being diagnosed as Hip Bursitis. I was out of work another week saw 2 more doctors, they gave me some pain meds and and crouch's to use for a few weeks to stop moving my hip. they said there really nothing I can do about it. Pain got worst as the month went on (I walk alot at my job) and went to get a cortisone shot (hurt like hell) they said it should work for 6 months to a year (they lied it worked for 2 months). I learned to deal with the hip pain using CBD oil and aleve tablets. come june I started getting knee pain daily and eventually it started locking up on me daily. I dealt with that till October when my knee swelled up. I went to the hospital and was diagnosed with cellulitis (skin infection). out of work another 3 days and on meds. a week later my knee was still swollen and so was my whole leg from the knee down to my foot and the skin was red, back to the hospital. Now they say I need an operation asap, I have septic bursitis of the knee, out of work for 10 days with a leg immobility device (sucked) and staples over my knee and I had to leave the immobility harness on for the next 2 weeks after that and walk with a crutch. So this year I feel great, I learned to live with the bursitis and it has eased up compaired to last year, the knee is doing great and I made it threw flu season unscaved, so now I'm ready for some primer!
Old 03-28-2019, 05:46 PM
caskiguy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Lyndwood
I hear that! my plan last years was to have the fiberglass repairs done and in primer in the spring then paint before summer to get out driving it. Well last spring I started off in late January with a week out of work with the Flu ( I never get the flu). Then in early march I started getting wicked hip and leg pains everyday till one morning I could not walk, I had to roll onto the floor and yell for my wife for help to get up. I went to the hospital fearing the worst and it ended up being diagnosed as Hip Bursitis. I was out of work another week saw 2 more doctors, they gave me some pain meds and and crouch's to use for a few weeks to stop moving my hip. they said there really nothing I can do about it. Pain got worst as the month went on (I walk alot at my job) and went to get a cortisone shot (hurt like hell) they said it should work for 6 months to a year (they lied it worked for 2 months). I learned to deal with the hip pain using CBD oil and aleve tablets. come june I started getting knee pain daily and eventually it started locking up on me daily. I dealt with that till October when my knee swelled up. I went to the hospital and was diagnosed with cellulitis (skin infection). out of work another 3 days and on meds. a week later my knee was still swollen and so was my whole leg from the knee down to my foot and the skin was red, back to the hospital. Now they say I need an operation asap, I have septic bursitis of the knee, out of work for 10 days with a leg immobility device (sucked) and staples over my knee and I had to leave the immobility harness on for the next 2 weeks after that and walk with a crutch. So this year I feel great, I learned to live with the bursitis and it has eased up compaired to last year, the knee is doing great and I made it threw flu season unscaved, so now I'm ready for some primer!
Funny I seem to feel your pain. December my left hip went bananas and got worse, Xray, MRI, 2 cortisone shots (L & R) and I'm going to get my left hip replaced, but I said screw it and ordered my new engine yesterday ! LOL ! Getting old is a bitch
Glad to hear your better, keep pushing on !
Lyndwood (03-29-2019)
Old 03-28-2019, 06:33 PM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Today and most of yesterday was spent installing some Global West tubular front lower control arms. This installation didn't come without a few turns or headaches. It's funny because the problems that I had didn't appear in the video or the instructions.

The driver side installation had a hitch. I had to loosen and move the PS pump some to gain clearance for the the large rear control arm bolt. Not mentioned anywhere. When I set the car back on the ground, The left side of the car was sitting considerably higher. I'm absolutely sure the spring ends were seated correctly. So I believe the springs are going to need to be cut some to lower the front of the car. This sucks.

Sorry no pics. Too much frustration going on.

Anyway that's my tale of woe for the day.

Craig

Get notified of new replies

To What did you do to your C3 today?

Old 03-28-2019, 07:52 PM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,698 Likes on 2,938 Posts

I've felt that pain before.
Just stand back take a new look at it and everything will fall into place.
Good Luck
Street Rat (03-29-2019)
Old 03-29-2019, 05:46 AM
74_stingray
Burning Brakes

Received 280 Likes on 217 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor '19

Today and most of yesterday was spent installing some Global West tubular front lower control arms. This installation didn't come without a few turns or headaches. It's funny because the problems that I had didn't appear in the video or the instructions.

The driver side installation had a hitch. I had to loosen and move the PS pump some to gain clearance for the the large rear control arm bolt. Not mentioned anywhere. When I set the car back on the ground, The left side of the car was sitting considerably higher. I'm absolutely sure the spring ends were seated correctly. So I believe the springs are going to need to be cut some to lower the front of the car. This sucks.

Craig
Craig,
During my Global West install, I also had to loosen the p/s pump when installing the left side lower control arm in order to get the rear bolt in(and the old bolt out). I agree with OldCarBum, a fresh look this morning may make a difference. Look at your witness holes in the spring tower, you will know for sure if the spring is seated properly.

I wish you the best my friend. Man, you did a lot of work yesterday! Keep us posted. Those GW control arms are nice, very pleased with my GW control arm install.
Eddy
Street Rat (03-29-2019)
Old 03-29-2019, 05:58 AM
The Phantom
Drifting

Received 585 Likes on 385 Posts

Craig

I always go back to if it worked before, what changed? If the front of the car was level when you removed the old set up, then when reinstalled something changed. Recheck your springs, one side is not seated or the bushings could just be tight and need a drive to loosen up.

Remember ... we're just having fun ... right!😠

Dave
Street Rat (03-29-2019)

Quick Reply: What did you do to your C3 today?